Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#589053 24/09/16 07:59 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Please, please increase movement speed AT LEAST 200%. The game is completely unplayable with the current movement speed. 200% increase would still be on the slow side but probably tolerable.

ramses01 #589131 25/09/16 07:50 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Impatient much? ^^ You do realize this is an RPG and not a racing game right?
Anyway if you like speed, invest points in scoundrel and dual wield daggers. Thats makes you run faster.
You can also pick up haste and/or rage for even more speed.

WHen in a town doing stuff you can also multi task your party. Send one char to go somewhere, use another char for something and while you do that thing the other char will arrive at the chosen destination.

ramses01 #589191 25/09/16 04:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
He just wants the out-of-combat movement speed increased. I've seen a bunch of other people complain about this as well. Honestly, I feel it's a bit slow, myself.

ramses01 #589197 25/09/16 04:55 PM
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
A 200% increase would be way too much. This is not a Diablo...

But I also feel that the out-of-combat movement speed could be increased a little.

ramses01 #589198 25/09/16 04:57 PM
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I don't think 200% is necessary but maybe 100% out of combat.
And honestly I think 25% in combat too. Actually moving in combat is terrible due to the excessive environmental effects, Attacks of opportunity, and the decreased AP cost of spells (from DOS1). Moving needs a buff. Having to use multiple AP to move and go around necrofire is devastating. Currently, using spells and Pawn to move on every melee character is the way to go.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I disagree. I think movement, in combat, might actually too strong now due to how many basic attacks someone can do once they catch up to you, which makes blocking certain paths way less useful than in DOS1.

ramses01 #589299 25/09/16 10:09 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Moving out f combat does feel a bit sluggish, and looks slower than it should.

Boosting it by around 20-25% should make it look and feel a lot better.

ramses01 #589309 25/09/16 10:39 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Movement out of combat could use a running button

Movement in combat could actually be toned down...A good basis is to look at the scaled distance on the ground, take a six AP turn as six seconds equal to one round of combat, and then realistically ask how far someone can be expected to move in those seconds given the average person.

D20 has a good system of movement where high DEX, skills, talents, ect.. can help but the base speed is there to represent realistic average

Damashi #589383 26/09/16 04:39 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Damashi
I disagree. I think movement, in combat, might actually too strong now due to how many basic attacks someone can do once they catch up to you, which makes blocking certain paths way less useful than in DOS1.

We're talking about out-of-combat. You know, walking around, exploring the world, moving from place to place.

ramses01 #589479 26/09/16 02:59 PM
stranger
stranger
Yes, I really hope for a boost in outside of combat running speed as well. In DOS walking long distances was well, a bore, and casting the abilities (that sometimes fail to cast) take even more time. An either faster running speed or a sprint button would be ideal. When you go through an area the first time this isn't a huge issue, but when you go back to areas you've already cleared out the slow speed is very apparent.

ramses01 #590154 29/09/16 10:25 AM
veteran
veteran
I don't think this is too much a problem... if you keep clicking close you go slow, clicking further they speed up. Don't know how it works with holding the mouse to move, but if that keeps in pertepual walking mode that might explain the complaining?

ramses01 #594344 23/10/16 02:32 AM
old hand
old hand
Bumping this thread to agree that movement speed out of combat still feels really slow. I'm extremely happy that bedrolls have made out of combat healing a breeze, and all inventories shown at once is awesome (though I hate how crafting is a separate area), so faster run speed is a similar quality of life improvement that would be much appreciated by nearly every player. IMO, Larian should do it now, before they design any encounters where current run speed is important.

Of course, 200% faster is way too much, but even 20% faster would be great.

If the animations looking silly is problem, well, some sprinting animations might be in order. These would be WELL worth the investment. Without the teleporter pyramids (as far as I've found), and rift travel requiring you to be by the rifts (as far as I can tell), world travel takes WAY longer. In certain ways, this is good, because it makes the island feel bigger. But it's still annoying how long it takes to run places. Especially in single player, where I can only control one character at time, positioning my team for combat or just running to buy something takes quite a while.

Last edited by Baardvark; 23/10/16 02:32 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Bumping this thread to agree that movement speed out of combat still feels really slow. I'm extremely happy that bedrolls have made out of combat healing a breeze, and all inventories shown at once is awesome (though I hate how crafting is a separate area), so faster run speed is a similar quality of life improvement that would be much appreciated by nearly every player. IMO, Larian should do it now, before they design any encounters where current run speed is important.

Of course, 200% faster is way too much, but even 20% faster would be great.

If the animations looking silly is problem, well, some sprinting animations might be in order. These would be WELL worth the investment. Without the teleporter pyramids (as far as I've found), and rift travel requiring you to be by the rifts (as far as I can tell), world travel takes WAY longer. In certain ways, this is good, because it makes the island feel bigger. But it's still annoying how long it takes to run places. Especially in single player, where I can only control one character at time, positioning my team for combat or just running to buy something takes quite a while.

The world should take time to traverse, and we should see the ability to teleport around it as a mysterious use of magic by the divines that is beyond the players grasp; a gift, because the world is realistic but also magical. The story is much more realistic this time around than in the first game, these mechanics that are based on reality back that story up.

I'm sorry but all this wanting to make healing out of combat a breeze and wanting to move around the world faster is just taking out the things that make Divinity what it is, which is more than just combat, it's a role playing game.

Last edited by chocolate; 23/10/16 02:52 AM.
ramses01 #594348 23/10/16 03:03 AM
apprentice
apprentice
I don't have much of a problem with the current out-of-combat movement speed. Moving too fast makes the world seem smaller and takes a lot of the "exploration" aspect out of it (by that I mean discovering hidden place/items as you travel).

I realize I may be in the minority but I think the movement speed is fine.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by chocolate

The world should take time to traverse, and we should see the ability to teleport around it as a mysterious use of magic by the divines that is beyond the players grasp; a gift, because the world is realistic but also magical. The story is much more realistic this time around than in the first game, these mechanics that are based on reality back that story up.

I'm sorry but all this wanting to make healing out of combat a breeze and wanting to move around the world faster is just taking out the things that make Divinity what it is, which is more than just combat, it's a role playing game.

I actually kind of like how you can't use the waypoints from any place, and the pyramids were pretty ridiculously strong, artifact level items that can make things hard to balance. Maybe we'll see the pyramids later in the game, but I get it if they never appear. I'm just asking for Larian to throw us a bone and slightly up the movespeed since they took away (rightfully, perhaps) the convenience of waypoint use anywhere and the pyramids. A 15-20% move speed increase isn't going suddenly make the world tiny, and if you're paying attention, the run speed shouldn't affect "exploration value." What, do you just run through everywhere at full speed and look at only the rate your characters are running?

And I fail to see how the tedious post-combat healing process in the previous game added roleplaying value. Basically you had to invest in a heal spell and spam it after combat, and it got old fast. I wouldn't mind if the bed roll system actually made the characters sleep in bed rolls and heal over a few seconds instead of instant-healing while running like now, which I actually find kind of jarring. But, what, are you going to make the characters sleep for ten days after every combat to heal their injuries to give roleplay value? There are plenty of ways to roleplay. No need to add tedium for immersion.

journeyman
journeyman

I actually kind of like how you can't use the waypoints from any place, and the pyramids were pretty ridiculously strong, artifact level items that can make things hard to balance. Maybe we'll see the pyramids later in the game, but I get it if they never appear. I'm just asking for Larian to throw us a bone and slightly up the movespeed since they took away (rightfully, perhaps) the convenience of waypoint use anywhere and the pyramids. A 15-20% move speed increase isn't going suddenly make the world tiny, and if you're paying attention, the run speed shouldn't affect "exploration value." What, do you just run through everywhere at full speed and look at only the rate your characters are running?

And I fail to see how the tedious post-combat healing process in the previous game added roleplaying value. Basically you had to invest in a heal spell and spam it after combat, and it got old fast. I wouldn't mind if the bed roll system actually made the characters sleep in bed rolls and heal over a few seconds instead of instant-healing while running like now, which I actually find kind of jarring. But, what, are you going to make the characters sleep for ten days after every combat to heal their injuries to give roleplay value? There are plenty of ways to roleplay. No need to add tedium for immersion.

Understand that when something is tedious, it is immersion being done poorly. Never feel like immersion should be at the cost of being tedious, good immersion will always be unnoticeable, and if you do notice it, it should feel fair.

But movement speed is fine, you can already use things like the scoundrel teleport (and tactical retreat which I won't acknowledge since it should be removed) to traverse the world faster using creativity.

Healing spells out of combat should have no cooldown, but when you are adventuring healing should cost resources. Those resources should be health potions, a single use bedroll, or using a companion slot for a healer. Sure, with a healer healing out of combat will be a breeze, but that's because you paid the price of a companion slot for the healer. You made a decision and lost something for that (a companion with more damage, or more cc), and gained something in exchange (healing). This is fair immersion, and it's how things should be when they aren't tedious.

And with faster movement speed you have to understand how this will shrink the world whether you think it will or not. When you are considering going back somewhere but mulling over in your mind if it's really worth it because of how long it will take, that's what makes the world feel big. The game is punishing you by taking your time, and it is fair, because a large world should take time to traverse.

ramses01 #594356 23/10/16 05:13 AM
old hand
old hand
I guess I just don't find D:OS is really all that much about immersion in the way that Skyrim or The Witcher 3 are. Sure, obviously I don't want it to feel like I'm just playing a game, but running around the world isn't going to be immersive like it is in first or even third-person games. It's just not the kind of game where the world feels huge and epic. Maybe later in the game I'll feel like I'm deep in the wilds or trapped in a dungeon, but it's hard to get that feeling when you can just move your camera over to civilization. I don't think run speed will affect that feeling, but I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I really want quite a modest change. Many people are going to be sad about always available rift travel being gone, though I think that's overall a good thing.

I think you'll find little support for the idea that non-combat healing should take resources. You don't even need to really invest in a healer since you could just Migo's Ring (even just equipping it out of combat). Or one point in hydrosophist and restoration isn't asking much, which will be plenty of healing out of combat. Again, D:OS isn't the kind of game where you're going extremely far into dungeons and wilds and need to be self-sufficient for long periods of time. It's more about density of interesting interactions than epic immersion, at least to me.

journeyman
journeyman
I guess I just don't find D:OS is really all that much about immersion in the way that Skyrim or The Witcher 3 are. Sure, obviously I don't want it to feel like I'm just playing a game, but running around the world isn't going to be immersive like it is in first or even third-person games. It's just not the kind of game where the world feels huge and epic. Maybe later in the game I'll feel like I'm deep in the wilds or trapped in a dungeon, but it's hard to get that feeling when you can just move your camera over to civilization. I don't think run speed will affect that feeling, but I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I really want quite a modest change. Many people are going to be sad about always available rift travel being gone, though I think that's overall a good thing.

I think you'll find little support for the idea that non-combat healing should take resources. You don't even need to really invest in a healer since you could just Migo's Ring (even just equipping it out of combat). Or one point in hydrosophist and restoration isn't asking much, which will be plenty of healing out of combat. Again, D:OS isn't the kind of game where you're going extremely far into dungeons and wilds and need to be self-sufficient for long periods of time. It's more about density of interesting interactions than epic immersion, at least to me.

You don't feel D:OS is really about immersion because it's all done so poorly, but it is a game that should be immersive, don't let Larian's broken systems convince you that D:OS shouldn't be an immersive game. (It is literally a role playing game, and immersion is what puts you into a role and makes you play the game in that role.)

Please, don't use examples of broken things from the game to prove a point. Yes, Migo's ring eliminates the need for a dedicated healer, eliminates the cost and reward of having one, and shitty skill trees don't force a character to be a dedicated healer. That's because these are broken mechanics not doing what they should, it doesn't prove anything other than that immersion can be done wrong, and I've already stated this.

Almost every mechanic in Divinity created for immersion is done wrong, because Larian doesn't understand that these are immersion mechanics, and throws them in without thought. If you want to use examples to prove your points, then use complete games like D&D, not broken ones in alpha.

Sorry if this all comes off a little harsh. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, text just has a way of looking angry when you're stating points.

Last edited by chocolate; 23/10/16 06:03 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Harsh points are fine to make. We are here to discuss the state of the game, not form a drum circle. wink

With that said I couldn't disagree more with your take on things.

Both the first and second game gives me a really good sense of immersion. The world is fun and interesting to engage with, not to mention how it stimulates your intellectual creativity.
RPGs have always had an element of puzzles to offer a challenge besides just raw combat, but the incredible flexibility in how you can build a character or deal with both combat, social interactions, and map navigation is a bit like a giant puzzle in itself.

Not to mention that I find many elements of the games internal logic both charming and funny.

Everyone have different tastes I guess, but I really hope the game is not changed into whatever you are hoping for at the price of losing what it is now.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Skallewag
Harsh points are fine to make. We are here to discuss the state of the game, not form a drum circle. wink

With that said I couldn't disagree more with your take on things.

Both the first and second game gives me a really good sense of immersion. The world is fun and interesting to engage with, not to mention how it stimulates your intellectual creativity.
RPGs have always had an element of puzzles to offer a challenge besides just raw combat, but the incredible flexibility in how you can build a character or deal with both combat, social interactions, and map navigation is a bit like a giant puzzle in itself.

Not to mention that I find many elements of the games internal logic both charming and funny.

Everyone have different tastes I guess, but I really hope the game is not changed into whatever you are hoping for at the price of losing what it is now.

I just want the game to be balanced and complete.

The game can still be immersive even with all of it's broken immersion, I love the game and find it very immersive even though I've made a list of 265 things currently broken in the game, immersion is 50/50, half being the game and half being your willingness to be immersed. The story in this game is incredible, I can't overstate how well it is written, and that alone will immerse most players, it certainly immersed me.

But the mechanics in the game that are there specifically for immersion are almost all not working properly. These things just need to be fixed, or if not fixed then flat out removed, because if mechanics aren't contributing to a game then they have no place.

Last edited by chocolate; 23/10/16 10:51 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard