Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This thread is little tricks and features discovered while playing that weren't apparent at first. Please feel free to contribute your own. Please note, this thread is not for strategies and exploits.

- When you're picking up stuff, you know how it seems to take a little too long before you can take another action? Well, if you right-click (doesn't matter what you right-click on, just hit that right mouse button) it cancels the animation. The thing you were picking up is still picked up, you just don't have to wait for the animation to complete before you do something else. This makes picking up a bunch of stuff off the ground much faster. This also works for some other stuff, like casting spells out-of-combat.

- When clicking on item models (the graphics, not the tooltips for them) to pick them up, if you double-click to pick it up, it skips most of the pickup animation. This lets you pick up things faster. If you're using the tooltips to pick stuff up, though, you still need to use the right-click trick.

- Right-click cancels movement commands, too. So if you accidentally send someone to the wrong spot, just right-click. It won't undo the distance they've gone, but it's better than letting them go on.

- Right-click on containers (crates and such) or candles in order to pick them up without having to drag them into your bag (it gives you a menu with the Pick Up option). You can sell those things for 1 gold each. Keep in mind that some containers (chests) are very heavy.

- If you drag a Bed Roll from your inventory to your hotbar, you can use it to instantly heal your party when out of combat. It also gives you a 3-turn stat buff, which helps sometimes. The bed roll is infinitely reusable. (You can also use it by right-clicking on it, as of the last patch.)

- If you hold down the button for Show Sneak Cones while not sneaking, you can still see NPC visibility areas. This can help you avoid conflict sometimes. Do note, though, that both friendly and enemy vision fields show up and look exactly the same. (They really ought to rename the keybind to "Show NPC Vision", as that would be more accurate.)

- You already know that, as an elf, you can eat body parts. But did you know that you can actually learn new abilities by doing so? This can give you access to abilities you don't have the skill for, but can now use anyway. I'm posting this in case others think it's just a story ability, as I initially did. Elves also heal from body eating parts, and don't get diseased from it as other races would.

- You can right-click on equipment directly to repair it without having to take it off first.

- Every time you level up (and apparently hourly, as SlamPow noted), NPCs update their inventories a bit. Check back with the more vendory ones to see what new stuff they have for sale.

- If you right-click an enemy, there's an Examine option. In the Examine window, you can mouse-over the buffs and debuffs on them to find out what they do. There's also additional information you can scroll down to see if you have points in Loremaster.

- Persuasion and Bartering on the same character helps lower prices even further than just Bartering. [noted by Kalrakh]

- Hold right shift when issuing movement commands to set multiple waypoints. (Essentially draw your path.) [noted by NinjaSteave]

- Hold Ctrl to make your left click into an attack, no matter what you're targeting. You can even attack the ground. When attacking the ground with a ranged attack, the first enemy in the path will get hit even if you can't target them directly due to smoke. You can also use this to break open some doors and chests. [noted by error3]

- While it costs AP to equip weapons/shields, it does not cost any AP to unequip them. (noted by error3)

- The amount of AP it costs to attack is equal to the number of hands holding equipment. So, if using a 2-handed weapon, dual wielding, or using a 1-hander and shield, attacks costs 2 AP. If only using one 1-hander with nothing in the other hand, attacks cost 1 AP. If you unequip one hand, leaving a weapon in the other, you will reduce the cost of attacks to 1 AP. [noted by error3]

- +Skill boosts from gear allow a player to learn the related skills even without an investment in them. [noted by error3]

- The items an NPC initially has for trade are not lootable from them when they die, however any items you trade to them will be lootable upon their death. [noted by error3] In my experience, they will not drop the gold you trade them, just items.

- Similar to the bed roll, the shovel can be used from your hot bar. You can use it to dig manually in locations where you know something is hidden, even when you don't technically have enough Wits to see it. [noted by Spectre_777]

- Activating the spell Teleportation (without choosing a target) highlights all interactable corpses within sight, even those you didn't cause. After you've seen the corpses, you can just right-click to cancel the spell.

- If you enter a conversation with an NPC, you can then switch to another character in your party (without exiting the conversation), sneak around behind that NPC, and rob them blind.

I'll update this with more things as I think of them.

Last edited by Darxim; 08/12/16 07:22 PM. Reason: addition of conversation exploit
enthusiast
enthusiast
Also of note, NPCs will update their inventories hourly as well.

veteran
veteran
Persuasion and Barting on the same guy helps lowering prices even further, than just Bartering.

journeyman
journeyman
Hold right shift when issuing movement commands to set multiple waypoints. (Essentially draw your path.)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by NinjaSteave
Hold right shift when issuing movement commands to set multiple waypoints. (Essentially draw your path.)

This is really useful, especially if you don't want to spend ages tip-toeing past traps. I wish it was left-shift though, like DOS1. Speaking as someone who has just realised she didn't bother to check whether or not it's configurable.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
It is configurable under the options->controls
labeled as "Queue commands"
Left shift is bound to the show NPC sight cones by default.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm updating my list with any new items people post (with credit given, of course).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Holding Ctrl will make your left-click fire your weapon at anything.
Aiming a ranged weapon this way will allow you to shoot the ground.
This can be used to either set off environments on the ground (e.g. Fire want to Oil), or to attack enemies that you can't "see", so long as the projectile passes through them on the way to its destination. (Workaround for "Target is Hidden" message)
This can also be used to break open chests and doors without any lockpicking skill, provided they take damage.

There is 0 cost to unequip an item in combat.
Unequipping an item that reduces your movement will allow you to move farther, and the armor lost from unequipping only affects your max armor, not your current. (current still cannot be higher than max)
Doing this with an offhand shield/weapon will allow you to perform regular attacks for 1 AP instead of 2, if you really need to do it cheaper on-the-fly.

+Skill boosts from gear will allow a player to learn the related skills even without an investment in them. (I think this is just a feature, not an exploit, but exploiting it can save a party several poorly placed points.)

Shopkeepers do not drop their entire supply when killed, but if you trade them for all of their supply and then kill them they will drop all of the items you swapped them.

Last edited by error3; 14/10/16 08:51 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Similar to the bed roll, the shovel can be added to your hot bar. You can use it to dig manually in locations where you know something is hidden, even when you don't technically have enough wits to see it.

This is useful for digging up items like Buddy's Key or the unique pirate treasure rings. Obvious caveat, you have to already know where the treasure is located.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Spectre_777
Similar to the bed roll, the shovel can be added to your hot bar. You can use it to dig manually in locations where you know something is hidden, even when you don't technically have enough wits to see it.

This is useful for digging up items like Buddy's Key or the unique pirate treasure rings. Obvious caveat, you have to already know where the treasure is located.

This is neat!

I wonder if there are any buried items that can only be found with this method and do not show up with any amount of Wits.

I almost feel like the elf ability to eat corpses and gain new abilities from doing so, is almost an unfair advantage over all the other races, considering skillbooks aren't that cheap. They also heal from eating the body parts, and there is an abundance of body parts, while the other races need to buy healing spells or potions. The elf can get all that, and benefit from cannibalism.

Last edited by cool-dude01; 16/10/16 05:38 AM.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I think the two skillbooks replaced by eating body parts are 50g each. The other ability you get is Levitate, which, while it seems cool, I haven't been able to justify using a memory slot for it. Honestly, I haven't found much need for Fortify or Magic Shell, so those usually get cut, as well (mostly because they're just really weak, especially if you don't have the skills that buff them). Truly, I feel like Cannibalism is one of the weakest racial traits. Of course, that's counterbalanced by Flesh Sacrifice, which is easily the strongest racial trait.

veteran
veteran
Over 100 armor/magic armor isn't that bad, like all skills they get more effectiv with higher level. And levitate is nice to ignore every kind of ground effects like ice and fire, at least till you get bless I guess. You can also get Burn my eyes from eating. Main problem is, only elf can really profit from it, so more than one hardly is usefull regarding this trait.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Unskilled, you're only getting over 100 at level 7+. I do know what Levitate is for, but many other abilities are just better. I guess it'd be good for a warrior, though. They don't need many skills, and they're all elves because of Flesh Sacrifice.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I can't edit the initial post anymore (there seems to be a statute of limitations on this forum for edits), so I'll just note it here.

When clicking on item models (the graphics, not the tooltips for them) to pick them up, if you double-click to pick it up, it skips most of the pickup animation. This lets you pick up things faster. If you're using the tooltips to pick stuff up, though, you still need to use the right-click trick.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
It's possibly got too big or has too much formatting, obviously for fairly modest values of "too big" and "too much": the forum is known to be a bit glitchy when it comes to re-editing longish posts, sadly. It's partly the auto-censor's doing, which Raze can work around if needed (though I can't) so I think future updates can be cut-and-pasted into the OP by him.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

By default there is a 3 day edit time limit on posts.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Raze

By default there is a 3 day edit time limit on posts.

Well that's me told. biggrin

I think most if not all my edits were to correct the obvious typo that I'd spot 1.3 seconds after submission.

J'aime le fromage.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm probably the only person who is impacted by this who edits for legitimate reasons. Few people make long, updateable lists.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hassat Hunter also does, amongst a few others. It's a legitimate concern.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SlamPow
Hassat Hunter also does, amongst a few others. It's a legitimate concern.

It's apparently a legitimate concern that's being addressed. Have I mentioned that Raze is pretty awesome? Raze is pretty awesome.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's great to hear! grin

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Darxim
It's apparently a legitimate concern that's being addressed. Have I mentioned that Raze is pretty awesome? Raze is pretty awesome.

Raze knows it all!

journeyman
journeyman
As a lizzard you do not need a shovel to dig stuff up smile

And the
Originally Posted by NinjaSteave

is bugged.. If you pick up multple stuff you end up using it.

Nice collection, would be nice to keep it up to date smile

Another thing ... Darxim, in the first post you have:
- +Skill boosts from gear allow a player to learn the related skills even without an investment in them. (Courtesy of error3)
this only lasts as long as you have the item (dunno if ppl would think you keep the skill after putting the item away smile )

If anything else comes to mind I'll post here, thanks!

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lynoa
- +Skill boosts from gear allow a player to learn the related skills even without an investment in them. (Courtesy of error3)
this only lasts as long as you have the item (dunno if ppl would think you keep the skill after putting the item away smile )

From what I've heard, you do keep the ability after unequipping the gear. This may have changed in the last patch. I wasn't able to test it in my last playthrough, but I'll test it out in my next one (need to test some other stuff, anyway).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lynoa

From what I've heard, you do keep the ability after unequipping the gear. This may have changed in the last patch. I wasn't able to test it in my last playthrough, but I'll test it out in my next one (need to test some other stuff, anyway).

There's a miscommunication here.

Lynoa is saying that an ability granted by an item cannot be used when said item is unequipped. For example, the Sundering Cleaver grants the user access to Overpower, but only while it is equipped.

What I am saying is that abilities require skill points to learn, but not to cast, and that temporary bonuses from gear can be leveraged to meet the learning requirement.
For example, if I equip Sundering Cleaver and gain +1 Warfare from it, I can then learn any Warfare ability, unequip the item, and still be able to cast those abilities, even if my Warfare is at 0 afterwards. I would then lose access to Overpower, unless I also knew it from a skill book.

Last edited by error3; 01/11/16 06:14 PM.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah, I just tested it, and you do still retain the ability you learned after unequipping the gear. I wouldn't call it a miscommunication, since I feel "+Skill boosts from gear allow a player to learn the related skills" was pretty clear. Lynoa must've just misunderstood.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Added a new item:

Activating the spell Teleportation (without choosing a target) highlights all corpses within sight, even those you didn't cause. After you've seen the corpses, you can just right-click to cancel the spell.

I also updated a few items (such as bed rolls, which you can now use via right-click) and moved one for better flow.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Skimmed through this, and didn't see anything on 4 player character creation tip! So in case that was missed here, you can actually create 4 custom heroes to start single player with! Here is a video on how to do that.. link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyDZlMZfpQs

JpBruiser
J
stranger
stranger
J
You cam steal skill books, other items from NPCs (i tried it in the main prison camp) by getting them in a conversation with one of your characters then clck on another character with sneaking, go behind the npc, activate sneaking and proceed to loot. rpg006

You have to watch out for patrolling npcs. Also if you stay in the stealing dialogue for a long time, the npc will catch you doing it, and end up in a fight. horsey

Last edited by vometia; 24/11/16 07:21 AM. Reason: formatting
J
stranger
stranger
J
Also, you can pick up Chests of all kinds and Paintings that you see on walls. The paintings sell for a pretty penny, around 100. Empty Chests can also be sold for something like 35-40. It good for making some starter cash

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Although I'm a habitual looter of paintings and most other random detritus, I'd never noticed that the chests actually have monetary value. I'll have to remember that one.

J'aime le fromage.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I never found a chest worth more than 1 gold when empty. I've already covered picking those up.

Picking up paintings... This thread is for things people might not figure out on their own. If someone can't figure out that they can pick up and sell paintings, they might try a simpler game instead, like Chutes and Ladders.

The conversation exploit I consider to be an exploit and chose not to include it. It's something I feel should be fixed.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
The conversation exploit I consider to be an exploit and chose not to include it. It's something I feel should be fixed.

I must admit I'm ambivalent about that one. I'm not a big user of the technique (indeed I'm not sure if I've used it at all in DOS2), but wouldn't necessarily want to see it gone either. Definitely one to exercise some restraint with, though.

J'aime le fromage.
J
stranger
stranger
J

Well the thing its like a distraction while another member goes about the looting, not necessarily from the NPC. And in my testing of this, the NPC has broken off the conversation and caught the thief as well. So it might be an element build into the game

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Junooni
Well the thing its like a distraction while another member goes about the looting, not necessarily from the NPC. And in my testing of this, the NPC has broken off the conversation and caught the thief as well. So it might be an element build into the game

Ah, I'm only familiar with it from the first game where you'd initiate conversation and the NPC would become completely oblivious to absolutely everything else, so you could take everything in the vicinity and they wouldn't notice.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Ah, I'm only familiar with it from the first game where you'd initiate conversation and the NPC would become completely oblivious to absolutely everything else, so you could take everything in the vicinity and they wouldn't notice.

I'd worked on the assumption that it could just be used to direct their sight cone away from where your more light-fingered character wanted to be, though I didn't use it often enough to familiarise myself with its intricacies.

J'aime le fromage.
J
stranger
stranger
J
it looks more like an awareness area now instead of a sight cone, it even extends behind the character. So even if the NPC is looking away, they can detect you in the background.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
it looks more like an awareness area now instead of a sight cone, it even extends behind the character. So even if the NPC is looking away, they can detect you in the background.

That's annoying, but I guess it makes sense since they have ears too!

J'aime le fromage.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah. It's only a cone if you're sneaking. When you're not sneaking, it's the whole area, even though the control is called "Show Sneak Cones". They could probably rename it to "Show NPC Awareness Area" or something. I find it quite useful when not sneaking.

Side note: I changed the color of the bolded text on the OP. Let me know if that makes it stand out too much. It's supposed to stand out, but I don't know if it's making it harder to read now. I felt like just bolding text wasn't noticeable enough.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Side note: I changed the color of the bolded text on the OP. Let me know if that makes it stand out too much. It's supposed to stand out, but I don't know if it's making it harder to read now. I felt like just bolding text wasn't noticeable enough.

I was expecting something actually garish. biggrin It works well and is quite subtle, and if anything makes it a little easier to read. I guess probably because it serves its purpose which is to stand out, but just a little.

That's with both the "Larian" and "Divinity2" schemes: I still use the latter in spite of it looking a bit dated; as much as I'd like to claim "because I don't like change", actually I just find it slightly easier on the eyes. Hmm, I seem to have built an extension on your tangent.

J'aime le fromage.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Crossed out a couple of items based on today's patch notes. I'll remove them after someone tests them for verification.

veteran
veteran
version 3.0.15 (not sure if this was before)
- When you use a weapon and the level of the weapon is higher than your own level, you get a penalty to accurancy.
- Crossbows now use 3AP while bows use 2 AP. I found a crossbow and was happy about the bigger numbers, but in combat I found out that I can only attack once per turn. (of course, at that point I had already sold my bow).
- I think the 3AP are also true for some skills (like the one where you hit several targets, ricochet?) but not for special arrows. I think crossbows used 2AP too before the last patch.
Could somebody please confirm this, I am not 100% sure.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
Yes, crossbows and skills with them use 3 AP now. I kind of like it, though it does make them feel really slow and kind of annoying to use. But if you craft a lot of elemental arrows (which do use 2 AP), they can be pretty strong. Also probably good to learn a bunch of 1 AP spells to take advantage of that extra AP you'll have every turn if you basic attack.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
You cam steal skill books, other items from NPCs (i tried it in the main prison camp) by getting them in a conversation with one of your characters then clck on another character with sneaking, go behind the npc, activate sneaking and proceed to loot. rpg006

After some consideration, I added this to the list, after all. I decided that whether or not I considered it to be an exploit was irrelevant, as, either way, it's still something you can do in the game, and as long as Larian decides to leave it in, it's up to the player as to whether or not they want to use it. Larian did decide that being able to learn abilities of types you haven't spent any skillpoints on was an exploit, and thus removed it, and I had that listed. Also, it's probably better if I don't act elitist about... anything, really. Nobody wants to agree with an elitist.

Since they still psychically know that they've been robbed it doesn't really seem to much like an exploit, only thing you are removing is the chance they'll turn around and catch you. Most players I'm sure are going to have a hell of a time dealing with this when the game releases because they'll be under the impression they can loot like crazy and all they have to do is make sure the npc doesn't see them.

This of course may get changed completely before release as we've seen a ton of people constantly complaining about psychic npcs and guards. Larian seems to listen to us quite a lot, even if they don't make it known, so I think we'll definitely see some stealing changes before release.

Right now stealing is in the weirdest spot I think it could possibly be in as it is difficult to reach a point where a character can steal enough to justify using your one and only chance to steal from that npc along with stealing being the primary and nearly only way to make enough gold to outfit your party currently.

And another thing I didn't see listed on the list, if you want to add it, is that you can park a character far away from guards and when you steal just throw the stuff in their inventory and let the npc check your other characters. Stops them from searching and you don't get into any trouble.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian did decide that being able to learn abilities of types you haven't spent any skillpoints on was an exploit, and thus removed it, and I had that listed.

This was a good call on their part I think. It wasn't intuitive, removed much of the impact of point distribution, and forced a lot of my playthroughs to have seemingly odd builds until certain +1 skill boost items were found.

However, it's still possible to learn a large number of skills with no investment via Corpse Eating.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by error3
However, it's still possible to learn a large number of skills with no investment via Corpse Eating.

Consider it a benefit of the perk. The only alternative to leaving that feature of Corpse Eater in that I can think of would be a message saying "you can't eat this without a point into X school" and you keep the part for later.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Nah, you can only learn 3 cheap skills. First-aid from the elf woman, levitate from the dead Magister by the witch and burn your eyes from the head on a stick.

It might be worth it (depending on your build) but the racial skill is a better reason to choose elf than 150 gold worth of skills - especially as levitate is not required for anything and a waste of a memory slot. I think so anyway - until Lizard can do the shed-skin you keep going on about I'm sticking with elf ...

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by lx07
Nah, you can only learn 3 cheap skills.

You can learn fortify and armor of frost too. I guess later in the game you'll be able to learn more powerful spell this way too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard