Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
If they do anything at all here, which imo is not really necessary, I hope that they go the direction of S&B, 1h+empty hand, DW, and 2h with Scoundrel being left as is.

It's probably a little late in the development cycle to be making such huge, sweeping changes and I'd rather not see a hack job so I hope they don't go this route unless they are confident they have time to do it justice. The last thing I want to see is the exact same skills (nothing new) simply split into several diluted trees...

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Even with only one str based tree it was the 2nd most popular stat choice. People clearly want to play str based characters, Larian! They need them OPTIONS.

Originally Posted by Grondoth
Even with only one str based tree it was the 2nd most popular stat choice. People clearly want to play str based characters, Larian! They need them OPTIONS.

Is that stat actually from somewhere or are we just making assumptions here?

Assuming it's true, there's a very strong possibility that it is only because there has been so much discussion about how powerful 2h melee is. A lot of factors to consider other than just raw numbers.

G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
So many points spent into defensive skills? Are people insane or it this just because every one put only 1 point in all of those 3 skills?

G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
It's because most people aren't min-maxers who know how these games are played. People like to be tougher and have defenses. "More HP" and "more armour" are stats most people think are just good ideas.

I mean hell, look at how much people are putting into wits. Optimized builds aren't how most people play games.

Last edited by Grondoth; 20/10/16 02:40 AM.
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
So many points spent into defensive skills? Are people insane or it this just because every one put only 1 point in all of those 3 skills?

Pretty sure everyone just put 1 point into each.

That chart is pretty interesting too. Based on the data it appears that there are far less physical characters than I anticipated.

Support
Support

That data was from the Sunday after Early Access started, so there wasn't a lot of build discussion and advice around.

journeyman
journeyman
Not surprised, honestly. With all the magical variety and combo effects compared to melee and finesse's very limited bag of tricks, there's pretty much no incentive (other than the infuriating stat scaling atm) to go str or dex only. At best you'll have a man at arms with a few spells.

Which is a shame. I love spellswords but it's sorta lame that that's pretty much the only way to play other than a pure mage since 80% of all skills are magic...

Not sure how it is now but prior to the patch 2h melee was considered overpowered by most.

S
S
Also, only 10% of people are giving their information after playing. So all the forum goers should atleast ensure they are sending data.

Last edited by Surrealialis; 20/10/16 02:24 PM.
I'm assuming that is the post game closing thing. If not, how do I activate it?

Support
Support

Yes, it is the post game popup window.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I agree with most things said there.

There is a whole world to explore and create skills with by exploring counterattacks, moving opponents through the battlefield, giving orders to an ally so that he moves at the turn of the commander (or even attack for master skills).

I dreamt of a skill you cast at your turn that lets you rush to the next enemy that casts a spell to you and attack him for example.

Or a front-line skill that makes that when enemies go through the controlled zone of your warriors, he gets multiple attacks of opportunity, or they get knocked-down, stunned, or they can't go through unless they succeed a check of sth... so many interesting options.

I'm a pen-and-paper roleplayer, have some ideas :|

G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Electoral College the vote. We don't need a tree that seemed to be "you can do anything the other trees can do sorta but you manipulate your body" and we certainly don't need a tree for summoning. We got something called Necromancy that currently just has the defining abilities of "be creepy," make that the heavy summon tree. Put in more physical options. Hell, redo the vote with those options out of it!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kelakhai
I agree with most things said there.

There is a whole world to explore and create skills with by exploring counterattacks, moving opponents through the battlefield, giving orders to an ally so that he moves at the turn of the commander (or even attack for master skills).

I dreamt of a skill you cast at your turn that lets you rush to the next enemy that casts a spell to you and attack him for example.

Or a front-line skill that makes that when enemies go through the controlled zone of your warriors, he gets multiple attacks of opportunity, or they get knocked-down, stunned, or they can't go through unless they succeed a check of sth... so many interesting options.

I'm a pen-and-paper roleplayer, have some ideas :|

Some really cool ideas. I especially like the idea of "commander" skills, where you inspire an ally to make an extra attack or something like that. I think the best we can hope for now is the warfare tree to just have a LOT of skills to compare with all the magic trees. Shield and defensive skills, berserker skills (what we mostly have now), skills designed for specific weapons, commander skills, skills where you physically move enemies or allies around, zone control, etc.

Ultimately, there will be some overlap among other trees (e.g., a push skill that lets you "teleport" enemies a short distance in a direction your facing), but there's already plenty of overlap anyway, and Warfare can still be unique in many ways. I'm imagining Warfare should have at LEAST twice as many skills as the standard skill tree, maybe even 2.5x as many as the average tree. More than that is asking a lot, but I do think they need to throw strength characters a bone given their limited to one tree (though at least they have lots of different weapon options.)

journeyman
journeyman
Electoral College the vote. We don't need a tree that seemed to be "you can do anything the other trees can do sorta but you manipulate your body" and we certainly don't need a tree for summoning. We got something called Necromancy that currently just has the defining abilities of "be creepy," make that the heavy summon tree. Put in more physical options. Hell, redo the vote with those options out of it!

This. I believe it was GRRM that said "art is not a democracy"

I get that kickstarter is important to development, but the bottom line is, just because the backers voted for more magic doesn't mean that's what should be in the game. It's bad, the game is saturated with magic of all kinds and it doesn't need more.

If the whole point of crowd funding is for a dev to be able to not be beholden to the desires of out of touch publishers, then it stands to follow they shouldn't be beholden to some out of touch gamers throwing out bad ideas. either. 80% magic to 20% everything else isn't balanced; anyone can see that. Fix it.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Maybe this is what lots of cRPG players like. Look at Baldur's Gate series... Fighter type classes basically have no skills before epic level.

G
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Well, that's cause BG1/2 were based on 2nd edition D&D, and fighters there just got more attacks and could hit easier. There weren't skills, there were just spells and proficiencies. If you're designing a game from the ground up, and you give warriors abilities, it's weird to not fill out that role at all by just putting in one tree for them.

A
addict
addict
A

I also agree with this.

There's also the fact that, well, all the elemental classes have their own summons as well. Just how many summon spells do they plan to have?

And if the idea behind summoner skills is to buff existing summons or allow more than one? Make a talent and/or put such things in Necro, the tree of life/death, since it'd make sense for a necromancer to rely on summons

necro/earth had the most summons in the last game and that made sense since it involves being in tune with nature and/or life....divy up the planned summoner skills between them?

Last edited by aj0413; 24/10/16 01:24 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard