Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#593582 17/10/16 05:38 PM
Kresky Offline OP
OP Offline
Is an ambush still an ambush if your entire team goes first?

With Leadership, Wits, and gear that provides Initiative/Wits you can be "surprised" but still go first. Do you think ambushes that take place in the game should disregard the weight of initiative?

Last edited by Kresky; 17/10/16 05:40 PM.
Kresky #593583 17/10/16 05:44 PM
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Here is my take on this: I should like to see something like this scenario: If the enemy is ambushing you: roll one perspective dice kinda thing. So let's say one of your party member passes the dice check, make him go first. If two of your members passes the check, let them go by order of initiative, then the enemy and then the rest of your party.

Kresky #593588 17/10/16 06:14 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Kresky
Is an ambush still an ambush if your entire team goes first?

With Leadership, Wits, and gear that provides Initiative/Wits you can be "surprised" but still go first. Do you think ambushes that take place in the game should disregard the weight of initiative?

Yes to the first question. No to the second.

Unless they are sneaking up and opening with a volley of shots from stealth (a great idea for future encounters larian) then the current initiative order is fine.
The ambush is more from the enemies having ideal positioning and a properly set up battlefield rather then going first. After all, your characters could be hyper alert, hear the snap of a branch, all have their weapons out and ready to move to defend (i.e. go first) while the enemies are still drawing their bowstrings on the cliffs.

Kresky #593705 18/10/16 04:18 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Generally a "surprise" round tends to be a decent compromise, which is a round in which the "ambushing" characters get half of a turn to act first and then initiative order comes into play.

So, if a character got 4AP every turn normally, then they'd have 2AP in the "surprise round," etc. After all the "ambushing" characters have taken their "surprise round" then the battle begins with initiative order. (Which means if the ambushing characters have higher initiative, they would act again before your party does).

Avilyss #593743 18/10/16 11:09 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Avilyss
Generally a "surprise" round tends to be a decent compromise, which is a round in which the "ambushing" characters get half of a turn to act first and then initiative order comes into play.

So, if a character got 4AP every turn normally, then they'd have 2AP in the "surprise round," etc. After all the "ambushing" characters have taken their "surprise round" then the battle begins with initiative order. (Which means if the ambushing characters have higher initiative, they would act again before your party does).

This could be cool - but with amount of disappointment from some players at the current ambush difficulty I'd say unnecessary. Still, if they wanted to add it in the higher difficulty modes it could be fun. Do I get the same benefit for opening from stealth?

Kresky #593747 19/10/16 12:45 AM
apprentice
apprentice
I would say so, yes. Opening from stealth is basically the same thing as ambushing someone.

Kresky #593752 19/10/16 03:07 AM
veteran
veteran
I think, the main problems with ambushs at current state is, that you can ambush the ambushers with sneaking.

You can bait the ambushers with your prepared tank and then ambush them with the main force. To counter that, I guess there would need to be sneak free zones. Or more 'invisible' guards like in the boss fight with Alexander, it's hard to dodge someone, you can't see.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard