Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Kilroy512512
Originally Posted by aj0413

Ya know, people get this?

The idea behind durability being immersive is pretty simple. Items aren't indestructible. I can bash open a door, I can break a stick I use as a weapon, so on and so forth.

It's intuitive to ones understanding of the world and how things work.

It's immersive that such intuitive thoughts hold true. Going counter to them is being the opposite of immersive.

There's a degree of suspension of disbelief for immersive games cause they aren't beholden to realism (ie magic), but accepting indestructible weapons is more further than I'm willing to go.

The fact that you don't have to hunt down components to fix things and can just use a hammer for everything seems like enough of a reduction of realism to me to reduce the 'boring' or 'annoyance' factor

You basically just gave the definition of realism and then called it immersion.

noun: immersion

-the action of immersing someone or something in a liquid.
"his back was still raw from immersion in the icy Atlantic Ocean"
-deep mental involvement.
"his immersion in Jewish culture"
a method of teaching a foreign language by the exclusive use of that language, usually at a special school.

In the context of games I would say that it more specifically refers to a games ability to make you either forget you are playing a game (the pipe dream of game devs the world over) or allow you to feel personally connected to the consequences of actions or events taking place in the game.

If the goal of the game is to make you feel more connected to it, the last thing you want to do is drag them into menus unnecessarily. This rips away immersion by reminding the player/players very clearly that they are in a simulation. That is the only net effect of durability that relates to immersion and it is directly counter to the concept of immersion.

You can argue that it is realistic all day, that's fine, but immersive it is not and tedious it is.

What? I clearly follow the definition: removing durability from an item detaches mental involvement cause it's counter intuitive and removes the connection to consequences of doing the simple action of bashing on things; and I mean bashing, not trying to break open a door with a guard nearby or anything, but hitting a wall or a rock or the ground.

Immersion = mental connection = I feel connected when my intuition on a basic axiom I work with all the time is followed.

Trying to argue what a given person finds mentally connecting is an argument in the relative

Hell, by trying to counter man me and say that only things that provide connections through consequences, I can argue any mechanic as immersive. Clearly, this is not the case.

And why does any of this matter anyways? Arguing about immersion, it's definition, how it's interpreted, or anything at all about it at this point is getting no one no where.

As I said:
We have two clear groups with an opinion
One at least has parts willing to drop the issue
How do we please the majority?

I find my logic pretty simple, yet it's routinely ignored for debating something relatively pointless

Last edited by aj0413; 24/10/16 09:35 AM.
journeyman
journeyman

As I said:
We have two clear groups with an opinion
One at least has parts willing to drop the issue
How do we please the majority?

I find my logic pretty simple, yet it's routinely ignored for debating something relatively pointless

I've already said it before: that repairing your gear in its current form is annoying and pointless is something that everybody agrees upon. As for pleasing the majority of people: you can either do so by removing the feature in its entirety (and it seems to me that the number of people who wouldn't miss it is more or less equal in numbers to the group of people who wouldn't mind a better, revamped system), or you put a better, revamped system in place.

The problem is that for now I've only read things like making repair a secondary skill to invest points in (nvm that we're already skillpoints-starved as it is), equipment that once broken is lost for good, or even talks of an RNG (this again? What's stopping me from quicksaving and quickloading to avoid it? And then what are we gonna do? Restrict save game and loading? For something as measly as an item repair?).

As bad as the current system it, I (and I'm sure, many other players) certainly don't want it to be replaced with something even worse.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by GrumpyMcGrump

Yes, people have been through this back-and-forth before. A dozen times, to be accurate. So far I've yet to see a single alternative that pleases the majority of people without making degradable equipment a pain in the backside, and there's a good chance that said valid alternative won't pop up at all. Just cut the knot (i.e. remove the feature) and be done with it. It's not that the game or the roleplay factor will be diminished in any way whatsoever without it.

A simple Repair All and some interesting side function like rewarding durability upkeep seemed good enough for most

Durability related skills also popped up

The idea of making repair hammers consumables also came up numerous times along side the repair all

Four ideas that make it a non-pain in the back side by letting you just hit a button every once in a while and brought in some actual thinking to make durability not feel tacked on and allow for interesting mechanics

I've already said it before: that repairing your gear in its current form is annoying and pointless is something that everybody agrees upon. As for pleasing the majority of people: you can either do so by removing the feature in its entirety (and it seems to me that the number of people who wouldn't miss it is more or less equal in numbers to the group of people who wouldn't mind a better, revamped system), or you put a better, revamped system in place.

The problem is that for now I've only read things like making repair a secondary skill to invest points in (nvm that we're already skillpoints-starved as it is), equipment that once broken is lost for good, or even talks of an RNG (this again? What's stopping me from quicksaving and quickloading to avoid it? And then what are we gonna do? Restrict save game and loading? For something as measly as an item repair?). In short, all of these ideas have their fair share of flaws which, if implemented, would render them just as annoying as the current iteration, only in a different way.

Just saw this:

- The RNG idea was quickly shot down
- I only saw people thinking of adding some repair related stuff to existing crafting skills, so no new tree and there are merchants for those who don't want to waste points
- I havent seen any suggestion for complete destruction; only that some people would like the idea of being able o breakdown items into components for crafting

A clear evolution of the system seems more than doable to please everyone to a degree

Last edited by aj0413; 24/10/16 09:47 AM.
journeyman
journeyman

The idea of making repair hammers consumables also came up numerous times along side the repair all

My main issue with durability related skills is what I've already said, namely that we're already starved of skillpoints as it is and investing more points in a tertiary skills is a forced waste. Now, if instead of a wholly new skill, blacksmithing could be expanded to also cover repairs (which would also make complete sense since a blacksmith's work is 50% spent on crafting new armors and weapons and the other 50% is spent on repairing them), I'd already be more okay with it.

veteran
veteran
Two make both sides happy, we need a way to easy it for one side and to keep it for the other side.

For this case I think, we need more realism:

1a) A tool doesn't break, just because you repaired one single item. A tool will brake, if you use it again and again to repair. -> Give Repair hammer charges that get consumed for every point of durability they are repairing.

1b) Having to repair every single part of equipment is totally annoying. Implement a button, that repairs all equipped items at once, consuming the specific number of charges. But it shouldn't repair items in your inventory automatically.

2a) It is ridiculous, that identifying an item destroys a identifying glass. What the hell are you doing for identifying? Smashing it on the item while saying a magic word? Replace the glass by either scrolls, to make it a logical consumable or replace it with some kind of magical item/orb, that comes with charges. Charges will be consumed depending on the rarity of the item. More rare items need more charges of course.

2b) Add an option to activate 'automatic identification' of items and if you make scrolls for heavens sake don't make scrolls of different rarity of identification, you already have to skill Loremaster and invest social points for this.

A
addict
addict
A

My main issue with durability related skills is what I've already said, namely that we're already starved of skillpoints as it is and investing more points in a tertiary skills is a forced waste. Now, if instead of a wholly new skill, blacksmithing could be expanded to also cover repairs (which would also make complete sense since a blacksmith's work is 50% spent on crafting new armors and weapons and the other 50% is spent on repairing them), I'd already be more okay with it.

I think your interpreting me wrong:
Crafting&Blacksmithing = repair skill, no new tree

Durability related skills:
Skills in Warfare for targeting enemy weapons or armor

Skills in Air magic for boosting armor in exchange for breaking your armor next turn or for doing the same with a weapon

Skills in earth for adding acid damage to a weapon but causing it to lose durability quickly over time

no new skill trees, just adding unique skills to existing ones that interact with the durability value on weapons an darmor

Now do you see an issue with those suggestions? I think they sound more than reasonable and fairly interesting to boot

Last edited by aj0413; 24/10/16 09:53 AM.
journeyman
journeyman

Skills in Air magic for boosting armor in exchange for breaking your armor next turn or for doing the same with a weapon

Skills in earth for adding acid damage to a weapon but causing it to lose durability quickly over time

no new skill trees, just adding unique skills to existing ones that interact with the durability value on weapons an darmor

Oh, I see now. By "skills" you meant an usable ability with cooldown like rage or fireball. Alright then, if it were implemented in such a way, I'd already be a lot more satisfied with it.

Originally Posted by Kalrakh

2a) It is ridiculous, that identifying an item destroys a identifying glass. What the hell are you doing for identifying? Smashing it on the item while saying a magic word? Replace the glass by either scrolls, to make it a logical consumable or replace it with some kind of magical item/orb, that comes with charges. Charges will be consumed depending on the rarity of the item. More rare items need more charges of course.

2b) Add an option to activate 'automatic identification' of items and if you make scrolls for heavens sake don't make scrolls of different rarity of identification, you already have to skill Loremaster and invest social points for this.

^ +1

A
addict
addict
A

Oh, I see now. By "skills" you meant an usable ability with cooldown like rage or fireball. Alright then, if it were implemented in such a way, I'd already be a lot more satisfied with it.

^ +1

Glad I could convey my point and get you to concede that :P

I don't think it'd be that hard to get everyone to appreciate an evolved system as you make it out to be.

There are some easy to understand and implement ideas that would obviously improve things for everyone

A
addict
addict
A
Two make both sides happy, we need a way to easy it for one side and to keep it for the other side.

For this case I think, we need more realism:

1a) A tool doesn't break, just because you repaired one single item. A tool will brake, if you use it again and again to repair. -> Give Repair hammer charges that get consumed for every point of durability they are repairing.

1b) Having to repair every single part of equipment is totally annoying. Implement a button, that repairs all equipped items at once, consuming the specific number of charges. But it shouldn't repair items in your inventory automatically.

+1

This guys gets it. Also, yeah, all of those ideas should be done.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I will not hate it no matter what. But I've yet to see a suggestion that for me is better than just removing durability completely.
And by "better" I mean it:
1. doesn't feel pointless
2. doesn't feel tedious
If all I need to do is pressing repair all from time to time why keep durability at all? It just adds nothing to the game.

I get the argument that bashing things would logically break your weapon. So here's my suggestion:
1. Remove durability
2. With a whetstone a melee weapon can be buffed with "sharp" effect for a certain (big) amount of attacks
3. When you bash chests or doors with a melee weapon it gets a permanent damage debuff
4. Additionally when you bash a chest open instead of lockpicking it fragile items inside break
5. Ranged weapons don't get debuffs from bashing chests but chests and doors are resistant to ranged attacks

journeyman
journeyman

I don't think it'd be that hard to get everyone to appreciate an evolved system as you make it out to be.

There are some easy to understand and implement ideas that would obviously improve things for everyone

I'm not 100% against repairing equipment, even if I don't like it and I don't miss such a feature if it isn't present. As long as it is done in an unobtrusive, quick and painless manner, I can live with it just fine.

A
addict
addict
A

I'm not 100% against repairing equipment, even if I don't like it and I don't miss such a feature if it isn't present. As long as it is done in an unobtrusive, quick and painless manner, I can live with it just fine.

Progress!!

And you reasoning is exactly why I say more people would be happy for just impriving the system.

Pleasing:
One half of the total player base + half of the half saying remove it = the majority

Ideally, durability would involve more than just repairing stuff since the idea that that's all it does and is there for is rather tacked on; which is why the durability related cooldown abilities being added to the various existing skill trees would improve things majorly and be well recieved I think...it'd also simply be really interesting addition to combat tactics

Last edited by aj0413; 24/10/16 10:39 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The idea behind durability being immersive is pretty simple. Items aren't indestructible. I can bash open a door, I can break a stick I use as a weapon, so on and so forth.

It's immersive that such intuitive thoughts hold true. Going counter to them is being the opposite of immersive.

What you state here is not an absolute truth, and in the specific case of Divinity it can be said to be absolutely false.

A vast majority of games only ever encompasses a span of time/usage within which an item would realistically be effectively indestructible, that is to say it would only break under unusual circumstances, and suffer no worthwhile wear over the course of the entire game.

In that way, it is entirely a break of immersion for the sake of gameplay(introducing a drain on the players resources) to have items break as fast at they do, often costing more to repair than they would to replace, and as mentioned by a few other people, gear maintenance is not a relevant part of the experience the player is immersed in when playing Divinity.

Immersion =/= realism. Realism is only a tool for building immersion, but not a pre-requisite for immersion to be achieved.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Naqel

What you state here is not an absolute truth, and in the specific case of Divinity it can be said to be absolutely false.

A vast majority of games only ever encompasses a span of time/usage within which an item would realistically be effectively indestructible, that is to say it would only break under unusual circumstances, and suffer no worthwhile wear over the course of the entire game.

In that way, it is entirely a break of immersion for the sake of gameplay(introducing a drain on the players resources) to have items break as fast at they do, often costing more to repair than they would to replace, and as mentioned by a few other people, gear maintenance is not a relevant part of the experience the player is immersed in when playing Divinity.

Immersion =/= realism. Realism is only a tool for building immersion, but not a pre-requisite for immersion to be achieved.

You realise I've been trying to move past this entire aspect of the discussion since it's both irrelevant and relative to ones own opinion on their interpretation of immersive qualities?

You're own rejoinder isn't an absolute. No ones is. Thus why are you focusing on the subject? It may seem relevant to define immersion in relation to D:OS, but it really isnt for the sake of discussing durablity (1) and it'd have no end since it's opinion based (2)

People want durability, for whatever reasons; some of those reasons so happen to include immersive RP values for them. -> This is an opinion. This is a relative stance to take based on their own wants.

Trying to argue down an opinion like this is like trying to argue moral philosophy.....aimless and endless

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
You are saying that people want durability but so far I saw only 2 or 3 posters who are strictly against removing it and you are one of them. Is there really a large group of people wanting to keep durability?

journeyman
journeyman
How I wish this forum had a polling mechanism....

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Alanta
You are saying that people want durability but so far I saw only 2 or 3 posters who are strictly against removing it and you are one of them. Is there really a large groupe of people wanting to keep durability?

Sigh....there've been a lot of threads on this; the more active users just so happen to also be the ones who want it gone.

Shrug....A polling mechanism would be enjoyable here, but there's also the issue of things like the kickstarter skill tree vote happening.

Which really just backs up the point of not removing and evolving the system to keep from alienating those who want it and to please those who really just need it to change to satisfy them

There's some clear suggestions the majority of people agree with: "Repair All" button being one of them. Why do we have to argue about this rather than just compromise and build on the points everyone can agree with?

Last edited by aj0413; 24/10/16 11:53 AM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Repair All would surely improve things. But you forget about the group that just wants it removed because it's pointless. There's no way to please everybody and I'd rather see resourses needed to improve durability spent elsewhere.

Also what's wrong with skill tree vote and how does it back up the point of keeping durability?

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Alanta
Repair All would surely improve things. But you forget about the group that just wants it removed because it's pointless. There's no way to please everybody and I'd rather see resourses needed to improve durability spent elsewhere.

Also what's wrong with skill tree vote and how does it back up the point of keeping durability?

It was response to the polling suggestion

And there are plenty of suggestions on how to make durability not pointless. Just look above on this page

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I should have said I want it removed because all the suggestions would make it either pointless or tedious or would require too much work to implement.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard