Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
journeyman
@Stabbey:
Thank you that you did take your time, but i still have to disagree with you. I understand where you come from, but you still overlook some pretty important Points.

1. This Scenario haven't anything to do with our World, its an freaking Fantasy-World. While an Gun in our World could kill anyone, in an Fantasy-World there is something like Power-Scale. That's as example, what Level is for, to show you the immense difference about strenght. This Scale is nowhere what we have in our World. Yeah, if you fight against an experienced fighter, you most likely lose, but this isn't comparable with an Fantasy World, where normal Civils are as weak as us, up to Heroes who even can slay Dragon, which is in our World quite impossible. My Comparison with Police-man wasn't related to anything to Divinity, i only wanted to point out how nonsene i found your Complaining.

2. So if we would have an proper example, and i pick you up, the way how Divinity OS2 works would be Similiar(not exactly the same, but to put an clear reference) - if the Guards, who look out for the Prisoners with their AK's in the Bus, are Superhuman like Superman. They might have an AK - but there is noway to kill this Superhuman unless they have Kryptonite, which would be in the Case of Divinity Original Sin 2 would be the source-magic. This is the ONLY real dangerous aspect for the Magister.

3. Yet you might argue with this "but you can kill the Magister on the Ship". True, but you shouldn't forget two important Points. It's pretty common for Videogames that Gameplay is often more important than Story/Lore. What i mean, look as example World of Warcraft. It is an World which is build around mortalitality, look at how fast people died in Legion. Then watch when you play how you are again, overpowered, can't really die and so on and so on. If we go down this road, which you imply, than Divinity have way more problems than this Weapon-Carry aspect on Island or Ship, because than it would mean that almost everything should onshot you. Like someone would be still alive if he gets backstabbed.

4. Secondly you look at this whole topic with the eyes of an Player, not as someone who lifes in this World. If the percentage is 0,01% is, that someone carry an Kryptonite-Ammo for their AK-47, than mostly due its almost impossible for you to get hurt, you wouldn't care about AK-47 as an Superhuman.

You look at this whole aspect as Player, who is one of the 0,01% who theoretically COULD rebel to take the Magister out and take their ship. That alone doesn't mean that in GENERAL the Sourcere in this World have enough strenght to take an Magister out. YOu again, ignore the powerscale. As example: Do you really think i would fear an Six-Year Old Child who tries to kill me with an rolled newspaper? It could gets on my nerves, okay, but no real reason to be scared of people who carry an Newspaper. Thats the difference between the Prisoners and Magister... except, that there is this 0,01% this one Kids with his Friends is unique and can kill me due special abilities...

However like i said, i still where you come from, i won't argue with you anyfurther, we simply don't share the same opinion on this matter...

@Flufflington:
I wont argue about the other aspects, but about the Wendigo thing, you shouldn't forget it's simply her Source-Power who was that strong, that doesn't mean that she itself is that strong as well. If i would 've the ability to go off like an nuklear-bomb, it doesn't mean i can handly Weapons or are strong to begin with. It simply means that i'm as dangerous as an Nuklear-Bomb if the right requirements are met... Yet you might argue about she simply could cast another of this Source-Spells, but if you look at how things went, it was pretty ineffective for the Protagonist and the Companions.

But now i'm really done for here. Thanks for reading. Still have fun with the Game...

Last edited by LightningYu; 26/05/17 03:03 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Decay should not harm Zombies who receive healing from poison. The debuff clearly says "Healing", not POISON.

What? NO! Reversing Regen like that is one of the great uses of Touch of Decay.

Poison HEALS the Zombie, it is hurting from that.

Does something absorb Fire? Touch of Decay, now fire damages it.

why do potions STILL hurt zombies? They have nothing to do with magical "Healing Magic" or "Holy Power".

I dunno you cure a walking corpse of being a zombie and see how healthy it is.

Last edited by Neonivek; 26/05/17 03:12 AM.
veteran
veteran
"It's a fantasy world" does not mean people in the world should act illogically. They should do things which make sense according to the rules of the world. Letting prisoners keep weapons is not a thing which makes sense according to the rules of the DOS 2 world.

The Magisters are rounding up all Sourcerors and taking them to Fort Joy, whether or not they want to go. It is not an optional thing they can turn down. They are taking them by force to the island, and the goal is to not let them escape. Once they are collared and on the island, it's less of an issue.

Letting the prisoners keep weapons does not help the Magisters with their goal of getting all the unwilling Sourcerors to the island. It puts the goal at risk by making it easier for the prisoners to revolt and possibly overpower the guards, then seize control of the ship and take it away from the island to elsewhere. Magisters would consider that a Very Bad Outcome.

Because letting the prisoners keep their weapons is Not Helpful and can lead to a Very Bad Outcome, by the logic of in-game characters, it makes no sense.

As for Wendigo's power... if you look at the characters, she is level 5, all the Magisters are level 1. In terms of gameplay, it's not terribly unreasonable for a level 5 character to overpower a large number of level 1 characters. When you meet her later, you are probably level 4 or 5, and she is level 5.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I really like the adition of the ship area
now u can get lvl 2 by doing ship + 2 voidlings at the beach + the zombie in the grave

the new placement on ur teammates is interesting
i mean sebille is stalking into the kitchen area
but if u speak to her she still has the dialoge about stalking stingtail
also she kinda acts like she never saw me before even tho she licked my arm (played lohse) at the ship

ifan helping the elf with the 2 thugs is kinda nice since u can side with him and get them to run off without the outlaw trade telling them the elf is a known assassin

dunno if lohse changed played as her

why was the suicide part or the red prince changed with only watching the see cause reasons

did they somehow change the pickpocket / crime system again?
i stole 1 damn skillbook and instantly used it
then i got called out with the search/refuse option
i let them search cause i dont have ANY stolen item on me or my companions
they search and find nothing
hurr durr ur still suspicious
persuation time
fail
chose between prison or atack

so i can see why they want to search me
they didnt see me steal and they are missing stuff
so i obviously could be the thief
they can search me without resistance and they dont find anything stolen (not from them not from others)
why would they still go "well ur clearly not the thief but im still going after u till u kill me or go to prison"

on coop i stole an apple and my mate got called out
he let them search cause he clearly did nothing
and they still "found" shit on him
like how? can they see in his mind that i took an apple from someone and its in my pocket?

for now the stealing option seems useless as fuck i mean i can never go for the let them search cause it does not matter if i actually have stolen shit or not on me

while on that topic will u ever change that u can transfer items from player to player even if u ware a whole island away from eachother?
i mean im in prison underground my mate is on the beach at the start
can send me a lockpick so i can get out
could send me his entire inventory if hed liked to

had my save on ea 4 before so this could be a change from ea 5
but why are all the movement books gone? no tactical retreat no cloak and dagger rouge invis is also gone but polymorph invis is new and totally okay?

does anyone know who or if someone sells books for summoning and poly?

Immersion? Well, okay then. Discarding fantasy level-based logic (which is neither logical or immersive)...

Is it silly to have a weapon strapped to your back while lying on the table? Yes, but only because that would hurt your back. The same thing happens when characters of any sort sleep on beds/bedrolls/etc though, so we can safely suppose that people in the Divinity setting have extraordinarily well-padded vertebrae and don't mind lying on such things.

The ship isn't comparable to a modern prison bus and it's only somewhat comparable to a prison ship. That the magisters are really only concerned about Source is established early on - Source calls up Voidwoken. Swords don't. With the collars on that danger is gone. Beyond this we have the prisoners wandering more or less freely around the ship, including one acting as a 'cook', with resulting access to various sharp and pointy things (as well as various means of setting people and/or the ship on fire). To say nothing of how easily the assorted crates, beams, barrels, braces, bottles and other glass, metal, and wooden paraphernalia could be turned into weapons on short notice if someone wanted to. And there's the fact that even without source or weapons anyone with a lick of non-Source magical talent could wreak all kinds of havoc if they were inclined. So no, someone carrying a stick isn't likely to stand out as abnormally dangerous, especially since - once again - those don't call up Voidwoken. Despite this relative lack of internal security, the Magisters are clearly in control of things and remain so until someone's collar comes off.

And I would personally find it immersion breaking that - despite the ready-made weapon materials lying around everywhere - your character is magically without and unable to create or obtain even the most improvised of Wimpy McStarter weapons until they suddenly need one (the abovementioned collar-off incident), whereupon presto! - a crate of them just happens to be right when and where the PC needs it! Umm, yeah. Immersive that is not.

Now, I will admit that I haven't fiddled with the new patch enough to meet Little Miss Collar-Off again, so I can only go by what has been written here about the fight, but one could reasonably suppose that she simply hasn't had the chance to store up enough Source to pull a trick like that a second time. After all, people keep complaining about the lack of source point availability on the island - why shouldn't she be having the same problem as you are?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
What's happened to crafting, I can't make arrowheads from potions and yarrow flowers don't work either?

Edit. I've figured out the yarrow flowers but it would be good to be able to craft arrows.

Last edited by Lostsheep; 26/05/17 02:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NeutroniumDragon
The ship isn't comparable to a modern prison bus and it's only somewhat comparable to a prison ship. That the magisters are really only concerned about Source is established early on - Source calls up Voidwoken. Swords don't.

Magisters are concerned with Sourcerors being allowed to roam free attracting Voidwoken which causes chaos. That is the entire point why they are all being forcibly rounded up. To get them to the island away from everyone else.

Allowing prisoners on the ship to have weapons does nothing to help the Magisters get the prisoners to the island, and poses a risk to getting prisoners to the island. Therefore, allowing prisoners on the ship to have weapons has no justification.

Magisters might pretend for the sake of appearances that the prisoners are not really prisoners, but they are.

And I would personally find it immersion breaking that - despite the ready-made weapon materials lying around everywhere - your character is magically without and unable to create or obtain even the most improvised of Wimpy McStarter weapons until they suddenly need one (the abovementioned collar-off incident), whereupon presto! - a crate of them just happens to be right when and where the PC needs it! Umm, yeah. Immersive that is not.

What, so for you, Magisters keeping a chest full of confiscated items/weapons in the back room away from prisoners makes less sense than letting prisoners walk around armed?

Last edited by Stabbey; 26/05/17 02:38 PM. Reason: i should tone things down
Lar Offline
journeyman
journeyman
You're seeing the development process live with early access so inconsistencies happen as a result of the creative process which involves a lot of iteration. They are indeed not supposed to be treated as prisoners at that stage - though for all practical purposes they are. In subsequent updates you shouldn't find the word prisoner anymore.

As for the weapons - we are still debating that. We know it is an inconsistency but it breaks the tutorial flow if we get you to the equipment screen too fast.

Where stands it written that I have to be fair?
R
stranger
stranger
R
[SPOILERS FOR END OF ACT 1]

After I finished with the floating boat in Hall of Heroes, Malady casts a spell and lifts the boat out of the Hall, the game abruptly ended. Didn't the patch note say '2 more regions added'?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Robert Pendragon
[SPOILERS FOR END OF ACT 1]

After I finished with the floating boat in Hall of Heroes, Malady casts a spell and lifts the boat out of the Hall, the game abruptly ended. Didn't the patch note say '2 more regions added'?

The first new region was the tutorial area before you get onto Fort Joy Island

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar
You're seeing the development process live with early access so inconsistencies happen as a result of the creative process which involves a lot of iteration. They are indeed not supposed to be treated as prisoners at that stage - though for all practical purposes they are. In subsequent updates you shouldn't find the word prisoner anymore.

As for the weapons - we are still debating that. We know it is an inconsistency but it breaks the tutorial flow if we get you to the equipment screen too fast.

Yes, I am aware that it's in beta and not final. But with only one more patch before the final release, the earlier I mention stuff, the better. (Mentioning other things like "do not make Zombie the Undead Racial Talent" early is also a good idea.)

Right now you can get to the equipment screen immediately. I think a chest past the cutscene called "Confiscated Items" which contains all the starting equipment for your chosen class would be a pretty logical addition.

The trouble of course is the four-player co-op. I know instanced loot is not a thing in the game, and even if it is possible, adding it just for that one thing might be too much work. Possibly 4 chests, and the others are empty if there are no human players. I'm not sure the best way to prevent one person from looting all four of them for themselves, though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't think having weapons available for such a short tutorial is a big deal.
You can certainly argue it makes more sense for roleplaying to not have them, but mechanically having each character start with their desired weapon is a lot more convenient and practical.
Taking the weapons away also reduces player choice, as you won't have the choice of fighting the guards if you're unarmed.

Also, I'm still seeing several bugs this patch (mostly in multiplayer), such as bugged opportunity strikes, de-sync issues where we have to save and reload, abilities consuming cooldowns with no effects, and others.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Fluffington

- Magisters having a mind link on par with the PROTOSS. If I kill one of them behind closes doors, that should NOT mean every last member on the ship suddenly has a strange desire to rip my spinal cord out with their BARE HANDS. BUT SURE, OKAY?

This is a generic behaviour of the combat system: NPCs within X metres (I don't know the exact amount) always join combat when an allied NPC is attacked regardless of line-of-sight or hearing. I've heard this is to avoid a rock or a tree blocking nearby enemies from joining a combat. You are right it makes little sense in an environment like this, but it's apparently not that easy to fix.

- Why do townsfolk still try to kill you when they are several levels below you, have not been attacked and have no reason to attack you?

One reason could be that they walked through a surface that you cast.

-Wendigo literally one-shots every magister on the ship when you first meet her, but the next time you see each other she uses nothing but flasks and her weapon. Okay?

She tries to cast powerful spells while walking around on the beach before you talk to her, but they all fail and I think she's asking her god why he deserted her. I believe the idea is that she lost her power because she failed in her mission to assassinate you on the ship. If that is not clear from her dialogs (while she's walking around and next when you talk to her), her lines may still have to be refined following the addition of the ship level.

- There are STILL weapons that are flat out terrible, regardless of build. "Sure, let me slap on that greatsword with +5 int that ALSO has a 14 STR requirement. On my mage. Melee mage?"

Well, there is a preset called battle mage smile

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Originally Posted by Fluffington

- Magisters having a mind link on par with the PROTOSS. If I kill one of them behind closes doors, that should NOT mean every last member on the ship suddenly has a strange desire to rip my spinal cord out with their BARE HANDS. BUT SURE, OKAY?

This is a generic behaviour of the combat system [snip]

Sorry, I read your original comment too quickly. That only explains nearby magisters (even behind closed doors) joining a combat when you attack one of them. It does not explain why all of them all over the ship would become hostile to you.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A

This preset should have a staff as default weapon to be a viable choice. Makes no sense to use sword. Anyway, the most useless gear I saw were STR-based armor pieces with +FIN and vice versa. There's no build where it'd be beneficial. Not that +5 INT sword is much better...

Those cross-stats still provide some benefit (Dodge from Finesse, etc) even if the build isn't using it directly, and a Str-based character may still want to equip a ranged weapon from time to time (or may be a polymorph type, where Str and Fin both have uses).

No, it isn't necessarily optimal for everyone, but there's a large span between optimal and useless. Useless would be something like +1 Dual Wield on a two-handed weapon; I'd agree that the system should avoid generating those combinations.

Last edited by NeutroniumDragon; 28/05/17 12:42 PM.
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Originally Posted by Alanta

This preset should have a staff as default weapon to be a viable choice. Makes no sense to use sword. Anyway, the most useless gear I saw were STR-based armor pieces with +FIN and vice versa. There's no build where it'd be beneficial. Not that +5 INT sword is much better...

To be honest, this is the only hybrid preset that I actually uses in almost all of my playthrough. Two reasons:

1. The fighter and knight preset are terrible. Contamination is suicide bomb that does not kill enemies. Rage is not strong enough to cost 2AP.

2. Although I don't put points into int for the battlemage. The CC still works 100% if you have another mage to burst through magic armor.

Being a hybrid, the battlemage has trouble standing on his own with stat spread thin. So I build him like a normal warfare fighter (with STR), but start with 2 magic CC skills.

Last edited by waterzxc; 28/05/17 01:21 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Funnily enough i do the same kind of things withmy ranger getting summoning and aeotherge not levelling int once.

Rogues are the best
P
stranger
stranger
P
There is a thing I am wondering about... Am I the only one who is kind of uncomfortable with character's replies in dialoges? Whenever I saw an in game dialogue there were no exact lines, but rather a summary of what the character said. Is it just because the game is still in development and dialogues will be corrected later? Or that is how it is going to be in the final game? Anyone knows?

veteran
veteran
That's how it will be in the final game. It would be too much work writing thousands and thousands of lines for each origin character.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard