Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#595788 21/11/16 11:33 PM
OP Offline
Is it similar to barter in that it only is beneficial to the character when they open a container or is it a group cumulative?

I am trying to decide if I should stack lucky charm gear on a single character or if it is better to spread it out.

OP Offline
In my experimenting I found that lucky charm only benefits that character. So put all your lucky charm gear on one character. It only works on chests, barrels, crates, etc.. As far as I can tell it does not work on kills. (Unless they kill the thing? I didn't check that)

What it does: it's a proc. I don't know the rate per point, however, when it works there is a sound notification and 4 leaf covers fall from above the character. The result is 1-2 extra pieces of gear. I haven't seen any indication that it gives better gear/items, only more items/gear. I could only get to +4 lucky charm because of drops and vendor availability. I did a lot of save scuming (yes it's still possible, just not as easy) to see if it is worth it.

At this time I don't think it is worth putting points into lucky charm. In a single playthrough without save scumming and ending with +3 lucky charm and opening every single container with that character it procd 3 times. Always 1-2 pieces our extra gear/items always common gear not colored. YMMV, I think you are better off with points into thievery/sneaking and taking items off of vendors.

veteran
veteran
It's better to outright ignore Lucky Charm. The benefits it provides are negligible compared to the value those ability points would have elsewhere and it's not worth the time spent managing your gear before opening each container.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
It's better to outright ignore Lucky Charm. The benefits it provides are negligible compared to the value those ability points would have elsewhere and it's not worth the time spent managing your gear before opening each container.

Incorrect.

I just came back from the dead last night.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Concarne
Is it similar to barter in that it only is beneficial to the character when they open a container or is it a group cumulative?

I am trying to decide if I should stack lucky charm gear on a single character or if it is better to spread it out.

Through the first Original Sin, Lucky Charm was invaluable after putting two points in to it.

So far in DO:S 2, I've got one point in it and a ring giving an additional point.

It's benefiting me irregularly at this point. But gold is not plentiful in this game, which makes any free green gear or better a very helpful boon. It scales with your level too, of course.

I've found about twelve additional items of green rarity or better thanks to Lucky Charm, and I've used every one save three. Those three were worth 172 gold together. I went and got a nice new pair of pants. Good pants they are. Giving me good stats they do. All thanks to Lucky Charm.

Definitely worth a little investment. It'll pay you back dozens of times by the end-game.

I just came back from the dead last night.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
I've found about twelve additional items of green rarity or better thanks to Lucky Charm, and I've used every one save three. Those three were worth 172 gold together. I went and got a nice new pair of pants. Good pants they are. Giving me good stats they do. All thanks to Lucky Charm.

Were those green items the only things in the container, or did the container have other things (crafting ingredients)?

old hand
old hand
Level 1 gives precious items (stuff worth a lot), and level 2+ in it gives you a chance for magic items, level 4+ rares, and level 5+ a small chance for legendaries. And in fact, magic+ armor and weapons are the only things you'll find with lucky charm starting with lucky charm 3. (Unless they changed any of these things in the latest patch, not sure).

It's probably not worth it for just act 1, but throughout the whole game it might. The other civic skills are probably better investments mostly, especially barter if you want items. Moreover, it can get inconvenient to have a designated looter and always feel compelled to loot with that character. Probably too obnoxious to try and switch +lucky charm items for looting.

Would be way more convenient to eliminate lucky charm on items and the luck apply to any character within 25m or so of your lucky charm party member. Also feels weird that it doesn't proc off of corpses, either from direct kills or even corpses you find. That would up its usefulness a lot (probably adding 30-50% more times it could proc).

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard