#599345 06/02/17 02:30 PM
R
Rowy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
Hi all,

First post here, loving the game so far.

Since the latest patch 3.0.31.292 I've noticed the source pools are gone, and yes there has been discussion of this.

However, the source vampirism skill has been replaced with source disruption.

So now there are only about 4-5 source points available in the first act.

I've had to use some to open various things and I've used 1 in a fight so far.

Now I am going into the battle with alexandar and I only have 1 source point left.

Boo.

Anyway, I hope the situation improves.

Rowy #599346 06/02/17 03:06 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
From a roleplaying background it makes totally sense, as it's definetly not a good action to consume souls and not just a free recource laying around. So to improve background it certainly worked to show the bad sides that sourceres have.

Unfortunately it also deleted 1/3 of all avaible skills for my characters so thumbs down from me for that decision. Either let only the real OP, vile skills use source and the middle powered ones just have higher slot/AP cost, or just stop using source as a secondary currency for spells at all.

The current way is just boredom for any "good player" and their 5 basic skills and nothing advanced. frown

Last edited by MAsterX; 06/02/17 03:08 PM.
Rowy #599347 06/02/17 03:25 PM
R
Rowy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
Yes, and the monsters - even the magisters are able to use source magic pretty liberally. Chain Lightning here, Epidemic of Fire there...

Kinda sucks.

Speaking of which, chain lightning is just plain nasty it always just shreds my magic armour and stuns and if I havent foreseen it, my team is pretty much instagibbed after that.

Last edited by Rowy; 06/02/17 03:27 PM.
Rowy #599348 06/02/17 03:28 PM
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Source points should be removed from fights.

Rowy #599349 06/02/17 03:52 PM
Yeah the inconsistence is imho the worst part, both in gameplay as well as lore. (like magisters using source skills and such, plus the fact that they are readily available for enemies)

And yes, beside the deficient armor/protection system, the source point mechanism is, imho, also for me one of the worst things so far.

Last edited by Seelenernter; 06/02/17 03:53 PM.

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
Rowy #599359 06/02/17 06:10 PM
R
Rowy Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
at least we have the subtle op-ness of bless

Rowy #599582 09/02/17 01:15 PM
veteran
veteran
Magisters should probably not be allowed to use Source skills at all. I mean, it's their whole THING.

I also fail to understand the reasoning behind removing the Source Puddles lying around. Those are pre-placed, single points, and often you needed to send a character after them immediately so an enemy wouldn't suck them up. It offered at least some method of getting Source if you didn't want to suck up Source Jars for role-playing reasons.

Rowy #599588 09/02/17 01:50 PM
It also feels off that source is oh so rare and powerful but on the other hand every enemy utilizes it and there are masses of source users imprisoned...

I totally wished Larian would also look a bit closer to The Dark Eye ruleset for their gameplay mechanics and consistency, not just the basic ideas for their lore.
(all that forbidden magic good or bad stuff is almost 1:1 from the DSA/TDE G7 Bordbarad campaign, more consistence there and it's not called a sourceror but pact cultist, the prime user that went outta whack and met his demise not Braccus Rex but Borbarad, and the attracted creatures not voidlings but demons, but you get the idea...)

So yeah... really wish they would put a bit more emphasis on consistency...

Last edited by Seelenernter; 09/02/17 01:57 PM.

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
Rowy #599672 10/02/17 03:01 AM
old hand
old hand
Swen said they're making systematic changes with source, hence the removal of the source pools. Presumably there will be some new opportunities to gain source points in the first act, unless they plan on making it more of a second act+ thing. The source pools felt really weird anyway. Like, oh wow, here's some source just lying around for some reason! Maybe if it was clearer that there was some reason these source pools existed in their locations, like, a powerful sorcerer had died there, or there was some kind of source spring, but even in those situations, I feel like dialog interactions would feel cooler and help explain why source is lying there.

And yes, magisters definitely should not be using source skills willy-nilly. Or maybe you could have a couple magisters use it in a desperate moment, and their friends are like, "what the hell?!" and start attacking them.

Rowy #599675 10/02/17 03:20 AM
veteran
veteran
It depends on how corrupt the Magisters are, but if I see how openly the Flencer butchers in the big hall, I'm pretty sure the magisters on the island are deeply corrupted. Their intention is not to imprison sourcerers for the good of the world, but to use them as their guinea pigs and mindless soldiers (monks). The same reason why they want Cork to see the real truth about the Magister order. Only a few perhaps like the blinded one could probably be innocent enough and are perhaps fresh recruits. Dallis herself is pretty obvious a sourcerer, in the first scene she already rips the source out of somebody and Shriekers seems to be products of source experiments as.

Rowy #599684 10/02/17 06:23 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
I think more avenues to gain source will appear once we are off the Island.

HECK we can't even see ghosts yet unless everyone else can... and that is the major source of source points. (Unless that was scrapped)

Rowy #599688 10/02/17 06:40 AM
old hand
old hand
Good point that the magisters certainly are corrupt and basically outright evil. But I would bet only the higher ups use source, not random magisters. Seems like the higher ups would rather steal the source out of their underlings than use them as mere guards. So Kniles, Judge Orovid, Alexander, and Dallis are fine to me as source users, but otherwise, it just seems weird.

Rowy #599693 10/02/17 07:28 AM
addict
addict
@Baardvark: haven't made my way to that stage yet but I would agree in many corrupt corporations, it's usually the higher-up who've gone awry. The rest? Especially the lower ones: they're forced to take sides( under threat from above), they sincerely believe in the purpose of what they're doing or they need to feed their family.

That said, I hope to encounter Magisters who run away after they figure out what's actually been going on.

Rowy #599709 10/02/17 12:34 PM
veteran
veteran
I would say this prison island is most likely the main center of the magister or at least one of their most important bases, so most magister are corrupt. They do so much evil stuff their, incinerating monks, making monks, making flesh golem... It's hard to believe there are many magisters there, who did not witness those evil doings and did not turn into corrupt fanatics.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard