C
Cylion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Skallewag
Originally Posted by Naqel
Experience for just killing NPCs should probably be gone completely.

Now you're just being egotistic. I have no issue with the argument to adjust XP so that you at least have the oportunity to gain the same XP for talking your way out of a situation as for fighting. But arguing to remove the XP for NPCs is to argue to just punish an evil playstyle intead of the good one. You argue for what suits your playstyle ignoring that there are people who think its more fun to kill NPCs.

Why should the game try to pidgeonhole people into any particular playstyle when it can simply be an option open for people how they want to play the game without being punished for it?

More specifically, if you want the game to be that way simply because it suits you, why should anyone be sympathetic to your view intead of just favouring their own? wink

All I want is something like this: A) Kills 3 NPC's gets 100x3=300xp. B) Don't kill one NPC but talk your way out = 300xp. C) Talk your way out = 300xp, kill the 3 NPC's after = 0xp

addict
addict
I was trying to do a good play through, Solve problems without murder.. but, no way. turns out if I solve problems I get XP and then if I kill them I get more xp... with XP being needed badly...I turned into a murder @_@

A
addict
addict
A
Well consider this: if you plan to kill everybody, you need the levels more to be more combat effective. If you're doing the "good" things and solving things without combat, you don't need to be as combat effective. Also, by focusing on the less combat aspects you get to experience things someone killing everyone doesn't.

Pacifists aren't normally as dangerous or strong as evil hobo barbarian killing everyone for power and giggles.

Instead of making do similar for each playstyle. The divergence in quests and how the story plays out should be its own reward for the "good" one. Maybe you'd get a nice family and farm and peaceful days ending vs the evil overlord with his mistress against the united world evil ending. The important thing is that a "good" play through doesn't make you feel like you lack the tools needed to reach the ending you want because of xp

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Ellary
I was trying to do a good play through, Solve problems without murder.. but, no way. turns out if I solve problems I get XP and then if I kill them I get more xp... with XP being needed badly...I turned into a murder @_@

You were never more than anything but a heartless murder machine to begin with; pretending otherwise does not befit your station.

As for the rest of you:

I think the options here are fine; you get xp for killing people and you also get xp for letting them live so the possibility of getting new quests or whatever else exists and, as with one of the quests involving Stingtail, turning your back on them or betraying or killing them might yield even more quests/xp.

So, the first magical playthrough, you'll generally reach the average needed to take on an encounter if they balance it out well enough.

I guess if you really want to find out how fucked up the xp is you would have to do multiple play throughs or mine the files for all the xp points. That's a ton of work.

Last edited by Limz; 05/10/16 09:47 PM.

NO! nonononononononononono no no no no no no no no no! Please no!

Last edited by Fyrestorme; 05/10/16 10:16 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Fyrestorme

You probably even killed the black cat that followed you around... murderer.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Limz
Originally Posted by Fyrestorme

isn't the black cat important to the story later?..I have been fortifying and healing them each battle

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Limz

I tried to talk to the cat many times and to pick up any clues to the progress of the quest but no luck. Now I just kill the damn cat every playthrough straight off the bat, cuz the ''meow'' gets annoying very fast.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I would love Larian studios for ever if they made "hobo barbarian" one of the preset classes and made a telent catering to the flavor of an evil murdering hobo barbarian. smile

veteran
veteran
isn't the black cat important to the story later?..I have been fortifying and healing them each battle

I doubt it, because there is zero requirement to take Pet Pal and Zero requirement to keep the cat alive and following you. I didn't even notice where or when the cat stopped following me, nor did I care.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I doubt it, because there is zero requirement to take Pet Pal and Zero requirement to keep the cat alive and following you. I didn't even notice where or when the cat stopped following me, nor did I care.

.....Evil evil man frown No kittens for you! ><

veteran
veteran
Exp should not represent if you are a good or evil person, but how much effort you put into doing something. At current state it is hardl given, easy fights often offer more exp than some of the hard ones, for example slaughtering Silent Monks.

Also I guess at current state, being good isn't rewarded enough, because being good is pretty always the harder way. But being good is also hard to repay. For some the challenge of being good is some kind of reward. Hard to say, on the other hand you could always offer the option of refusing a real reward. Perhaps some Karma-Mechanic would be necessary for appropiate treatment of both ways.

If I didn't take that juicy 20 EXP then the Magisters would and I can't let them win!

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Also having friendly NPCs be worth zero XP wouldn't stop me from killing them. I'd still kill them but extra slowly to teach them a lesson about wasting my time. >:)

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Cylion
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Grondoth
I'm surprised encounter XP isn't the same as kill XP. That absolutely should be the case, doing anything else discourages problem solving.

Yes that should be fixed to make them equal. And to prevent double-dipping, if you complete a potential-combat encounter by talking your around it, those NPC's should then be set to give zero experience if you kill them, to prevent "okay we'll go now" -> Player gets quest complete/charisma XP -> player force-attacks retreating people -> they go hostile -> player kills them -> player gets kill XP.

In fact in that situation, it should pop up 0 XP over their heads to make it clear that killing them does nothing helpful anymore.

Originally Posted by Kadajko
There is just another side to this issue. Say I want to roleplay an ''evil'' character, if a random woman asks me to find her child I will tell her to fck off, because looking for lost children is not something an evil character does, but the good guys will get the XP for that quest. Solution? Just murder the woman and get the XP. If you don't get XP for killing NPC's then you only reward the good characters instead.

If you choose to not take a quest, that is a choice, of course you should not get XP for it any more than you should get XP for quests which you never find at all.

Getting the same amount of XP for killing the woman on the spot as you would for following the quest and all the clues seems imbalanced as well because it's a lot less work to murder a weak NPC than it is to do the quest.

Wait, her child is not dead? She is not crazy? Fuck me.

hahaha Just had the same thought... wasnt able to finish this quest... never found the child...

veteran
veteran
In our quest log it was told, that the child was indeed dead and that there was nothing to do about it. But I didn't finish the quest, my friend did it while I was in Bracchus vault. ^^

S
stranger
stranger
S
"evil hobo barbarian"

Wow, lmao. What a mental image that conjured up.

apprentice
apprentice
I guess I don't understand the issue here because I did a good play through and was level 8 by the final fight of chapter one. I think the original poster is just missing things to do. I don't consider killing the silent monks to be evil but merciful by the way they are soulless husks just standing around might as well end them so they don't kill others though I do think since they are enemies by default that they should attack you on sight anyway.

apprentice
apprentice
Oh and killing magisters is not evil either they are the enemy and its like killing skin heads its good for everyone. smile

veteran
veteran
over the long run, killing the three card players hardly matters. Ki... Being mercyful to a silent monk probably gives about double of the xp.

But Silent Monks are mindless, they won't attack anyone without orders.

By the way killing magisters wasn't part of the evil 'plan', killing other inmates was the topic for evil doings.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard