Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
W
Hi, this is my first post here discussing the armor issues of DOS2.

Before playing the game, I have doubt about the armor system because it is a nightmare to balance properly, especially when it comes to physical vs magical damage balance.

After I finally get the chance to play test the game, I actually kind of like the armor system because it does force you to make more choices when it comes to choosing the right skill in comparison to percentage system in DOS1.

Instead of blasting enemies with CC chain, DOS2 makes you think how to effectively remove enemies' armor to make the CC works. Should I focus fire on this one dude standing next to my ranger and CC him, or should I break the little armor on the enemy mage first? Should I use this AOE skill to damage the armor, or should I save it later for AOE CC?

It is a fun system, so I want to find a way to balance it properly, and these are my suggestion:

1. Less total armor
2. More armor regen (from preseverance passive, skills and equipment)
3. Constitution gives a small bonus to armor regen

Explanation:
1. It is easier to break through the armor in a single powerful nuke, or 2-3 average skills. So it would be easier to apply CC.

This would be make mixed physical+magical party feel better because you no longer need to focus fire on physical or magical armor to make CC work.

A mage will feel like a proper mage who could nuke down armors with AOE skills, then apply CC with another skill.

2. Since it becomes easier to apply CC, armor regen is increased. Make it base 40% that can be boosted to 70% with active/passive skills or equipment.

This is to prevent players or enemies to chain CC non-stop after breaking the armor. If you want to CC the same dude again, you have to go through the armor again.

Or, if you want to kill that dude instead of letting him regen massive amount of armor from preseverance passive, just don't CC him and kill him directly.

This also makes skills that penetrate armor more powerful and meaningful. In the current game, those penetration skills are not as good as they should be because CC = death anyway.

3. Constitution gives small bonus to armor regen. Maybe 2% for each point in it.

This is to make constitution a stat that you might want to invest in, but you won't be forced to take. You put the stat point into Str/Fin/Int, and go for high risk, high reward, or play it safe and make yourself more resistant to CC.

These are my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Last edited by waterzxc; 03/05/17 10:05 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hm i only see two problems with this change. How it would interact with the geomancer and hydroponist skills and when these regeneration numbers should kick in.

With hydroponist and geomancer increasing the values of armor regained it could make them alot more powerful than they currently are.

When the numbers kick in is also crucial to note because that completely changes how strong of a change this is. For example if it only kicked in when your armor was depleted it is still possible for you to be perma-cc'ed but if it kicked in every turn for example it might be too good and make you also immune to CC.

p.s. Constitution is bad you aren't alone in saying that

Last edited by Bullethose; 03/05/17 10:12 AM.

Rogues are the best
W
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
W
Thanks for the reply.

I think the armor regen bonus from Geo/ Hydro only apply to active skills? I am not sure whether they work on passive regen from preseverance. If they do improve passive regen and make it too strong, we could just tune down the numbers.

My idea for passive armor regen is just like the current preseverance passive. Instead of starting at 0, everyone gets a 40% armor regen after being CC'ed. The passive regen can be improved by perseverance and constitution, and possibly equipment as well.

With lower total armor, 40% would not mean much unless they put resources to increase the regen.

This would not make anyone completely immune to CC. And if someone wants to perma-CC the enemy, they need to deal with constantly regenerating armor. This would not get rid of perma-CC because it is part of the game, but would make it more difficult to do so.

Last edited by waterzxc; 03/05/17 11:11 AM.
I don't like this idea... I don't think this is the way to fix the CC issue....not that it isn't properly though about, good thinking outside the box....it is just not going to work well in combat mechanism.

Why, because in combat, you'll be choosing among your skill whether you want to use a skill to CC someone and give him a 40% armor bonus or use a skill that doesn't do CC....so basically you get penalize for having a skill that would do CC damage. Instead of being a bonus, it becomes a trade off.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard