Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Affected Macs: Macs with GeForce 320/330 and some other old Geforce Video Cards.

Symptom: Random game lock-ups on Macs with old Nvidia cards

Explanation: The game hangs up in simple draw calls. Performance of game has been improved and now video card randomly locks up. This is 100% Apple/NVidia bug. We can’t do anything about it.
F.ex. disabling shadows will almost instantly lock-up the menu. If you need to start from scratch remove graphical settings file from your profile or edit it to enable shadows again.

Right now on our sample machines with 1280p resolution the game starts fine. We keep shadows. Menu works correctly, you can move around. You can start and play the game. We’ve observed first lockup in the tutorial dungeon. Enabling shadows demonstrated lockup on menu screen.

Affected OS: 10.11.0-2? The workaround for old Yosemite issue is still enabled on 10.11 as well.

OS X 10.9.5 is completely unaffected. Game runs and works pretty solid on this platform.

EDIT: This issue should be fixed in Sierra.
A separate issue in Sierra will cause D:OS Classic to crash on startup, though.

What you can do to help?

Right now we need confirmation that:

OS X 10.10 status for those video cards.

IMPORTANT: If you ever touched VideoCardBugList it’s time to remove the file and recheck game cache to obtain it once again.

Sampling and Apple bug reports.

To get sampler output from the Activity Monitor:
1. Verify your Steam or GOG game cache (the latter if using the Galaxy client)
2. Launch Activity Monitor
3. Start the game and get into a freeze state
4. Now Alt-Tab back to Desktop and check Activity Monitor. What do you see? How much CPU does the game consume?
5. Double click on the Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition process and press 'Sample' button. Wait until Sampler is finished
6. Save sample output using 'Save' button

The apple site is bugreport.apple.com. Be sure to provide Larian support mail as additional info (supportdos@larian.com).

And concluding all this: Sorry guys and gals, we will try, but this is definitely an Apple issue. We will be updating you with all the relevant info.

Last edited by Raze; 10/02/17 04:01 AM. Reason: update
apprentice
apprentice
Isn't the problem actually just having a video card below minimum requirements? Geforce 300 series cards are an OpenGL 2.1 video card and this game requires OpenGL 4.x video cards.

So doesn't seem like an Apple issue, and more of not having a OpenGL 4.x compliant video card.

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

There is some legacy support code in the OSX version for older hardware, which wasn't ported to the Linux version, and the implementation of OpenGL is a little better in some respects in OSX compared to Linux, so there is a difference in the minimum requirements.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Very sad to not be able to play on my macbook but thank you very much for all the help Raze. I wanted to add that this problem does not seem to be fixed on Sierra 10.12.3. I have tried various workaround combos, starting the game out of steam, etc, to no avail.

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Actually, this should be fixed with the 10.12.3 Sierra update, for the Enhanced Edition (a different issue in Sierra will cause D:OS Classic to crash on startup, though).

For EE crashes:

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game? Firewalls have caused conflicts (generally on loading screens, though) and overlays from graphics tweaking/monitoring programs or chat programs have also caused issues.
Game Center has caused startup crashes, particularly in El Capitan.

Check for updated graphics drivers, etc.

Try pressing the Cmd key at game startup, and enable all the workarounds, if possible.

Try verifying the install files: in the Steam library, right click on Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Maybe I am missing something but I am having the same problems: random lock-ups, starting more or less at the tutorial dungeon, while running Sierra (w/ NVIDIA 320m). sometime the game will work for a min or two after loading but invariably it will stop working. Same symptoms as when I ran the earlier OS. I have tried lots of different workaround combos, as you've suggested in other threads. This is all on DOS EE, Classic does not load as you've described. Thanks again for the input.

Just did another check: game files verified, just the necessary programs running in the background, but still no luck.

Last edited by Stevecfish; 10/02/17 04:24 AM. Reason: update

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard