Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Now don't get me wrong I am not one of those people who thinks Necromancy sucks... In fact it is a very great skillset and one of the most powerful...

In the hands of a front line melee character. This is something I support whole heartedly as it allows a very interesting hybrid character. This game does hybrids far better then the first game did by leagues (not perfect, but that is why it is in Beta and not already released)

Yet the game creates a noob trap by including the Witch class who exists only to show the combo of Blood Rain + Contamination (a risky combo that is hard to use and usually doesn't pay off). Yet the witch simply cannot pull off their own build very well because Necromancy is not only based off of physical armor (once again, HIGHLY support) but it is based off of the frontline and not the backline.

Unless you are going to redesign necromancy, add more magic armor ranged skills to necromancy IN THE EARLY GAME (You can't "It works later" for a starting class), or something... You need to either remove the Witch class or redesign it. If Geology got a lot more physical armor attacking skills it might work a bit better (and there is every indication it will get both). Though Necromancy is still very frontline focused.

Mind you I know that for the Witch what you are supposed to do is just use the point in Necromancy for the health regen, maybe get mosquito swarm or decaying touch... but otherwise ignore Necromancy entirely. Yet that is something for experienced players to tackle through a custom build. I am not sure giving players the impression of making a Necromancy + Geology to do well in the early game is the way to go.

I realize those two skills might work very well in the later game, in fact I expect it somewhat... and I know having it as a class is a great indicator to the player that it becomes viable at some point. Yet I am not sure if making them struggle pointlessly at levels 1-8+ is the best way to convey it to them.

---

I mean to put it in perspective. Witchcraft in the first game started off kind of "weak" so to speak. Yet it did feature malediction and curse at level 1, two spells (One support, one soft-CC) that were amazing from the start to the very end of the game. Not to mention the Earth aspect got Giant Spider (One of the best spells in the early game) and Oil (Great CC)

A Witch in the first game was REALLY not hurting for great skills in the early game. They were a force without even touching any other skillsets, from the start of the game to the end.

Witch in DOS2 is basically naked! There are two good attack spells they can get early on (Fossil Strike, Magic Poison Arrow) and exactly one more way later (Rupture). It desperately needs fire to function.

Mosquito Swarm isn't a bad skill, but it is meant to supplement an otherwise competent offense.

Last edited by Neonivek; 12/02/17 05:19 PM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
I think just 2 decent damage spells early would make it more viable as a starting class while not giving it too much to pull it way from a more support focused class.

I also have a problem with my witch not being able to do much vs undead as they are immune to poison and bleeding so I would like to see spells have more front loaded damage rather than all DoTs.

Sven confirmed they are reworking most of the classes and adding new things that will make it seem less like only 4 or 5 choices are viable.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard