Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
load times. I'm talking about in the two minutes range to get me from the character creation screen to Fort Joy beach.

What's weird is that it's almost completely fine on the main menu screen. Anything else though... Texture and/or model flickering.

I sometimes even get this when I turn the camera:

[Linked Image]

Here's my specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5 4200M @ 2.5 GHz (4 CPUs)
GFX Card - Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM - 4 GB
OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Not the most optimal setup at all, I know. But I can indeed run the game at a smooth 30 FPS on low settings.

Last edited by vometia; 13/10/16 08:53 PM. Reason: formatting
enthusiast
enthusiast
Umm... I think your graphics card is the problem. According to this page here, your graphics card is one of the slowest still available on the market. I don't have any idea how you managed to get that quality of processor paired without so much as a dedicated graphics card. I hope for your sake you don't have a Dell, because you're going to need to upgrade in a major way.

Support
Support

Two minutes doesn't seem very long, considering.

Someone else running the game on integrated graphics reported graphics issues (Flickering Graphics problem). I'll check if integrated graphics will be supported.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by SlamPow
Umm... I think your graphics card is the problem. According to this page here, your graphics card is one of the slowest still available on the market. I don't have any idea how you managed to get that quality of processor paired without so much as a dedicated graphics card. I hope for your sake you don't have a Dell, because you're going to need to upgrade in a major way.

It's an HP Probook 450 G1. It's part of HP's business line of laptops. I got it a while ago but it's still going strong. Rugged as hell too. If you ever get an HP, always go for their business line. Their normal laptops suck ***.

Nevertheless, yes, I understand the graphics are almost bottom of the barrel at this point in time. However, this isn't actually about performance at all so much as much a bad glitched out picture. (Again, I get a solid 30 FPS at the menu and throughout the game. Maybe a little more.) This game is the only game I have so far that has this problem at all. Everything else has run just fine, including the first D:OS.

And hey, you wanna give me the $700+ for a new laptop/desktop, that would be awesome, but in the meantime, I gotta stick with what I got. Just be happy you're not a peasant like me in the PC Master Race.

Last edited by Artificial; 14/10/16 05:20 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Graphical glitches like this one are characteristic of underperforming graphics cards. When my drivers glitched out recently, my BIOS freaked out and defaulted to my integrated card. I had similar issues in just a few games. Also, as far as performance goes, you should be getting more than 30 FPS with that processor. I have and i5 quad core, and it gives me a solid 70 when it starts to chug. This also points to a lack of processing power in your graphics card. Since you have an HP, you're in luck. You should be able to change out the graphics card for $150(? not too familiar with mobile cards) or so, instead of replacing the whole computer. If you absolutely cannot afford a graphics card upgrade, you may investigate a upsampling tool such as GeDoSaTo. It's advertised as a downsampling tool, but it works the other way too, and is specifically compatible with Divinity: Original Sin. If you need more help past that, let me know, and I'll do some experimenting to see if I can get DOS2 running in DX8.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by SlamPow
Graphical glitches like this one are characteristic of underperforming graphics cards. When my drivers glitched out recently, my BIOS freaked out and defaulted to my integrated card. I had similar issues in just a few games. Also, as far as performance goes, you should be getting more than 30 FPS with that processor. I have and i5 quad core, and it gives me a solid 70 when it starts to chug. This also points to a lack of processing power in your graphics card. Since you have an HP, you're in luck. You should be able to change out the graphics card for $150(? not too familiar with mobile cards) or so, instead of replacing the whole computer. If you absolutely cannot afford a graphics card upgrade, you may investigate a upsampling tool such as GeDoSaTo. It's advertised as a downsampling tool, but it works the other way too, and is specifically compatible with Divinity: Original Sin. If you need more help past that, let me know, and I'll do some experimenting to see if I can get DOS2 running in DX8.

I think it's much more along the lines of this game being in alpha status and thus, the engine doesn't have full support for an obscure graphics card like mine. Just to prove as well that it's not really my card that's freaking out, I've run UT4 plenty of times as well without any of these problems occurring whatsoever. That game is in pre-alpha. Kinda bad performance, sure. Glitched out picture? No. Never. Again, never in ANY of the games I've played on this PC (which are quite substantial now) have I experienced this problem.

And even further, if it really was solely my gfx card that's causing problems, why the hell does it work just fine on the main menu and then freak out during actual gameplay?

Now, I'm pretty sure this laptop isn't going to allow a separate dedicated gfx card, HP or no. Such things are restricted to the very high-end laptops which this one is not. So it's either cough up $700+ or too bad for you, son.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/laptop/how-add-graphics-card-your-laptop-3364133/
"In most cases, it isn't possible to upgrade a laptop's graphics card. If you want better gaming performance, the only sensible option is to buy a new laptop."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2923779/how-to-upgrade-graphics-in-a-laptop.html
"Before you get too excited thinking you can get another a few years out of your four-pound, thin-and-light gaming laptop just by swapping out the GPU, you probably can’t."

As to upsampling, thank you for mentioning it but I highly HIGHLY doubt that's gonna fix the graphical glitches.

Last edited by Artificial; 14/10/16 08:27 AM.
Support
Support

Currently integrated graphics are not supported. I don't know if that will be added further into development.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze

Currently integrated graphics are not supported. I don't know if that will be added further into development.

OK. Thanks! Will keep an eye on the next update.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Will a demo be availlable to test the game.

So far officially the game is not supposed to run on my laptop, but according to different user, it might run quite well on medium setting.

My laptop is an i7 with a 750m GPU.

It would be a good idea to test the game before buying.

Support
Support

No there is no demo. Steam does have a refund policy, though.
Do you know anyone locally who has the game, or might be interested in getting it, who could try it on your laptop?

Did the other user say they were using a similar video card? The Passmark benchmark for your video card is 2/3 of the listed minimum, but at a reasonable resolution I wouldn't be surprised if it gave acceptable performance. I have not seen any feedback on below-spec results for D:OS 2 yet, though.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I avoid Steam, I prefer GOG, but still I will wait for the final product/optimization.

The EE edition run fine on my laptop, hopefully someone will test it on his laptop and will tell me how it works.

I saw someone, if I remember right, used a 680m, acceptable fps at medium.

The more the game is released the more config will be tested.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I've been playing on MacBoook Pro with I5-320M which has Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.

It works fine (on lowest settings) and 1200x800 resolution - it can't cope higher resolution than that.

It is smoother and not as hot as DOS EE certainly.

I do find after a few hours the game grinds to a halt but quitting and restarting fixes that and it runs smoothly again. That is a separate issue though probably.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
sounds like it has a slight memory leak.

that jives with what I am seeing on task manager... the longer it runs, the more memory it eats up, even if you are just standing in one spot, doing nothing, and have alt-tabbed out of the game.

you can watch the memory slowly increase in usage by about 4kbytes/sec or two. it's possible this is precaching data for when you do finally move, as i see very little stuttering in game as you run around, which is good. OTOH...as you note, the game does seem to perform better with a restart every once in a while.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard