Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
==
With the patch 2.0, a lot of the older tricks to have easy gold at the start of the game has been heavily nerfed (painting trick) with the insane rise in equipment and skill book pricing in order to emphasize more on trading instead of just stealing to victory.

While there are a lot of complaints about how this needs to be fixed, the patch actually made it even easier to have tons of gold as long as the player explore every possible gold option in the game.

As I am writing this, my new characters so far are about to exit Fort Joy after exploring all the different routes to gain all the items and gold and have about 3k gold in coins with over 3k more in recyclable items and nearly every mandatory skill learned for every characters.

In this tips and tricks, I will list majority of the trick I am using in order to have insane amount of gold, to the point they might as well be inifinite if you AFK with the game active. I will not talk about the painting trick since everyone talks about it already.

===

Bartering and Attitude

With the recent patch, Bartering is now extremely important because of the Overcharge/Discount power. Red Prince starts off with 1 in Barter and you might want to boost it so that he can buy and sell everything for the game for maximum value.

The game also demands the player to actually use the Attitude system now before trading with all the NPCs in the game. An NPC you're trading with at 100 attitude will offer the OC/DC around level 2 Barter, greatly dropping all the equipment and skillbook price down. NPCs where you have to purchase multiple copies of a skillbook or craft material are best pushed to 100 attitude before you do any trading.

How does the attitude system work? The current game will boost the NPC attitude if you shower them with gifts and it will drop if they catch you stealing or hitting them. A few NPCs will have attitude boost from quests but the amount of them around is very minimal and most of them aren't even merchant-type NPCs so they're best ignored.

To shower the NPCs with gift, simply offer them X amount of gold in item or coins and the attitude point depending on how much you're giving them, up to 100 points. Every NPC has a certain ratio of Gold/AP. Majority of the merchants in Fort joy will gain 1 AP per 2 or 3 gold, with some exception at 1 AP per gold. To figure this out, try to give the NPC 12 golds at first as that is divisible by 1 2 3 and 4 and you can then figure out the exact Gold/AP ratio.

Also, when talking to the House of War lizard guy in the Elf cave who sells all the warrior stuffs, use Ifan "Soldier" tag to gets easy permanent discount.

===

Sparkler Card

By Lester tent is a dying NPC who will die after a certain amount of time anyway. (Don't forget to buy or find a mug of beer to give to Lester for EXP and have Redprince do the talking so he can shout at her as well for extra EXP)

After he dies, grab the Sparkler, go back to the Entrance to Fort Joy, climb the ladder to the left (Near the crying mother) and go to a gank of 3 playing cards. Join the game, show them the Sparkler and mention how Sparkler always win and that's the rule to get some easy gold.

Also kill all 3 of them anyway for more gold and exp because they are all potential enemies.

===

Nice Mother Margo

Margo, who is by the beach, just want to talk about her son. Every character can take turn talking to her and always allow her to talk about her Son. Doing this 4x will give you 4x Recovery Scroll which is about 88 extra gold in the early game for investment into the crafting method.

===

Crafting

With the rise in equipment prices, Crafting is very important now if you want to be rich. Here are the following NPCs you will want to befriend at Fort Joy

Nebora - The merchant NPC near the gate to Fort Joy. She sells Empty Canister, Flask and potion bottle

Maol - The earth spell book NPC. He sells Empty Canister and Nail. He also gives you a gem if you pick the right dialogue options.

Lester - The doctor NPC who sells potion material near the entrance to the Elven cave.

Here are the stuffs you want to craft

Potion of Con- Empty Potion + the brown twig-like herb Farhangite.

Potion of Elemental Resist - Empty Potion + Any of the mushroom

Minor Healing Potion - Empty Potion + Penny Bun mushroom (picked from around the place)

Magic Armor Potion - Empty Potion + Whisperwood

Healing Elixir - Minor HEaling Potion + Yarrow Flower (picked from around the place)

Nail Grenade - Empty Grenade + Nail

Chemical Canister - Empty Canister + Intestine (picked from corpses and dead animal)

Razzle Dazzle - Empty Canister + Jellyroom

Poison Flask - Empty Flask + Ooze Barrel (just pick one up and you can keep using it for crafting)

Branches - Log (picked from random crate) + Knife (any knife weapon)

Makeshift Staff - Brancher + Any shell

All of them will give you a 4-13 gold profit per crafting or higher based on the attitude and barter level. The store restock every hour or when you level up. The earlier you do this, the more you generate later especially when you start to recycle them with the next tip.

The makeshift staff is a special case and they fetch really nice price for something you randomly pick up from the map.

===

Boost your wits and get good weapons before fighting Magistrate

Not because you want to have an easier time winning, but because you want to kill them before they act. Magistrate love to carry grenades or unique arrows around with them. By killing them before the get to use those, they will have a high chance of dropping them for you to loot. These grenades sells for extremely good value and can be recycled.

With some of the unique weapon like Houndmaster crossbow and some good knife, your archer + default Ifan can kill or at least knockdown with the KD arrow before they even act.

===

Know which NPC will die to recycle trade goods

Certain merchants NPC in Fort joy will fight you because of the quest. By knowing which NPC will die, you will be able to recycle goods from trading.

-Gold from trading will not be fully returned from killing them.

-All Consumable goods and stuffs you sold to them will be looted from their dead body.

With the crafted stuffs from the last trick, you can just sell EVERYTHING to an NPC that is about to die, get all their expensive stuffs, and kill them as part of the quest chain to get all it all back to trade to someone else.

For example,
The Teleporter quest. Gawin will run away after you help him. However, if you do this quest with someone else also having teleport (Magister Bed room behind the Necromancer tent), you can bring them along to the teleportation spot and have him pre-cast teleport on Gawin who was taunting you and teleport him back to kill. If you do it this way, the quest will be marked as completed (since you already helped him and he will die somewhere else anyway) and you can also kill him for all the loots you sold to him while also receiving his unique robe for Leste to use.

You can then do this with the
Griff's Gang
later.

This is why it's so important to carry around 2000-3000 gold worth of Bomb and scrolls. Reusing them on 4-5 different NPCs is almost the same as saving 8000+ gold to buy different skill books and gears before you finally permanently sell them to someone you won't kill outside of Fort Joy.

===

Thievery

The last patch made Thievery even more mandatory especially with "The Pawn" now requiring 1 Scoundrel to be taken for anyone who wants to waste no AP with repositioning.

When stealing, you can only take up to X amount of gold in value from the NPC. This value is based on your character level and your thievery level above the requirement. Every base character levels add 60 gold to the cap and every extra thievery level add about 40-50 gold.

Let's say you are stealing from someone with a requirement of 1 in Fort joy. Your character is level 5 and you have level 4 Thievery from stat+gear. You can steal 5*60 + (4-1*50) or up to 450 gold in item/coin. Skillbook will show their base price instead of the inflated +150% trade price and you can easily steal everything that needs to be learned at around level 5.

You can only steal from the same NPC once per character. Save your stealing for later levels when you can really get all the expensive loots instead of going for early level 2 or 3 extra golds.

If you can find some early game Thievery rings, get them. At fort Joy, you only need level 1 thievery to start stealing with every character around level 5 for great efficiency where you can steal all the basic skill book (and all the advance book if you have 2 rings like I do). If they suffer from the "Need level 2 because not enough finesse", use a bedroll for the "rested" stat which will boost their fineese by 2 temporary, allowing you to steal anyway with only level 1 thievery.

If you already teaches every character 1 Scoundrel anyway, try to get everyone the "Walk-in-Shadow" sold by Hilde in Griff's Kitchen. With this, anyone can steal with minimal set-up since all you have to do is have someone talk to the NPC to keep them busy then stealth-and-steal with the other characters before running away.

NPCs won't notice they have been robbed until you finish the conversation so just steal and run and leave the best talker around to persuade everyone that you're clean. Lizards are the masterrace especially with the +1 to Persuasion so with a little Fineese on custom character or just some Str on the Red prince, no one will ever doubt you and let you run free.

Just use these tricks and you won't complain about gold issues ever again. Well, maybe about the inflation.

Last edited by Ellezard; 07/02/17 07:51 PM.
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
For the Sparkler Card, you can also heal the dying NPC with magic and he will live and give you the Card himself.

Empty grenade + broken bottle gives armor piercing grenade.

Killing Griff's gang is mandatory, I prefer to keep them around for the shops, and you can save Stingtail too by killing the hitman sent to kill him.

Last edited by Finito; 07/02/17 08:46 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Finito
Empty grenade + broken bottle gives armor piercing grenade.

Killing Griff's gang is mandatory, I prefer to keep them around for the shops, and you can save Stingtail too by killing the hitman sent to kill him.

Never really figured out where toget Broken bottle.

I kinda left Fort Joy after learning everything and teaching all my team 4 adrenaline 4 stealth and my archer everything so there was very little reason to keep them alive and just turn them into EXP food because... well, look at the inventory as I'm about to go shop at Zaleskar next.

[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
For the Sparkler card, you can give the dying guy the poisoned beer from the frog cave. It works identically to harmless beer, in that he'll die from either anyway.

enthusiast
enthusiast
For the sparkler card, I wish you could mix non-poisoned beer and a healing potion to create a healing beer so the man would be healable without having to have some kind of standard healing skill.

addict
OP Offline
addict
If you need a healing skill, just visit him again after defeating Migo who is in the beach close-by for his restoration ring.

It's just really easy and fast to just buy the beer from Grief or whatever npc in Fort joy for a few gold and visit Leste right away for the exp and sparkler without having to do anything else first. The quick 240 EXP is only worth doing for the level 1 to 3 rush where you only need to proc the EXP bonus once.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ellezard
If you need a healing skill, just visit him again after defeating Migo who is in the beach close-by for his restoration ring.

It's just really easy and fast to just buy the beer from Grief or whatever npc in Fort joy for a few gold and visit Leste right away for the exp and sparkler without having to do anything else first. The quick 240 EXP is only worth doing for the level 1 to 3 rush where you only need to proc the EXP bonus once.

I actually prefer the least murdery routes possible. For example, I collect flowers adn stuff to sell, which lead me to discovering that if you have yarrow you can talk to Migo and leave peacably, and then you can send Magister Yarrow to him, and the two talk. The downside of course is that I have to give the healing ring to Yarrow to get there.

Still, if I get yarrow flowers and stuff quick enough I can use that ring to heal sparkler card dude too, I suppose.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by TraceChaos

I actually prefer the least murdery routes possible. For example, I collect flowers adn stuff to sell, which lead me to discovering that if you have yarrow you can talk to Migo and leave peacably, and then you can send Magister Yarrow to him, and the two talk. The downside of course is that I have to give the healing ring to Yarrow to get there.

Still, if I get yarrow flowers and stuff quick enough I can use that ring to heal sparkler card dude too, I suppose.

But murder = tons of exp.
Does he eat the Yarrow flower? Or does it remains in his inventory. Because if he eats it, rip recyclable Elixir for great gold.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Does he eat the Yarrow flower? Or does it remains in his inventory. Because if he eats it, rip recyclable Elixir for great gold.

Murder also equals bad RP, at least for me. I prefer to keep NPCs alive unless there's no realistic alternative.

J'aime le fromage.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
You get XP600 for giving the ring to his mum. She then goes to the beach, you go and talk to them and you get the key for the entrance to Orvids Chambers.

If you want you can then kill the happily reunited pair and get XP1000 for Migo and XP600ish for his mum and get the Yarrow flower and the ring back from their corpses. Or you can pickpocket them. Many options...

Originally Posted by vometia
Murder also equals bad RP, at least for me. I prefer to keep NPCs alive unless there's no realistic alternative.
Me too on the whole. XP could do with a little balancing re good and evil choices though. Some places you do get more for being good and it mostly balances out. In this case evil is excessively rewarded. Same with Slane - XP600 for good, almost XP4000 + rare/epic item for evil.

It only matters if you are on some obsessive quest to get to level 8 before the last fight though which takes too long and isn't much fun. Playing how you like gets you to 7 and is more enjoyable I think.

When it comes to crafting, Invisibility potion (empty potion bottle + Chanterelle mushroom) for 150 gold is a good 'un.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by lx07
You get XP600 for giving the ring to his mum. She then goes to the beach, you go and talk to them and you get the key for the entrance to Orvids Chambers.

If you want you can then kill the happily reunited pair and get XP1000 for Migo and XP600ish for his mum and get the Yarrow flower and the ring back from their corpses. Or you can pickpocket them. Many options...

I tried and just kill Migo right after giving him the flower.

My playstyle is "Lizard and dragon masterrace" anyway so I'm extremely bias and just kill anyone who cross me while trying to save every lizard/dragon in the game.

Unless they are forced to be killed like Saam. RIP.

veteran
veteran
Yarrow is the daughter and Migo is the father, not the other way round. Also the Yarrow should be still in his inventory.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TraceChaos
For the sparkler card, I wish you could mix non-poisoned beer and a healing potion to create a healing beer so the man would be healable without having to have some kind of standard healing skill.

He's an asshole who attacks you if you heal him with magic. So I don't care about trying to heal him.

I like the poisoned beer method better because since the beer is always there, it's free, and not much slower than buying it. He dies if you give him regular beer anyway, and he's a jerk.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey

He's an asshole who attacks you if you heal him with magic. So I don't care about trying to heal him.

Really? Lohse healed him with magic(in all my plays) and he never attacked her. He just got all paranoid-like towards the rest of my party and grumpy towards her.

In hindsight, I didn't blame him 'cos of all the problems about Source magic.

Last edited by DrunkenTofu; 09/02/17 04:08 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've always healed him with magic and he's never attacked me for it, whoever I'm playing as. He is quite pugnacious in most other respects, though.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Well at least, he gives you a Sparkler card instead of "whining/lecturing you about how come you took so long to arrive with help, plus a sarcastic remark about your abilities".

veteran
veteran
Huh. Well, I guess that's changed then. I did make some complaints earlier about ungrateful NPC's who attack you for healing them, maybe they changed that.

addict
OP Offline
addict
With the recent hotfix, everything price is down to almost nada again. Recyclable gold is still a thing but 4x thievery after level 5 is all you really need to break the game again.

veteran
veteran
With the recent hotfix, everything price is down to almost nada again. Recyclable gold is still a thing but 4x thievery after level 5 is all you really need to break the game again.

Maybe so, but that sounds like a case for tweaking Thievery and possibly making it much more difficult for NPC's to be stolen from a second, third, fourth time. That makes sense, since if you get stolen from once you'll probably be more on your guard, hence the difficulty will increase. That will keep Thievery useful without making it TOO broken.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Maybe so, but that sounds like a case for tweaking Thievery and possibly making it much more difficult for NPC's to be stolen from a second, third, fourth time. That makes sense, since if you get stolen from once you'll probably be more on your guard, hence the difficulty will increase. That will keep Thievery useful without making it TOO broken.

The issue with Thievery is that it's too simple that you can't add anyway to deal with it.

Let's say that they become more aware and become harder to steal statwise (they need to have higher wits), that won't stop me from using my worst thief first (Low Finesse, thievery from gears only) before stealing again with a master thief (Very high Thievery and Finesse). Logic-wise, they're not going to suddenly become super aware that they can prevent an invisible master thief from pick pocketing them.

Thievery concept is pretty much broken in general that you can only nerf its value. Atm, the value cap is 60 per char level + 50 per thievery level above the minimum. If we want to really nerf it, the equation will need to be changed t o something like

40 per char level + 70 per thievery level + 10 per finesse
above enemy Wit

so that the "Thievery rings thief" won't be able to steal half as much as what a real thief can do.

Last edited by Ellezard; 09/02/17 11:53 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard