Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#596433 07/12/16 02:27 AM
OP Offline
Has anyone discovered if you can pickpocket an NPC more than once?

I know the higher your Thieving skill is the more you can steal from one.

veteran
veteran
I'm pretty sure it's hard-coded so that you can only pickpocket once. This is to reflect that NPC's become more vigilant if they notice their stuff gone. In Patch 0 they started to search nearby if they noticed they'd been pickpocketed.

It's nigh-impossible the check anyway since you can only get Thievery to a maximum of 3 anyway, and that is IF you scrape up enough XP to reach level 8.

Stabbey #596439 07/12/16 04:33 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm pretty sure it's hard-coded so that you can only pickpocket once. This is to reflect that NPC's become more vigilant if they notice their stuff gone. In Patch 0 they started to search nearby if they noticed they'd been pickpocketed.

It's nigh-impossible the check anyway since you can only get Thievery to a maximum of 3 anyway, and that is IF you scrape up enough XP to reach level 8.

Use items. I got Thieving to 4 on my character. Course you gotta get lucky with the item spawns, I managed to luck out with 3 different items that give thieving.

addict
addict
Even with Thievery at 6 at the end of the game (+4 Thievery from Amulet, Glove and 2 rings), the Tinkerer NPC (The one that removed your collar) still doesn't allow me to pickpocket her again.

The 2-level-shop-base-itemreset doesn't work either.

I do like it this way though because it means I have to plan more carefully when I want to pick pocket someone to get the most out of my gold cycling while also not missing out on newer item after the shop item reset.

Last edited by Ellezard; 07/12/16 02:03 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
If you have items that give Thievery, you can give those to your other chars to pickpocket people once per char. It gets pretty ridiculous at level 7/8.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Maybe stealing could be allowed once every so many levels? Seems like thieving at low level is just a bad idea since you can only steal once

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by shaneo8709
Maybe stealing could be allowed once every so many levels? Seems like thieving at low level is just a bad idea since you can only steal once

The main issue with this is that stealing is already very strong, and this would make it much stronger.

A group can pass the +Thievery gear around and steal multiple items from every NPC for each member of the party.
In fact, the number can go even higher if a party of 3 custom characters also leveraged all of the companions. Swapping out for every companion character allows over 7 thefts per NPC, and more companion characters are going to be introduced. If you multiply this by every reset, then there's no point in even having currency, one can just steal everything they want.

Your suggestion could work, but perhaps it should have the caveat that the stealing restriction becomes once per group instead of per party member, and this resets every X levels.

Last edited by error3; 16/12/16 09:07 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
The biggest issue with thievery right now is GOODNESS do they stop caring really quickly. I mean I don't expect them to continue active patrols... but... well

Have you ever played one of those stealth games where if someone spots you they will run to where they saw you last... and if you hide for like... 5 seconds they go "Meh" and go back to where they were as if nothing happened?

Yeah this game is exactly like that.

Last edited by Neonivek; 16/12/16 09:08 PM.
Neonivek #597149 19/12/16 05:47 AM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Neonivek
The biggest issue with thievery right now is GOODNESS do they stop caring really quickly. I mean I don't expect them to continue active patrols... but... well

Have you ever played one of those stealth games where if someone spots you they will run to where they saw you last... and if you hide for like... 5 seconds they go "Meh" and go back to where they were as if nothing happened?

I know this isn't about you, but I don't think (unless the item is extremely valuable) someone is going to spend the next hour or whatever searching for an item that 'got lost'. Sometimes people are forgetful. Sometimes people just don't really care. Sometimes people will kill you because you picked up that knife. But... most of these simulations are actually based on real life. A guard, well, has to guard his post. Leaving that post to go investigate something leaves his post open to further intrusion.

Adding a negative modifier to any interactions with said merchant, regardless of if he knows you did it or not, would probably be the best way to go as it's more grounded in reality and would account for the NPC being 'more vigilant' or 'distrustful' of you or others.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by shaneo8709
I think once is good - I like it as it is. It makes you think when you are going to steal. There is no point stealing before level 4 if you want the decent skillbooks for example.

If you are planning to kill some NPC later you can think about when you want to trade with them (so you get your stuff back) and when they have decent enough items to steal rather than buy. It is part of the planning for me like putting points into a skill or anything else.

What I find interesting is that while some NPCs are helpful and stay completely still (Zaleskar for example) others wander around so much (e.g. Windego) that as a solo player you haven't a hope of pickpocketing them. It is hard enough catching their attention to talk to them.

It would make the game harder (and better IMO) if the necro witch who has the purging wand didn't just stare at the wall. Fighting her is now much harder but still pickpocketing her, refusing to give the wand to the dragon and then killing him is a obvious choice. Make her wander around I say and stop this cheat.

You are certainly at a disadvantage the fewer people you have in your party to distract people by talking to them and make them look the other way. As this is countered by needing less stuff it balances quite well.

Already you can get level 8 epic everything for everyone in your party before the last battle if you are prepared to plan, wait and so on. I don't agree with making it easier and (assuming you are playing for the first time) realizing you can only pickpocket once adds some extra variables to your game plan.

Stabbey #597160 19/12/16 10:09 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
In Patch 0 they started to search nearby if they noticed they'd been pickpocketed.

They should implement group searches. Also I always steal skill books since the can be consumed almost instantly. But if you are wearing stolen armor they should be able to immediately spot it.

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
Morbo #597172 19/12/16 02:48 PM
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Morbo
Also I always steal skill books since the can be consumed almost instantly. But if you are wearing stolen armor they should be able to immediately spot it.
Some kind of premonition right? Well, this game could have a pain reflection so if you slap a man in a pub you feel his pain. So when I have a stolen bike, bring it to the pawnshop, the shopkeeper already knew its stolen. That is a story from a world of over-sensitive telepath society. That is going to be a funny game indeed.

Last edited by gGeo; 19/12/16 02:49 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by NekotTheBrave
Originally Posted by Neonivek

I know this isn't about you, but I don't think (unless the item is extremely valuable) someone is going to spend the next hour or whatever searching for an item that 'got lost'. Sometimes people are forgetful. Sometimes people just don't really care. Sometimes people will kill you because you picked up that knife. But... most of these simulations are actually based on real life. A guard, well, has to guard his post. Leaving that post to go investigate something leaves his post open to further intrusion.

Adding a negative modifier to any interactions with said merchant, regardless of if he knows you did it or not, would probably be the best way to go as it's more grounded in reality and would account for the NPC being 'more vigilant' or 'distrustful' of you or others.

What I mean MORE was... That maybe people would up security, field a few extra guards, get body guards for shops, more closely guard their things.

Instead of going "Well, everyone on this street was robbed blind, but I think the Thief is going to give me icecream"

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard