Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by AlphaMagnum
How can I ask Larian? Is there some mechanism to get in touch with them for non serious issues?

That was more of a joke ;-)

You could of course ask here on the forum but I'd be surprised if anyone but Raze showed up in your thread. He is the community manager and although he really knows a lot I guess he does not have too much info about the game's internal workings.

Larian is busy with D:OS2 and has shown no increased interest in modding support since EE came out.
They don't even have increased interest in fixing the many bugs that are still in the game.

I'm guessing there's some parameter in the code like you say which influences whether each skill gets boosted by primary attributes. One theory is that AoE skills do not receive the bonus since the two we found were Battering Ram and Whirlwind. I'd have to look at others to form a more thorough opinion, but to some degree it doesn't really matter!

Could be, could be not. I have never looked into the actual damage numbers too much but took Larians settings as blueprints when making another spell.

Thank you for all your patience. It's not often that people are willing to offer real criticism as you did (that may be unnecessary, those skills aren't actually underpowered, etc) and I appreciate that you spoke up. I'm modifying things a bit like Scales did -- I've dug into those Skilldata files and am reducing the damage of several Master-level skills and I've slightly buffed enemy HP and movement/initiative to enhance the challenge!

You can reduce the damage of master level spells or you can simply not use them as I did in my last playthrough.

I suppose you don't want to try out the game unmodified for a very first playthrough ?
(And the only one for quite a while, as you said.)

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Makes sense.

I'm all about the mods, personally, and find my games quite enriched by changing mechanics like crafting or loot drops. As long as the mod doesn't affect the core story or gameplay in a big way, I'm happy to use it on a first playthrough.

I'd prefer to reduce their power slightly but still use them, since it seems like a shame not to use the big flashy high-level abilities granted by deep investment in a particular area!

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
I never minded using mods for some games even on first playthroughs. So I understand that
Divinity was an exception though, I played the unmodded game first before getting into modding and learning how to do it, mostly from this forum, especially the stickies.
(To be honest, I don't really play many different games though because I don't find most games interesting enough to pay money for them. ;-)

Of course I also used the 'flashy master spells' in previous playthroughs, it was only on the last playthrough I did no longer use them (and I found the game still too easy). But as said before, I played with my mod which made a lot of other things easier. I might have had better tactics than before but that's very hard to judge.

Modding is very time consuming, you can 'waste' enough time that version 2 is released by the time you're finished. So why not even take Scales which is a balancing mod, maybe make some minor changes and start right ahead.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I know that feeling! I think I've spent something like 10 hours modding so far! I'm actually planning to use XC_Bags modified to increase enemy HP and decrease skill damage as done in Scales. I liked the changes you made to crafting (particularly with the enhanced tormented souls and additional recipes, as well as ways to craft Man-at-Arms and other scrolls) and am leery of broader scripting changes as done in Scales. Plus, I've seen reports of crafting being broken entirely in some cases when using Scales, which, however unlikely, is absolutely a limiting factor for me.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
I know that feeling! I think I've spent something like 10 hours modding so far! I'm actually planning to use XC_Bags modified to increase enemy HP and decrease skill damage as done in Scales. I liked the changes you made to crafting (particularly with the enhanced tormented souls and additional recipes, as well as ways to craft Man-at-Arms and other scrolls) and am leery of broader scripting changes as done in Scales. Plus, I've seen reports of crafting being broken entirely in some cases when using Scales, which, however unlikely, is absolutely a limiting factor for me.

Hm, even XC_Bags contains scripting, although more Osiris scripting than character scripts, but okay.

The only problem with crafting in Scales, as I see it, is that Baardvark only included an external crafting file from somebody else and did not bother much too look into it.

I've looked into one 'Extended Crafting' file once, it might even have been the extension for Scales but I don't remember if it was.
Anyway, the problem of a couple of recipes not working was an error in the crafting recipe syntax. It still had the old syntax from D:OS Classic and not the new one of EE.

The error was a missing 'autoValue 0' or 'autoValue 1' at the end of the recipe line for a lot of recipes.

A correct line looks like this

Code
use category Oven on object XC_LOOT_Scraps_Wood_A_Mush with transform code Transform2 parameters XC_BOOK_Paper_Sheet_A,0,0,0,0,0,1,1 autolevel 0 autoValue 0

while the file I looked at had (look at the line endings)

Code
use category Oven on object XC_LOOT_Scraps_Wood_A_Mush with transform code Transform2 parameters XC_BOOK_Paper_Sheet_A,0,0,0,0,0,1,1 autolevel 0

With the missing 'autoValue 0' at the end, the crafting engine would ignore the recipe line making the recipe 'broken'.
Easy fix.
(The recipe above is an exclusive from XC_Bags, you will not find it in other mods. The recipe itself is of no interest, only the syntax is interesting here.)

The biggest advantage XC_Bags has in crafting is that I only have new crafting recipe in my crafting files, I did not include the old ones. (But they still work)
A disadvantage for modders is that if they need a recipe overview, they have to look into two files and not only one ;-)
And I have a preview XML (ItemComboPreviews.lsx) which I think allows recipes to appear in the crafting window's 'Recipes' page.

Last edited by vometia; 07/12/16 05:32 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags hide to long lines of code
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Sounds good to me! Is there any chance you could point me toward the file which holds the localization data for your magic bags? I was hoping to change the names of the bags for the player characters.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
The bags are not 'localized' anywhere, they are directly named where they are placed.

You can open the mod and open a level called 'XC_Dump' (that's the name I think, the level definitely starts with XC_ ;-) where you will find them in the item list. You have to rename them there.
The companion bags are there too but be aware that the named bags are assigned to companions in a fixed order. This is done with Osiris. If you rename those bags, you might have to edit the Osiris code or deal with the outcome.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I tried to edit some ranger skill; Rocochet; changing cooldown, ap, hitting enemies. But it nowhere seems to work. i tried both the skilldata.txt and excel file. but in game nothing is changed. what am i doing wrong ?

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by Swagata
I tried to edit some ranger skill; Rocochet; changing cooldown, ap, hitting enemies. But it nowhere seems to work. i tried both the skilldata.txt and excel file. but in game nothing is changed. what am i doing wrong ?

I was having the same issue with some other files, and it turns out, I was using a mod.

If you are using any mods, then edit the files from this location:

public/<modname>/stats

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
As Echo said, or more specific, the game picks up most stats - among them skilldata.txt - from a directory <divinity directory>\Data\Public\<modname>\Stats\Generated\Data.
This is where you should put the edited .txt file.

The game does not care about the Excel files, they exist to create the .txt files via macros.
The game does not care about the ...\Data\Editor directory and its subdirectories, only the mod editor does.

If you use Steam Workshop type mods which contain their own skilldata.txt, you can make as many changes to existing spells as you want, the game will not pick them up if it has already read the spell's data from the mod. You have to deactivate such a mod or unpack and edit it.
In an old style mod like 'Scales', you can put the changed file into the appropriate directory or edit the mod's file. Pretty sure Scales has it's own version of a skilldata.txt, so you would probably have to edit that.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I need help
I tried to change AP e Cooldown of battering ram

i went to \Data\Editor\Templates\Stats\Shared\Generated

i copied skilldata.txt and pasted into a new created path \Data\Public\Changes\Stats\Generated\Data

i just modified "ActionPoints" "4"data "Cooldown" "6" in "ActionPoints" "3" data "Cooldown" "7" but in game i still have 4 and 6

i also noticed that Ricochet has "ActionPoints" "4" in skilldata but in game i see 5 AP to use it :|

Can you help?

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Do you use a crossbow ? I think the 5 AP for crossbow use is 'stronger' than the 4 for the spell.

You either need to put the file into Data\Public\Main\Stats\Generated\Data and maybe Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data might work as well. But the game does not know about a path ...\Changes\... and thus will not read the file.

You would have to create a mod with the Divinity Engine and you could call this mod 'Changes' if you like, but the path then will look something like Data\Public\Changes-<some-combination-of-numbers-and-letters-called-UUID>\Stats\Generated\Data.
If you create a mod, the editor assigns a UUID to the mod and creates a directory which contains the name of the mod and its UUID. If you activate this mod, the game reads all stuff from this mod directory first before reading all the rest.

You can still do the 'easy way' and put your changes into two of the directories known to the game by default, the two mentioned above. In this case you might have to rename the file MainLSF.pak. There are a couple of threads on this topic and the mod 'Scales' is one of those that require renaming MainLSF.pak I think. You could look into it's README or installation instructions on Nexus.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
ok wait, i thought i could only edit skilldata.txt to make some changes but now you say i have tro create a mod?

i can do it in 2 different ways...or better,changing 2 different things

1-i Can change the vanilla skilldata.txt and then please explain me exactly what to do.
I used the path "changes" because you wrote <modname> so i thought i could create a folder with any name i wanted.

2-i use the mod Scales (but when i tried my changes i removed Public and Mods folders of that mod and then MainLSF.pak was the original) and i tried to change the skilldata of that mod,but it didn't work too! (\Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data)

I don't want to use the toolkit yet. i download it on steam,i opened it but all i saw it was some terrain changes,then i read that to modify range,damage,ap i can just modify the skilldata.txt
That's why i tried to modify the one in the original folder. If the game takes its data from that file,i shouldn't need to create a mode with another skilldata that overwrites the original one

Last edited by TheInvoker; 02/01/17 01:13 AM.
Any skill which has a weapon type requirement, like:

data "Requirement" "RangedWeapon"

as is the case for Ricochet, will always require at least as much AP as it does to attack with your equipped weapon; that is why it always costs 5 or more with a crossbow.

If you have SkillData.txt located in Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data it should use whatever changes you've made in game, regardless of any mods.

Last edited by Ameranth; 02/01/17 01:21 AM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Ok i'll check tomorrow about ricochet (removing Scales)

So i should be able to edit Scales's skilldata because it's already there but when i tried it didn't work,i'll try again this tomorrow too.

Let's say now i want to remove Scales and i want to make my small changes without using the toolset. Can you please write all the steps i have to do?

1-Going into \Data\Editor\Templates\Stats\Shared\Generated\Data to skilldata.txt
2-?

The stuff you find in Data\Editor\Templates\Stats are default versions of the stats files, but the ones that matter are what is in Data\Public\Shared\Stats. I don't know the specifics of the Scales mod, but if you modified SkillData.txt located in Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data, the changes should be reflected in game.

So, if you just wanted to make some changes to skill specifics, you could create a copy of SkillData.txt from Data\Editor\Templates\Stats\Shared\Generated\Data and drop it in Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data.

Lets say now you want to Modify Ricochet. Open up the copy of SkillData.txt you created and find Ricochet--make sure it is the correct version of Ricochet, because there are a few. The version used by players is listed as:

new entry "Projectile_Ricochet"

Under this line is the data for the skill. If you want to modify the base cooldown, in this case, it is:

data "Cooldown" "4"

You could change it to:

data "Cooldown" "7"

To raise the cooldown from a base of 4 to 7 turns.

Last edited by Ameranth; 02/01/17 04:13 AM. Reason: Additions
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
so i have to create that folder anyway,ok,i'll try it. so Before going to sleep i managed to modify Meteors Shower and Hail attack to bring back original range,reducing radius (both of the spell and of every projectile)

I also checked the 5 ap points for ricochet. maybe you were right about the crossbow because i didn't pick the ranger but the....i don't know in english,but you know who it is. i didn't even notice while playing that ricochet needs the same amount of AP of the basic attack,maybe because i usually don't use weapons of higher level than the character.

Now i have to decide if create my own skilldata with few changes or using scales and modify that one

Last edited by TheInvoker; 02/01/17 12:02 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard