Next Thread
Print Thread
S
smokey Offline OP
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
S
Being hungover on a Sunday is never fun, but Monday mornings seem so much better when you feel you did something useful apart from lying on the couch all day…

So that leads me to firing up the Larian forum and offering a critique of voiceovers in the game, and why I feel they should ditch them (well, we all like to feel useful in different ways).

Ever read a book? I’ve read many. It’s a great little hobby, and it does for your imagination what the gym does for your body. Books are superior to films and television precisely because there’s no one there to voice the lines. No actor can compare to what you can imagine yourself.

That’s why the vocally silent old school games are so great: you never hear anyone speak. You imagine the personality behind the written lines, which us what makes the experience so much richer.

The second win is relation to time and expenses. Do you really want this studio squandering their time hiring voice actors and getting them to record the lines, when the end result is just some noises of variable quality? No doubt thousands would be wasted in the endeavour as well. I feel the time and cash would definitely be better spent on addressing the other more significant issues already mentioned in the forums. The gameplay is more important than someone talking. And I’d rather read than listen at any rate: my brain’s a better voice actor than anyone who does it for a living, and so is yours.

Last edited by smokey; 26/03/17 08:43 PM.
I second that. Cheers.

C
C
It's also lazy and comes of as half assed. Expecially when a good part of the last games charms was the acting

enthusiast
enthusiast
It adds padding to the experience making my playthroughs alot easier so i enjoy voiceovers

Last edited by Bullethose; 27/03/17 06:29 AM.

Rogues are the best
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I generally like voices: I suppose for me it's not so much the difference between watching telly or reading a book, but watching a silent movie or a "talkie". Older isn't always better.

Voice acting can make or break a game, so it's a gamble: I'd love the sort of voice acting we had in Ego Draconis, but Beyond Divinity less so. And yeah, it is expensive, but to me it just feels unfinished without it.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard