Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
Ok, level 4, just escaped the fort, was walking to where the seeker camp is marked on my map. Ambushed by 2 voidlings.

no problem. squash.

now there's 3 voidlings.

...ok... squash.

now there's 4.

squash.

now there is 8.

and they explode when I kill them...

uh....

wtf?

does this ever end? at level 4, there is no way I can defeat an endless stream of voidlings, especially if every time I kill one they explode and take a full health character straight to death. what's up with this?

Last edited by Ichthyic; 12/11/16 10:55 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
There are certainly many of them. I haven't counted but they are quite annoying; they do eventually stop coming, though.

J'aime le fromage.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Kill them from range, and exploit their weakness : fire.

I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
that would be great.. if most of my characters were set up for ranged combat, but only 2 are.

the fire attacks I have are limited range, and have long cooldowns, and they are all in cooldown when the 8 voidlings spawn after I just killed 4.

It's ridiculous, and it makes no sense. Now that you tell me it's NOT a bug... I can't see myself continuing to play this alpha any more.

WAYYYYYYY too much CC effects; nearly everything bleeds acid or poison or explodes or something, and the environment everywhere is filled with stuff that creates huge CC patches everytime you bloody drop a hat. Now this?

ridiculous. none of it makes any sense. I don't recall this kind of thing to half this extent in the original DOS.

Oh well, plenty of other games out there to try out while Larian takes their time with this and hopefully gets it right.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I had a problem with that fight as well, my rogue died like three times. I managed to cover the ground with electrified water and fire terrain though, which helped me a bit. Elemental arrows really came in handy there.

Last edited by Kelsier; 12/11/16 02:50 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I dunno, the spiders in the original game were pretty annoying too: in fact much more so in my opinion. Curiously enough, this wasn't a battle that I found excessively onerous other than its duration: "curiously" because I'm usually pretty crap at combat and tactics, so it definitely is possible, if a bit tiring. It's best to keep your party out of their immediate vicinity since they tend to throw up a curse when they snuff it, which is always annoying and occasionally slightly lethal.

The mêlée/ranged thing might be significant since I usually just have one mêlée fighter in my party: the Grand Prawn with a two-hander. The others are always a mix of archers and mages.

J'aime le fromage.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Been waiting to say this for so long:

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

grin grin grin

Where's my badge, Jimmy?
Where's my badge...?
apprentice
apprentice
I disagree, this is an excellent encounter that tests your battle tactic, at least the first time. I was surprised and happy to see three waves, and the most damage they do is when they die. I would only give them a better starting position when they appear, sometimes they are so far you can pick them apart one by one before they reach you.

Of course once you know what to expect, this battle is so trivial to be boring (but this is OK, in every game learning is most of the fun). There are surfaces and barrels of oil everywhere. I have one it 'solo'. Even if you don't have ranged characters, you must have invested in some skills and grenades, don't you? Grade: 9/10.

I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
no, it's a crap encounter for exactly the reasons I mentioned. it does NOT test your tactics, it tests your endurance, at a point in the game when you really shouldn't be tested like that.

that said, I ended up using teleport scrolls to toss the enemies into fire and then toss barrels of oil on them.

everybody died.

the end.

veteran
veteran
In my personal opinion, it's the best encounter in the alpha precisely because it's a test of endurance and your ability to adapt your tactics.

You think you've beaten the first wave, then more show up. Then more, then more. You have to cloose your movements and actions much more carefully. The fight has an inherent tension and uncertainty which makes it thrilling and memorable.

veteran
veteran
Our only issue with this fight was: You got far to much exp regarding how weak those voidlings are.

Of course you should not fight them in close combat. Use barrels to lock passages, use spells and arrows to keep them away, even warrior should have enough knockdowns to keep them from closing in to fast. They are easily cc'able.

If you are prepared for the fight, it can be quite boring.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
yep, super tactical fight. i was auto walking my guys cross map. they got ambushed. all my characters were in the worst possible locations to start a fight.. oh well. had to think a lot harder.

D
stranger
stranger
D
You are overreacting. These mobs have a single pattern (move toward character and auto attack). Either you have the worst party composition, or you aren't taking full advantage of your characters' capabilities.

Have a rogue? Finish them with throwing dagger (usable every turn) - won't get hit by them exploding.
Have a warrior? Finish them with one of warfare's plethora of "medium range" abilities (battering ram, battle stomp, whirlwind)
Have a mage? Save your aoes for any that clump up (move your party into a formation that forces them to clump up). Heal anyone who takes damage.
Have any CC? Grenades? Scrolls? These voidlings are stupid easy to CC as they have no armor *this part makes the fight especially trivial*.
Somehow none of the above? Cheese it by abusing the nearby noxious bulbs.

Personally I think the fight was enjoyable (especially the first time, when it was a surprise) - it went from "this is easy" to "oh, I have to be careful". That's not a bad thing for a game to throw at you, it forces you to rethink your tactics, but only in the most basic way possible (one variable changes - number of mobs). I don't see how it's "too early" in the game when there are harder fights available before that, and you have plenty of time to get sufficient gear as well as lvl 4 skills.

Last edited by Damon; 20/06/17 05:32 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just get the execute talent and teleport a clump of them together then it gets way too easy

Rogues are the best
G
stranger
stranger
G
Maybe it was just because I had an amazing comb, but I found the fight insanely easy with 2 mage, archer and fighter. Although I can't imagine any halfway sensible comb to struggle.

The ones that were close would simply be ported away on top of other ones and lit on fire, while the others that couldn't be teleported were hard cc'd. With blood lying around everyone, a single lightning bolt will stun so many, and their near non-existent shields meant cc all day long.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Honestly I didn't even realize they explode.... I've done this fight like 3 or 4 times now, and the fact they explode was never even a factor in my decision making in any of the times I played it because I was unaware of it till now. That being said, I found it to be extremely easy every time I've done it. None of the voidlings have any armor or magic armor, and you can blow on these things and kill them.

Maybe your gear wasn't upgraded at all or maybe your party comp is really bad or maybe your bad at this game idk, but I found this fight to be very easy. It also gives you more exp than like any other fight currently (each void gives 1000 exp) and they also all drop stuff that sells for decent value, providing you quite a bit of gold as well.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by devdev463
or maybe your bad at this game idk

lol
i didnt have any explode either. but yeah its easy but fun once you realize the power of fire and teleportation. teleport is so op.

old hand
old hand
Its one of the better encounters in the alpha and it is made as it is for story reasons. It adds to the game narrative and enhances the specific plot points.

Its not difficult at all, fire or no fire.

You cant just whack them without thinking a little bit - but thats the way it should be.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard