Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
In that case, I think I would hazard a guess that the Champions' fort area and the Council may possibly be one and the same. The bit that you're not allowed to enter (I spent some time seeing if there was a way around the guard!) could potentially be the way into the Council building.

I was also just trying to place Hunter's Edge on the map: I suspect that you may probably do a better job of pinpointing its exact location! But the more I think about it, the more I think that actually works as the location for D:OS in relation to DD and ED, another reason being that Hunter's Edge and Cyseal are within easy raiding distance for orc ships sailing from Yuthul Gor whereas you don't really see them up in the Fjords possibly thanks to the navigation-unfriendly Fort Joy being in the way.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I have found something.

http://images.rpgnuke.ru/divinity_original_sin/concept/worldmap.png
Could this be the official map of the OS1 area?
Much stuff fits just well here and when I try to decipher it, the letters are readable.

Edit: Okay it seems to be that this map is part of the OS collectors edition! That makes it official and the map can be integrated into the worldmap it seems! hehe

Edit2:
I was now able to decrypt the letters.
These are the words:

LATIN - English

URBS CYSEAL - City of Cyseal
ORA PRAEDATORIS - Hunter's Edge
LAPIS SACER - Sacred Stone
PALUS UMBRARUM - Dark Swamp
VALLES ARGENTATA - Silverglen
SILVA LUCULLA - Luculla Forest
PLANITIAE MAGNAE - Great Plain
SILVA LARUM - Seagull Forest?

Last edited by RenWex; 19/04/17 06:52 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh, sorry, I'd just assumed by what you'd done so far that you must've known about that map! Yes, it's the CE edition cloth map, though it was somewhat criticised for being a bit brown and sludgy; it's not that bad, though admittedly it's not that exciting either. I never attempted to verify exactly how accurate it is. I suspect "a bit".

I'm slightly mystified as to what Silva Larum could mean: I can see where you got "seagull" from but unless it's an in-joke (which of course Larian never do biggrin ) it seems its meaning is a bit more opaque.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
No I did not know about that map until today^^
It gives some good points to add into our project map.

But it seems I have done a good job so far without even knowing the official map laugh
Well, I will integrate it with its coastlines and stuff into the whole thing.

What does intrigue me the most is that rough landmass to the south of hunters edge, right under the compass rose. I will add this shape into the map aswell, perhaps we'll see on OS2 release what this can be.
At least Fort Joy is not alone in the southern sea anymore laugh

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Update 8:
I used some of the information from the official OS map to alter the terrain around the southern coast a bit.
We now have more forest and swamp terrain there and hunters edge has its landmass now.
Additionally I altered the sea, so we have this unknown island and a bit of an archipelago.

Here is the link to the sketch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2z5byq2k5x773q/Sketch8.png?dl=0

PS: Can I somehow edit the thread title? I think the current does not fit well anymore.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
You're more observant than I am, I hadn't noticed that extra bit of land before. And more disciplined, as part of me was just "meh, ignore it!" when the whole point is to collect ideas! I wonder what's the nature of the landmass, whether it's another island or if the sea south of Yuthul Gor is like the Mediterranean and the land sweeps all the way back around with this as its spur?

ISTR the title can be changed by doing a full edit on the OP, but if the window has passed (they become uneditable after a few days) just let me know and I'll change it for you.

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
how can you change it? Do you have somekind of special rank here? laugh

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Forum janitor. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well nice to know! hehe
I think something like Rivellon map project would sound nice, but theOP would also be misleading now since this thread is not about a question of mine anymore but rather a project to work on a fanbased map.

What also bugs me a little is that I can't put the updates into the OP post to show the advancements directly instead of having the reader to go through the whole thread.

Last edited by RenWex; 20/04/17 09:15 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, that's a forum feature that can sometimes be quite inconvenient. Not something I can change myself and I'm not sure it's configurable (or if they would even want to do so, for that matter).

But if you want the subject to be changed I can do that, and add a note to the OP if you like. I wouldn't worry too much about the OP accurately predicting the evolving scope of the discussion, it's just what they do!

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Okay in that case: "Rivellon Mapproject" would be fitting better, what do you think?

Oh and I almost forgot to answer to all of what you said before:
Yeah I am very observant regarding to maps. I'm kinda obsessed with them!^^
I am mapping for years now, even created a whole world on my own.
It is just a thing that I can enjoy everytime I do it^^.
So things like that unidentified landmass under the compass just jump straight into my eyes.

I just hope that we'll find out what this landmass is looking like, when OS2 releases.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Okay, done. smile I additionally thought perhaps "Rivellon Mapping Project", but either will do, I think!

I enjoy looking at maps to see where places are in relation to each other, but my cartography skills are rather lacking, so it's nice to have someone around with the inclination and skill.

I'm also interested to see what the various in-game maps look like. Hopefully something that'll fit in with what you've put together so far...

J'aime le fromage.
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thanks a lot for editing the title.
I think project to attract more attention than requests and questions. Hopefully this will lead to more people being interested in this and sharing their knowledge with us! smile

I still dream of one of the larians getting interested in this and telling us if this goes into a good direction, even though the current sketches are just for informational purpose and the artistic stuff is yet to come! smile

Update 9:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxv8skhyk9bovt9/Sketch9.png?dl=0
The broken valley and some areas in the fjords just got a bit rockier.

I am wondering if I should just strech the yuthul gor wastelands to the eastern end of the map to get a nicer closing.

PS: This is going to be the goal for the artstyle of the map:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/snpnsd2rvgaqv8y/Industa%20PNG.png?dl=0
(sorry for the file being so big^^)

Last edited by RenWex; 20/04/17 11:18 AM.
A
addict
addict
A

This is going to be the goal for the artstyle of the map:

This looks really nice! Looking forward to the final map, even if it's just one (though maybe the best) of all possible maps of Rivellon.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
thanks for the positive response^^
I will do my best to ensure that this is gonna be a high quality map, even if its just fanbased! hehe

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
There is a guy on steam who has kinda made it into Gamemaster mode.
He made a couple of screenshots and explained that these pics come from around a hundret GM maps.
With them we can get a further view into the terrain variety of OS2

RenWex Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I decided that the graphical style that I showed earlier is not what I want to establish on the Rivellon Map. This is why I experimentated a bit and this pixelart style is what I think would fit well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnuxpvzyclfvy3n/Terrain%20Test.png?dl=0

Right now it is based on a baselayer, a light layer which brings lights, shadows and therefore depth onto the surface, a texture Layer and as additional element a Layer with trees.
More elements will add more variety and fancyness to the composition! ^^

BTW: This current style is not the final result. there will be tweaks for each layer to create harmony between current and coming elements.

Last edited by RenWex; 02/05/17 08:24 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I really like the effect that you've got going on there: your description of how you've achieved it sounds like it's a lot better planned than the one attempt I made at mapping where I just used a haphazard pile of layers and brushes in Gimp to end up with a result that wasn't really all that great in the end!

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Didn't Dragon Commander feature a world map?

I'm more interested in a detailed timeline.

Divinity games tend to be relatively self-contained so world details are not that vital.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I was also intrigued by the idea of Dragon Commander's map, but apparently it doesn't really represent anything especially useful, unfortunately.

And though the Divinity games do exist quite happily on their own, there are some locations in common so I find it interesting to consider how they might join up.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard