Next Thread
Print Thread
#603363 09/05/17 03:53 PM
Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh. My. God.

I just saw the kickstarter update on Game Master mode, and I could not be more excited. I never really thought a tabletop RPG could be fully recreated in video game form, but with a Game Master with all these abilities to manipulate things, I think you've really done it. Oh my god. Please tell me we'll also have the ability to create skills and the like with mods. I all of a sudden want to run The Drow War in D:OS2.

I've been excited for D:OS2 for a while, but haven't been this excited for absolutely anything at all for a very long time.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
"Oh boy oh boy. Do we have a surprise for you."

Holy smokes you were not kidding. My hype level has just gone through the roof. I love the Divinity combat system, and this GM mode seems absolutely incredible. Your game is going be one of those rare gems that comes out once in a blue moon that gets universal critical acclaim and sets the bar for games in the genre.

Lots of hard work left I'm sure, but you are so on the *right* path with this project.

old hand
old hand
Yes it looks good. It will be interesting to see how much you can do ahead of time and if you don't want heavy GM interaction how that plays out. In what was shown it was very controlled scene to scene, which reminds me of the old Vampire Redemption GM mode, it was so GM heavy it was slow paced and pretty much only table top. But I can envision a campaign that could be played out without a GM if one wanted, so when a GM jumps in they can adjust how much they want to do or not. Is that going to be possible? Probably, but I ask. The DnD slant at the end was interesting, signs of things to come?

Last edited by Horrorscope; 10/05/17 02:21 AM.
Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, just watched the stream on the Larian Twitch channel, and it really is as awesome as I thought originally. I'm so excited. This will be probably the only video game I've ever seen that can emulate a tabletop RPG so completely. I'm totally hyped.

stranger
stranger
Watching Matt Mercer on twitch DM a game using Divinity GM tools and gameplay was so badass.
Like I said before, Matt Mercer from Critical Role, Wizards of the Coast allowing LMoP campaign (which I'm currently DMing my self with a small group of friends) and having the hardworking boys from Larian Studios incorporate these things into the next Divinity game which I've been anticipating for a long time?
Its a good time for RPGs!
I feel so inspired I'm going to make a lonewolf honor mode character right now in DOS:EE

old hand
old hand
In the middle of watching it, the issue I have and it is mine... I'll never have a team like that and to be honest I don't think I can do that at that level. Those guys are pro's at least they are to me onlooking. It would be slow and not as smooth in my world. Great for those that want that, but I doubt I'd be able to take advantage of the system like they are. Hopefully there are ways to have the game play more itself with some GM'ing sprinkled in, I can handle that. But yeah you get a group like that, that is willing to put everything into it... aces.

veteran
veteran
Too bad that game mechanics cannot be changed. I really can't see D&D saving throws migrating to the Magic/Physical armor disgrace that is in DOS2.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
In the middle of watching it, the issue I have and it is mine... I'll never have a team like that and to be honest I don't think I can do that at that level. Those guys are pro's at least they are to me onlooking. It would be slow and not as smooth in my world. Great for those that want that, but I doubt I'd be able to take advantage of the system like they are. Hopefully there are ways to have the game play more itself with some GM'ing sprinkled in, I can handle that. But yeah you get a group like that, that is willing to put everything into it... aces.

same here. will most probably never really be able to fully utilize the gm tools (neither as player nor as gm). but i think the gm tools had a positive influence on the overhaul of the modding tools.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
stranger
stranger
In the middle of watching it, the issue I have and it is mine... I'll never have a team like that and to be honest I don't think I can do that at that level. Those guys are pro's at least they are to me onlooking.

That's a common fear a lot of new DM's and players have. Or they say, "I wish my table was as good as those guys!" Have you played D&D before? I remember that's how I felt before I started playing. Which is okay because they are great and you want to live up to the best out there right? but those guys are pro's. You can't expect to dunk if you can't even dribble. They voice act for a living, Matt Mercer, the GM, has been voice acting and running D&D games for decades, that's probably why Larian asked him for help showing of their new feature in DOS2.
But let me tell you and anyone else that is worried about those things! You don't need voice actors or die hard roleplayers for you to have fun.

I just recently started DMing a D&D starter edition, LMoP (Lost Mines of Phandelver) with my family and close friends and they love it. We've been playing a few months now and they've really grown into it. My wife, who never watched Lord of the Rings, didn't even know how to say "Mage" or anything (she has no role playing or fantasy interest at all) is probably the best one at the table. She just nails her neutral halfling rogue spot on because she has no idea what shes doing, so she just does what she thinks is fun and interesting without doing a thick Scottish accent or anything. Basically when you have no humility and focus on having fun, it brings the best out in you, and everyone else's character by doing so, its contagious.

Although this project was just announced and it is still in alpha, I can see there are a lot of advantages to roleplaying through a video game like DOS2 than using a warmap and minatures and mostly imagination like D&D. So you can use the visual tools, and amazing looking DM tools to tell your story and interact with your players to help them along, which is the advantage of playing through a video game. You don't even need to voice act or do anything special, because its already through an amazing game that the players can interact with while you are behind the curtain.

For example, when I played DOS before the voice acting was introduced in the enhanced edition, the 2 guards you meet at the bridge in the start, they were memorable characters to me. They were drunk, one was giving the other one a hard time, Bibius! They think you're orcs because they are so wasted, and you can either follow them or attack them. Its a good example of choices. But with the GM tools you can even add other things that only the players will come up with, which is really cool to me. Anyway, there was no drunken slur or voice acting preformed, but its still a funny yet great example of a good quest to introduce the Orc storyline a bit, and most players that have fun, will remember things like that.

I'm rambling but I don't think you or anyone should set themselves up to fail or reach such high standards and expectations. Especially when you need to find your own group on the internets. If you are interested in being a DM, first focus on a good campaign/ story, and the good players will come. Have fun, and the memorable moments will happen. Like "goober" the pig and the dwarf summoning him to help him in the final battle from Matt's Twitch stream.. My advice would be learn more about D&D and what it takes to be a dungeon master. Then when you have the tools in DOS2 on top of it, it'll probably feel like a gift.

Anyone new to role playing or DMing, I would have to suggest to check out Matt Mercers youtube channel where he goes over GM tips. Its more towards tabletop gaming, but a lot of it still applies to any role playing. Also Matthew Colville has a great channel for new DMs.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Woo Woo Woo! It seems you really got it, nailed it! I am impressed.

Although you probably didn't follow particular my former posts and suggestions and you certainly didn't follow especially my dreams and not outspoken wishes, it looks like you still have done it.

Congratulations Larian to put visions into practice.

Can't wait to play the GM Mode and complain about its flaws :P

old hand
old hand

To add to what Nokturnal1 said, I would expect expect a number of modules that are designed to be playable in single player but can be GMed as well will help find a middle ground between a GM having to do virtually everything (except combat) and not needing a GM at all. This is assuming that basically everything in the GM mode, like vignettes, can be added to a single player / GMless module as well, and those vignettes can be automatically triggered at certain points. In this case, you could sprinkle in GMing while the prepared module does the heavy lifting. Properly done, this could make for an extremely smooth and compelling experience.

Larian is standing on a MASSIVE opportunity to integrate video games and roleplaying, so let's hope they make the tool both as versatile and new GM friendly as possible. It's also even more important that they really get the combat fun and dynamic, or else much of the value of the GM system through D:OS will be lost.

journeyman
journeyman
IMHO they've gone nuts. I mean it's an freaking Stretchgoal.

I know alot of People claim about their "right" with the "Money" and will argue: "This has to be expected" - or "it should be like that", but NORMALLY - Stretchgoals aren't that impressive. It's often more an small Cake to appeal the Crowd to support/finance their Product, and meanwhile i don't wanna claim that is everytime an bad nor good thing, most time this Features are often small-side things which might like, but aren't as big/fleshed out as you expected. Often because this Features aren't intendet to begin with and so they ends as "side-feature"...

And thats actually sad, but also Insane thing. Some Games already tried to deliever the Pen & Paper Feeling, and most failed; as example Sword Coast Legends was centered around this WHOLE Pen & Paper aspect, but they failed(thought i still enjoyed the Game somewhat - in the other Hand i've gotten it on PS4 Sale for 7 Bucks). And Larian do the MAGIC with an Sidething.

Now you've really impressed me again Larian, but i also tend to believe, this Game Master Mode "really" was "intended" to begin with, but needed the Financial Support to also deliever that. You are really the Prime Example how Kickstarter should be handled!

I mean - even thought i myself never played Pen & Paper, i admired it since a long time. It's the Core and Origin of one of my most Loved Genre's (RPG's) in Videogames - and to find an example who reintroduce it in Videogames is an amazing but also impressive work(and yeah - i know Neverwinter Nights was also one of the good examples). I don't know how often i will actually use this Feature, thought i and my friends surely will give it a try, but that doesn't change how much Value it adds to the Game. Yet you have besides an (hopefully) amazing Campaign(EA Version is already promising - love the game so far) which can be played Solo and Co-op, an Promising PvP Arena(which i actually never dreamed of) and Editor, also an GM Mode which adds even MORE Replaybility. Amazing!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd say you nailed it LightningYu. I couldn't believe that this level of effort was put into the last stretch goal.
I was following this game thinking I'd never try whatever minimal GM mode was added on, but they have really outdone themselves and I am excited to try my hand at it once it is released.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Baardvark

To add to what Nokturnal1 said, I would expect expect a number of modules that are designed to be playable in single player but can be GMed as well will help find a middle ground between a GM having to do virtually everything (except combat) and not needing a GM at all. This is assuming that basically everything in the GM mode, like vignettes, can be added to a single player / GMless module as well, and those vignettes can be automatically triggered at certain points. In this case, you could sprinkle in GMing while the prepared module does the heavy lifting. Properly done, this could make for an extremely smooth and compelling experience.

Agreed, That is what I would need, it isn't just talent to do it, there is a lot of time involved and gathering a group and everyone being dedicated to this to a certain level. If they can have it standalone and then GM as much as you want or don't want, now I can see using that for certain, that is more my hope. But if not, this isn't about me, this will satisfy many that have been long waiting for something like this, good for them! To switch gears another game that is doing this but in a whole different genre and maybe more my style is Star Trek Bridge Commander, that will take serious coordination between members, but also may be much more linear and focused as no one just wanders away, you are locked to your station. But really seems similar overall in terms of working as a team verbally and in action.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 11/05/17 11:18 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
"You've done the impossible"

Indeed.
The editor, modding tools and GM mode combined are as far as I can tell a more powerful combination of the NwN toolset en SwordCoast Legends GM client combined.
I cant wait to start building, and GMing, my own custom campaign.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
Yep, it looks fantastic so far. Looking forward to release.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard