Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
old hand
old hand
I'm going to steal the name Synchronized, Kalrakh, and Stabbey's Leadership Summon idea for this concept:

Synchronized: Summons affected by auras projected by the summoner also project that aura themselves.

So, say, you could use the summons as proxies to increase the area that your leadership or Favourable Wind aura covers. Need more positive auras to make this more useful, but even just using it with leadership (assuming a slight range buff) could be very good

Another, more extreme idea:

One Mind, One Body: The summoner and their incarnate share all statuses, negative and positive.

Hasting your summon would haste the summoner, but you'd also share poisoning or knockdown or the like. Probably Armor on one would still block the status from the other, but possibly negative statuses would effect both no matter what. Hard to say whether this would be amazing or terrible. I'm leaning towards thinking using your summon intelligently with a buff-heavy party member could make this stupid good.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Glass cannon + memonic summoner with that talent yum yum

Last edited by Bullethose; 05/04/17 01:40 AM.

Rogues are the best
veteran
veteran
The problem with your synchronized: The idea is nice, but it would be only usefull if you any kind of such a buff in use. Would be something in the way need leadership and summoner to unlock.

Not sure about what you mean with the second one:
If your summon has no armor and gets knockdown, would you get knocked down too or would your armor prevent the summon to get knocked down?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
The problem with your synchronized: The idea is nice, but it would be only usefull if you any kind of such a buff in use. Would be something in the way need leadership and summoner to unlock.

Not sure about what you mean with the second one:
If your summon has no armor and gets knockdown, would you get knocked down too or would your armor prevent the summon to get knocked down?

Plenty of talents are semi-situational. Again, more positive aura buffs are needed to make truly a useful talent, but yes, with current skills you'd basically need leadership to make it worthwhile. Perhaps it could even require both leadership and summoning to unlock.

I dunno about the second one either. Probably the negative statuses would not bypass armor, but it might need to bypass armor to be balanced. Probably a crap concept if it requires breaking the armor rules though. Could work better as a skill, too.

S
stranger
stranger
S
These are just some suggestions for each tallent:

BERSERKER:
I feel that once you get below 25% health it won't take much more than 1 hit to kill you off, so depending on where you fall (which percentage so below 10 or between 16-20) sort of becomes pure luck. I think once you hit a certain percentage like 15% or 10% you damage is simply doubled OR
once you get below 50% you do 125% damage, 25% health = 150% damage and 10% = 200% damage
Something slightly more manageable that a tiny difference of 5%.

COUNTER STRIKE:
Tbh it's rare enough to dodge in the first place but then to only have a 25% chance to counter attack, let me tell you that's never gonna happen... Maybe this should also increase your dodging % or make the counter attack a 75%.

Also I didn't know you could block attacks with your shield, I thought it just increased your physical and magical armour.

I haven't read any of the comments (too many of them) so I have no idea if you've added any ideas or not. Hope this helps tho.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Seymour
These are just some suggestions for each tallent:

BERSERKER:
I feel that once you get below 25% health it won't take much more than 1 hit to kill you off, so depending on where you fall (which percentage so below 10 or between 16-20) sort of becomes pure luck. I think once you hit a certain percentage like 15% or 10% you damage is simply doubled OR
once you get below 50% you do 125% damage, 25% health = 150% damage and 10% = 200% damage
Something slightly more manageable that a tiny difference of 5%.

COUNTER STRIKE:
Tbh it's rare enough to dodge in the first place but then to only have a 25% chance to counter attack, let me tell you that's never gonna happen... Maybe this should also increase your dodging % or make the counter attack a 75%.

Also I didn't know you could block attacks with your shield, I thought it just increased your physical and magical armour.

I haven't read any of the comments (too many of them) so I have no idea if you've added any ideas or not. Hope this helps tho.

Very good points. So what if Berserker did 2.0x damage at 10% or under, 1.67x 11-30% health, and 1.33x damage 31-49% health? That makes falling in a particular range less important.

Shield Bash and Counter Strike could have a 100% chance to go off, since dodging and blocking is so low, and Shield Bash can do 100% of weapon damage.

All numbers are subject to further tweaking of course.

old hand
old hand
Do i remember correctly that traits were removed in the new game?

If that is so and nobody mentioned before then all those effects that traits were giving could become talents.
Most of them were very useful additions to skills and abilities.

i liked that system a lot, btw.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah but alot of the traits led to one class i.e. heartless or compassionate was crit chance vs backstab chance to hit OR one was obviously better than the other immunity to fear vs 1 in loremaster. I honestly like them being gone it removes some of the structure behind story choices.

Rogues are the best
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Wow... how did I not notice that Bigger and Better is still +1 Attribute point in a game where not only do you get 4 times the amount of attribute points per level, BUT starting attribute values have also been doubled? Bigger and Better is undeniably garbage now because it is unchanged.

It as well as All Skilled Up, for some reason, have a "Requires Level 2" restriction, which seems odd since it's literally impossible to take them before level FOUR.

Bigger and Better - Required: Level 2 4
Increase all your Attributes by 1 point.

There. That's an improvement, it boosts all primary attributes by 1, and all secondary (utility) attributes by 1 as well. Or how about this:

Bigger and Better - Required: Level 2 4
Gain 4 Attribute points.

Also better. I'm sure other people could have other suggestions.

Walk It Off in D:OS EE was changed from D:OS 1 classic to "Statuses with a bodybuilding saving throw have one fewer turn duration". That was an improvement, but for some reason, when Walk It Off was moved over, it was reverted back to the lousy Classic version. This is an easy fix:

Walk It Off
Statuses which are saved by Physical Armor have one fewer turns duration.

Maybe Kalrakh is right. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Last edited by Stabbey; 08/04/17 02:58 PM. Reason: nvmind
veteran
veteran
Most of this statuses only are for one turn, and I don't thnk Walk it Off does reduce below 1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Goading presence: When enemies are within 8m of you at then end of their turn they will attack you on their next turn

Heavy strike: Increase AP cost of attack by 1 but gain 30% damage

Two's a team:When fighting with only two character gain a 25% health bonus or 25% damage bonus

Ambushers: When you or one of your allies gets the first strike gain 5 initiative

Pain is power: Take 25% extra damage but gain 2% extra damage per 5% of vitality lost

Last edited by Bullethose; 08/04/17 11:22 PM.

Rogues are the best
veteran
veteran
Does attacking from outside of combat count for first strike? Probably a bit to easy to achieve. xD

Pain is power sound pretty useless. You would need to lose 50% vitality and still would not deal as much extra damage as you receive. Also they first need to shred your armors, wich would be easier for them, while giving you nothing in return.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hm i thought about increasing the numbers with pain is power but im scared since its viability depends on what a rush and comeback kid aswell.

Last edited by Bullethose; 09/04/17 12:10 AM.

Rogues are the best
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Bullethose
Goading presence: When enemies are within 8m of you at then end of their turn they will attack you on their next turn

That sounds more like it belongs as an activated Taunt skill than an always-on Talent. If all enemies within 8m are targeting you constantly, you'll probably get sick of dying.

Heavy strike: Increase AP cost of attack by 1 but gain 30% damage

Attacks cost 2 AP. Increasing the AP cost by 50% for a damage increase of 30% is inefficient. It should be +50% damage.

Pain is power: Take 25% extra damage but gain 2% extra damage per 5% of vitality lost

I'll run the numbers on that. You need to be under 35% health before your damage output is +25% to match the 25% extra damage you're taking. That's a bad place to be, it's basically one-shot range. So you're going to get off maybe one hit at +25% damage before dying.

That does not look like a worthwhile trade. You seem to really like Talents which are designed to kill you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah... i changed heavy strike to 30% my original idea was 50%.

I'll admit my favorite characters next to rogues are berserker type warriors whom trade health for damage so yeah i come up with trade-off talents. For that skill I was thinking about making something extreme where it reduces the damage you take as vitality increases but that would too powerful so i dumped it.

To iterate my original idea it was something like
After your one/both of your armor's are broken reduce incoming damage by 4% per 5% vit and gain 2% damage.

Last edited by Bullethose; 09/04/17 01:50 AM.

Rogues are the best
enthusiast
enthusiast
I do like the idea of turning damage you've taken into extra power. Maybe it should be a necromantic skill - do 50% damage to yourself, but give yourself 50% extra damage plus some physical armor (let's say 0.10*lost HP for a start) because you basically bulk up? In my mind the reference point is a kind of power where you literally turn the damage you've taken into physical power, bulking you up as a result. I don't think it should be a Talent though, it sounds better as a skill.

Last edited by Kelsier; 11/04/17 09:44 AM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was thinking "gee, the game creates too many surfaces which are huge and obnoxious", and came up with this idea:

Surgical Spellcaster -
Decrease the radius of all AoE's and surfaces created by your spells by 75%, but increase their potency by 75%. Surfaces which would be smaller than 0.5m in radius are rounded down to 0 m (no surface created)

EDIT: Decrease the radius of all AoE's and surfaces created by your spells by 75%, but increase the potency of all AoE/surface creation spells by 75%. Surfaces which would be smaller than 0.5m in radius are rounded down to 0 m (no surface created)

The idea behind this Talent is to drastically increase the power of your spells, but shrink their effect to make them basically single-target spells. You won't be making any AoEs or spreading surfaces with a radius this small.

Thoughts? Too powerful? Should the power increase only apply to spells which are AoE or create surfaces? That's probably best, actually. Okay, idea revised.

veteran
veteran
Regardin the fact, that surfaces themselves deal hardly any damage, except if you can blow them up, I would say 75% damage increase would be far to much. Also each skill would need and estimate for created surface in their description? Also most surfaces don't deal damage at all: ice/water/blood. And how would it work for air? Air itself does not create surfaces, but it affects 'surfaces' if they are water, blood or steam.

What if the added damage bonus actually "used up" an existing surface, kind of like how blood sucker heals you based on the amount of blood and eliminates the surface, this talent would make it so that surface skills also "absorb" some existing surfaces to contribute to that damage bonus, which as Kalrath said, shouldn't be so high.

Usually I'm a bit shy suggesting skills and talents, since I find it so difficult to balance these things on paper without knowing so many other factors like enemy AI, health, armor, etc, but here are a few things I've been thinking:

There should be a Purist talent for each school. The requirement is that you can only have points into ONE school. As it stands, hybrid builds (especially with all this memory) are extremely easy to pull off and seem to have no drawbacks. Maybe that's okay, I'm actually a huge fan of this kind of flexibility, but I also think it would be really interesting to give people some real incentive to become a Purist.

What do you guys think of this and what should the talent actually DO? How punitive is drawback of being restricted to one school and what is the best way to balance this? I'm thinking there should be a Purist flavor for each class, but for programming purposes, it might be easier to have one Purist talent that applies buffs to the attributes the school already modifies. For example, at lvl 5 Hydro, Putting a talent point into Purist gives 15% more healing and 15% more magic armor. Something like that.

____

The second idea has to do with Pain Reflection. I really like the idea of also reflecting CC (which of course would only be effective if the enemy has 0 armor of whatever type). Maybe at lvl 5 Pain Reflection you could have the option of becoming an Elemental Mirror (better names are welcome).
_____

Along these lines, I think it would be interesting to have some skills or talents that change incoming physical damage to magic or vice versa. Maybe something like:

Internal Balance: 50% of physical damage received is converted to magic damage and 50% of magic damage received is converted to physical damage.

or maybe something more interesting...I'd love to hear more ideas.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard