Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
In case you didn't know, earlier this morning, at approx. 2am MST, there were widespread dns outages affecting a large portion of the U.S. (coast to coast). This lasted approx. 3 hours and was not limited to ISP's.

Additionally, google's own public DNS servers were affected. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Does anyone have ANY information as to what caused this?

Why aren't more people talking about this? Seems like a big deal to me.

If you want to verify this for yourselves, go here: http://downdetector.com/status/ and plug in just about any large named business/site and you can see the graph spikes at 2am MST.

Some of the services/sites/orgs affected: youtube, google, level3, comcast, twitch, amazon, battle net, netflix, yahoo, xbox live, uplay, steam, itunes, CNN, reddit

Last edited by Fyrestorme; 11/10/16 03:40 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Sorry, I had a bit of a sneezing fit. D:

Seriously though, I admit I didn't notice, but maybe the cdns were actually doing something useful for once instead of the usual "internet prevention service" they provide! Nothing so far on The Register about it, which is where I usually go for my tech news.

J'aime le fromage.
OP Offline
That's the wierd thing. Nobody's talking about it and it is one of the biggest U.S. internet outages in a long time

enthusiast
enthusiast

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
DoS attacks by bored kiddies? I guess that's the usual cause, though I did read something about someone making a mess of some security certificates that also caused fairly widespread chaos when the authentication system fell over in a different manner to what they planned. Because when things break down, they should do so in a disciplined and orderly manner.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard