Page 1 of 2 1 2
#603081 01/05/17 09:50 PM
A
Agares Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
yo, so I havent played the game yet (I bought it in october) just because it doesnt have voice acting yet. Any info about it? Is the voice overs being worked on at all?
Cant surpress my self from not playing the game any longer.

Agares #603098 02/05/17 02:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Last I checked they had no plans to add voice acting until the game was otherwise completely finished / released, if at all.

Agares #603100 02/05/17 04:04 AM
Support
Support

There will be some voiced lines, similar to how it was done for D:OS Classic (character/NPC comments with overhead text, combat shouts).

Raze #603102 02/05/17 05:35 AM
A
Agares Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
and when will this be? is it possible to even speculate?

Agares #603103 02/05/17 06:45 AM
Support
Support

It's always possible to speculate...

Raze #603106 02/05/17 09:21 AM
A
Agares Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
to speculate the time*

Agares #603147 03/05/17 04:15 PM
K
stranger
stranger
K
Due to the vast amount of lines they are planning, I believe they mentioned they won't be thinking about it until it's fully released. It will likely end up like the original with some voice lines and then more added at a later time.

Agares #603238 05/05/17 10:46 PM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
They were vague about it at first ("We still don't know, we'll see later in development" etc), then at some point they confirmed the final game was going to be fully voiced...
Aaaaand then they retracted that statement just few weeks ago, saying that all the possible permutation for your character make the game a nightmare to voice so it will be a mixed solution.

Personally I would be completely fine with the good old compromise of "NPCs voiced, your character silent", but from how they worded it won't be that either.
They are apparently going for "Most of the game not voiced, except for few occasional highlights". You know, like Baldur's Gate and similar.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/05/17 10:47 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #603240 05/05/17 10:54 PM
Support
Support

There was never a statement that the game would be fully voiced, that I've seen, or seen mentioned before now. Some website may have stated that, but then some websites guess on release dates and use D:OS pre-alpha secreenshots for Enhanced Edition reviews.

The voiced lines will be similar to how it was done in D:OS Classic (character and NPC lines with overhead text, combat shouts).

Agares #603245 06/05/17 04:33 AM
C
C
They need to stop being lazy, the last game was voice acted, combat shout should be there, if not more

CamKitty #603251 06/05/17 10:57 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CamKitty
They need to stop being lazy, the last game was voice acted, combat shout should be there, if not more

Yes, that's right, the only possible reason for little or no voice acting is that the developers are lazy. Spot on.

Agares #603255 06/05/17 01:26 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Actually it's because the forum members are lazy: we should do the voice acting. I can contribute an annoying laugh.

J'aime le fromage.
Stabbey #603319 08/05/17 04:55 PM
A
Agares Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
will the narrator be voiced at least? since if the barks will only be voiced its complete bs

p.s. why did they have to multiply *amount of words* by 14?

Last edited by Agares; 08/05/17 04:58 PM.
Agares #603344 09/05/17 04:11 AM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Agares

Probably because that's a good thing in itself, despite making other good things more difficult. I mean, expecting the entire game to be voiced when you're talking about a CRPG with lots of dialogue and role-playing opportunities is kinda unreasonable IMHO. It's incredibly expensive to voice even a small amount of dialogue; that's no small part of why the options in the more recent Elder Scrolls games are so obnoxiously limited and limiting.

But then, I view voice acting in games as a luxury, so I'm probably in the minority on not caring much. I just want one thing -- if a dialogue is voiced for a character, voice the whole thing please. I don't mind if some dialogues are voiced and others aren't, or if some characters are and others are not, but switching back and forth in the same conversation between voiced and unvoiced lines for the same character has been known to really get on my nerves.

Agares #603346 09/05/17 06:24 AM
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Agares

I assume you are referring to the test rewriting some of the indirect dialogue as first person? That was in order to make sure the dialogue fit the personality/race/background of the speaker in first person; it needed to be written for each of the origin characters and the custom characters for each race (and then male and female custom characters would be separate with respect to voice acting, even if there were no differences in any dialogue or default personality/background for each race).

Raze #603348 09/05/17 09:47 AM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

There was never a statement that the game would be fully voiced, that I've seen, or seen mentioned before now.

But there was and I DID see it.
I read Larian themselves answering on Twitter to two youtubers who were doing a playthrough (and "dubbing" the game in real time for laughs) that the final game was going to be fully voiced.

Of course, plans must have changed at some point, since Larian retracted recently.
Not sure why you are acting as if it was some outrageous baseless claim, considering this incidentally is exactly where their recent "We considered it at some point, but we realized it was too much" comes from.

Originally Posted by Jemolk

But then, I view voice acting in games as a luxury

Well, YES, it mostly is. Also, one that can add a lot to the charm and mood of a game if properly done (as it can also detract if done poorly, but they did mostly a great job with the D:OS Enhanced).

Except if they are considering a console release, as they did with the first one.
In that case voice over becomes virtually mandatory.

Then again I'm not sure if the first one sold well enough for them to care about that segment of the market.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/05/17 09:55 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #603352 09/05/17 10:43 AM
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Tuco
I read Larian themselves answering on Twitter

Do you recall when that was? Twitter is having issues, and I can only scroll back 4 days.

Originally Posted by Tuco
Not sure why you are acting as if it was some outrageous baseless claim

I specifically included "that I've seen".
Don't you think confirming the game would be fully voiced would be worth a Kickstarter update, or even a forum post, rather than a tweet and nowhere else? A misunderstanding somewhere seems much more likely.

CamKitty #603803 19/05/17 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by CamKitty

Ha, a person too lazy to read is calling someone else lazy.

cool-dude01 #603848 21/05/17 03:56 AM
W
stranger
stranger
W
In Baldur's Gate - especially the second one and in all the Infinity games for that matter, there were quite a lot of lines that were voiced over. Plus the voice actors were names like Jennifer Hale, Kevin Michael Richardson, Gray DeLisle, Tony jay, etc. Dunno what their budget was and I always like to think, that the main reason for the infinity games not to get more voice work was the size (bad compression mostly) of the games back then.

Now, if Divinity OS2, doesn't get voice overs for the main characters at least it will be quite sad.

Agares #603849 21/05/17 04:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally, if any voice acting happens? I hope it's only for non-party NPCs. Shopkeeps, quest characters, that kinda thing.

But my preference is for voice acting lite, since it's fun to imagine these things for myself.

Last edited by TraceChaos; 21/05/17 04:55 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard