Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Lightzy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
I backed the game because you promised a less loonytoons setting, writing and plot.

So far with morphing leaf armor, ridiculously over the top "female poses", the writing... I'm not sure I'm seeing it at all.
Please keep the promise.

I know you're Larian so it's not like, Planescape: Torment type writing, but at least not as loony toons as DOS1. Please.

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

I can dig it.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
Let me see your!... -

*Allow him to finish*

M
stranger
stranger
M
Personally, I would like to see the game be a little quirky and light-hearted. I wouldn't go so far as to say Looney Tunes, but after all this is Larian whose logo is an orc getting hit in the head with a dart. Also, even planescape torment had a talking skull that went around hitting on zombie chicks. I apologize if the phrase zombie chicks is offensive.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm mostly fine with the cartoonish vibe, although I think that it could be toned down a bit. What really quizzes me, however, is the elves' look. I mean, vegetal armors and weapons antics aside, they give me a very uncanney valley-ish vibe, in no small part thanks to their extremely tall, thin, lanky and slender profiles (slenderelves!) and all those...wrinkles? lining their forms. Sebille being stunningly beautiful? She looks like a prune that has been kept inside an essiccator for 3 months, at least to me.

Compare the elves of Original Sin 2 with the elves of dragon commander (it is the same setting, only in the future, yes?)

[Linked Image]hosting immagini

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
This again? Whats wrong with the character poses? Seriously? They are all awesome as far as I'm concerned.
Same with the elf armor. Generic LOtR style elves are so over done. I love seeing something different.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by GrumpyMcGrump
Compare the elves of Original Sin 2 with the elves of dragon commander (it is the same setting, only in the future, yes?)

The distant past: I forget exactly how long, but several thousand years.

J'aime le fromage.
N
N
Dragon Commander is something like, 10,000 years before Original Sin 2 I think? In any case, I think Larian didn't go quite far enough in making the elves different, and would hate it if they went back to the Dragon Commander look. It's so remarkably boring and uninspired, easily interchangeable with the elves of any other random generic fantasy property.

old hand
old hand
If you don't think the writing is less "loonytoons" than D:OS 1 I question whether you've played it or even read some of the writing in an LP.

apprentice
apprentice
I never really got the impression that D:OS was "looney toonish," honestly. I thought it had a healthy portion of comedy in it but most of that was in the dialogue and the ridiculously stupid things some people would say or do (which struck me more as satire about the stupidity and gullibility of people in general).

Overall the game seemed to have a good story and plot that didn't take itself too seriously.

D:OS2 has a much more "dark" tone it so far from what I can see, there's much less light-heartedness to the dialogue and goings-on but there's still a sprinkle of humor because dark, morbid and depressing without the occasional comic relief gets cumbersome.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nivv
Dragon Commander is something like, 10,000 years before Original Sin 2 I think? In any case, I think Larian didn't go quite far enough in making the elves different, and would hate it if they went back to the Dragon Commander look. It's so remarkably boring and uninspired, easily interchangeable with the elves of any other random generic fantasy property.

Wait.. before? Where did all the high tech go? Was there some kind of technological apocalypse?

Support
Support

It was destroyed at the end of the game (given the plot, and the demonic origins of the technology).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

It was destroyed at the end of the game (given the plot, and the demonic origins of the technology).

Ok, I'm going a bit off-topic now but. There was tech that Maxos got from the demon, but wasn't there tech that everyone used? Where did the enemies get some of the same tech?

Support
Support

Regardless of the source, pretty much all advanced technology was wiped out either at the end of Dragon Commander or during the intervening 10,000 years.
There was some technology reinvented by the time of the other games (zeppelins in Divinity 2, machinery used in conjunction with magic in Divine Divinity and Divinity 2).

i thought the elves in Dragon Commander looked different than Divinity Original Sin 2 elves, because they are not the same kind of elves. I just assumed the elves we play in DOS 2 were wood elves,

veteran
veteran
There are no Elves in DOS 2. There are, however Dryads which are calling themselves Elves for some reason.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Stabbey
There are no Elves in DOS 2. There are, however Dryads which are calling themselves Elves for some reason.

So Sebille and all the other slenderelves inside the cave aren't really elves but dryads? think

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Dunno, but they do seem to be halfway between the elves in DD and whatever it is we saw in ED.

J'aime le fromage.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I assume the elves just invented genetic engineering and decided that they will go for a wooden look.

veteran
veteran
Geez, this fictional "female poses" outcry again.

Look, there are parts of the overall art direction that could certainly be improved, ok?
I'm not too much into some weird animations, poses or armors myself and I'm not a fan of the overall look they choose for the elves.

But let's stop pretending this game has any issue specifically focused on one gender.
Way to poison any discussion we could have about it.

Also, nothing of this tells anything about how "loonytoony" is the setting. Not to mention I strongly disagree with the notion that the game should take a turn for the "more serious" road, especially since the light-hearted parts were the best ones in the previous game and the writing tended to be more dull precisely when they tried to inject seriousness and drama in it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard