Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#591974 05/10/16 11:07 PM
SlamPow Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
One thing I hope to see changed, is that when I last tried to steal from somebody, I stole 2 gold from some random dude (I think it was Laslor), and he caught me. So, I tried to tell him, I had witnesses. Not buying my 17 wits and +1 persuasion, eh? Well, okay, I'll just be off to ja-

He puts up his fists and starts kung-fu fighting me.

There are four of us. Two of us are in full scale mail. One of us just massacred a heavily armed guard and his trained attack dog (Kraus and Gracie) right in front of him without so much as an expenditure of effort. I got him down to 9 HP before he had so much as dented my armor, then tried to weather the storm until he inevitably conceded.

But he didn't.

It was a one-sided exchange of blows with a clear outcome, and even though I was willing to do my time instead of submitting to street justice, he turned to murder in the streets over two gold. Literally the value of two seashells I had picked up off of the ground. I had no option to parley. There was no choice for me to give back what I had stolen. Heck, I would have even thrown in a little extra as an apology. I couldn't even yield to him, as silly as it sounds. So, I killed him. And it made me feel bad.

In summary: NPCs will battle to the death over two gold, with no options to concede, negotiate or pay restitution. I would like for this to not be the case.

A
addict
addict
A
Yeah, that was one of the things people criticized last time, I believe. It's like these people have no self preservation instincts :P ...which might explain a lot actually

veteran
veteran
If you would go that way, pretty every not-undead would tend to run for their life at some point of the battle? laugh

SlamPow Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
That sounds great to me! Nonlethal run FTW! Spare Alexander so that he may know true suffering as he watches everything he's built crumble to dust! Make the thugs in Fort Joy lick your boots! Griff the gang lord? More like Griff-chan the clumsy maid! Tired of the Magisters? Make them respect the true power of Source, and then send them running back to their masters! Subjugate the Seeker encampment in the name of power and corruption! Ransom Orivand for gold and cheese! Make Saheilia's refugees your minions! Make Radeka submit! Tame the undead!

The possibilities are endless! =D

You don't end up in prison because you made smart decisions :P

SlamPow Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I never claimed to be a smart man.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kresky
You don't end up in prison because you made smart decisions :P

Fort Joy is not a prison for criminals. It is a concentration camp indended for the extermination of Sourcerers, regardless of their criminality.

But yes, the complete lack of any graduation in punishments or consequences between "not caught/get away with" and "I will mindlessly fight you to the death" is not great and I think that does hurt immersion.

There are a couple of complete ingrates in the prison who if you heal their ailments try to fight you to the death.

Dain the drunk only wants healing potions, but if you heal him he gets angry and says he'll fight the grim reaper. Then you kill him and the doctor, because she mindlessly attacks you as well just because he is suicidally dumb.

Mona the diseased woman just tells you to leave when you talk to her. There's no way to know in advance that if you cure her with bless, that pisses her off and she tries to kill you.

addict
addict
Stabbey, you misread. Dain does NOT want to be healed by potions. Use restoration on him.

And any time I've been caught stealing (not while pickpocketing yet) I was given the option for a pat down, not direct fighting.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
SlamPow Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
For Laslor, there was no way I was talking my way out of it, and the pat down is what led to direct combat. From "Hey, you've got two gold on you! I recognize these two specific gold pieces, out of the hundreds in your pockets, because they're MINE!" to "Help! Help! A thief!" to "Karate Kid 3: Dwarf's Night Out".

Even with knowing that info beforehand Stabbey - I stand by my statement.

Last edited by Kresky; 06/10/16 04:46 AM.
veteran
veteran
I healed Dain, he wasn't happy but did ot force me to fight either.

How dare you steal my apple?! PREPARE TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!

It's not about the apple -- it's the principle of the matter. *shank, shank, shank*

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by SlamPow
That sounds great to me! Nonlethal run FTW! Spare Alexander so that he may know true suffering as he watches everything he's built crumble to dust! Make the thugs in Fort Joy lick your boots! Griff the gang lord? More like Griff-chan the clumsy maid! Tired of the Magisters? Make them respect the true power of Source, and then send them running back to their masters! Subjugate the Seeker encampment in the name of power and corruption! Ransom Orivand for gold and cheese! Make Saheilia's refugees your minions! Make Radeka submit! Tame the undead!

The possibilities are endless! =D

This is exactly what I want

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard