Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#604522 31/05/17 02:16 AM
error3 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I decided to test the potency of combining the Rain spell with Air damage and thought I'd share my experience on the powerful synergy between them.

With a little setup, the combo is incredibly potent.
I was able to solo the entire fight with Dallas/Alexander at level 3 using just Rain and an Air staff.
Essentially any number of enemies of almost any power level can easily be dealt with, even if their Magic Armor is quite high.

The basic idea is that when a puddle is electrified, every character inside will take air damage every round the water remains charged and with every step in it they take. Enemies with no Magic Armor will also become stunned. Once every enemy in the puddle is out of Magic Armor, you've won the fight as they will continue to be stunned until they die (as long as you re-charge the puddle every 2 rounds).

This is a naturally effective combo, but due to a few subtle interactions, it can be much more powerful.

1. Rain is not considered to be an offensive spell, so casting it will not lower attitude or start combat with NPCs. This means it is easy to setup Rain before a fight. Note, this contrasts with almost every other debuff spell. For instance, if you setup oil and an ally walks in it you will lose 20 attitude and they may become hostile, but never with Rain.
Edit: The "friendly" fire slug will become hostile when Rain is cast on it.
2. A wet surface will never naturally expire. When combined with #1, this means you can coat an entire area with Rain before a fight, and because the AoE is so large you can even coat the whole area surrounding enemies without entering combat.
3. Pools are supposed to de-charge after 2 rounds. This means enemies will eventually have a chance to break free. However, when a very large area with numerous enemies is charged a bug will often occur where only part of the area de-charges and the other still-charged part will re-charge the entire thing. This essentially adds an unlimited duration to your stun puddle.
4. Enemies attempting to walk through charged water will take air damage and face a stun status with every step. This means after walking any significant distance enemies will lose all of their magic armor and just sit stunned until their deaths.
5. Due to the damage from #4, AI kicks in and enemies will opt to NOT chase you (to avoid the damage they would take from moving through the pool). However, due to the bug in #3 along with the player re-charging the water, the pool never de-charges and enemies who could have chased down the player or simply walked out of the water will instead stay in place and eventually die.

With rain and air damage, you can weather any storm. Before charging in, paint the area covering and surrounding your opponents with Rain. Enemies will be stunned by your brilliance. It's shockingly easy and effective!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by error3; 31/05/17 06:55 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by error3
With rain and air damage, you can weather any storm. Before charging in, paint the area covering and surrounding your opponents with Rain. Enemies will be stunned by your brilliance. It's shockingly easy and effective!

Give this man a cookie.

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
It's all fun and game until someone bleeds a lot/ cast blood rain and spread the electricity to your team.

Btw, did you fight Dallia/ Alexander when you got to Fort Joy Entrance the first time? Would this break the story? Or is this one of the intended deviations allowed by the story?

Last edited by waterzxc; 31/05/17 04:54 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you fight Dallis/Alexander on the first encounter, they just teleport away when their health gets low enough.

It's pretty feasible by blocking Dallis out near the gate (with other enemies, pools of static water, etc.) and getting Alexander low, since Dallis can easily one-shot your team.

Last edited by LaughingLeader; 31/05/17 05:48 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I'd like to see a video of this. They have pretty high magic armor and I can't see walking through an electrified puddle as breaking it. Also Alexander can definitely 1 shot a level 3 with any of his skills (which he doesn't have to move to cast) so, I'm intrigued to say the least.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I actually just killed Windego on the ship with the rain/lightning method, haha.

For some reason, while everyone on the ship got into combat with us, she didn't, so I just had to wait while the static water ticked down her magic armor and health. Being in combat, with her not being in combat, meant I could just wait without ending my turn, and the static water never went away.

Note that killing Windego seems to softlock your progress, because you can't go up the stairs (they're barricaded).

[Linked Image]

The way I did this is by covering everything in water but that tiny corner in the greasy key room, and then hitting the level 10 door with electric discharge, which electrified the water on the other side of the door.

If I had brought a fire element weapon (via a different preset than the ones I picked), I could've probably gotten rid of the water in the greasy key room.

I made two custom characters with Hydro/Aero, and Aero/Polymorph, pumping all stat points into Wits, with Rain/Electric Discharge/Shocking Touch, and Electric Discharge/Blinding Radiance/Chameleon Cloak (Blinding Radiance could be swapped out for Shocking Touch, for another way to electrify the water). I use the Aero/Poly character to trigger the water after my Rain character is in a good hiding place, since he's got Chameleon Cloak to hide if he gets stuck within the enemy's vision cone.

The magisters near Windigo acted pretty silly. Once we started electrifying the door, they ran to the other side of the door to investigate. When they were finally pulled into combat, they attacked the door until they died. My character with rain never actually got pulled into combat until near the end, when the NPCs in the center of the ship got hit with the rain/electricity combo (once Windigo died, I started to hit the other areas of the ship with rain, since they were all in combat anyway).

G
addict
addict
G
hh, looking forward for all 200 spells from full game and crazy OP combinations .

error3 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Damon
I'd like to see a video of this. They have pretty high magic armor and I can't see walking through an electrified puddle as breaking it. Also Alexander can definitely 1 shot a level 3 with any of his skills (which he doesn't have to move to cast) so, I'm intrigued to say the least.

It's because of the #5 item I listed.
Once enemies in electricity decide that attempting to move out will cause more damage than waiting for the water to de-charge then they will stand in place until they die.

I just coated the entire area around the fight with water and got up on the wall out of their range.
I then charged the pool and the AI decided that they would take more damage to chase me than to just wait. For the few enemies who decided to run out I either used teleport to place them into the center of the water or rained on them again. With the way I setup the fight, enemies who left the water couldn't reach me without re-rentering, so I had all the time I needed to teleport them back in or Rain them.

The damage actually ramps up pretty quick. Any amount of moving through the water pops them repeatedly, and Aerothurge increases the shock damage against the magic armor.
It was actually faster to kill them like this than with several other methods I've tried. The pool hits every enemy and they skip their turns too.

Originally Posted by waterzxc
It's all fun and game until someone bleeds a lot/ cast blood rain and spread the electricity to your team.

Great point. You have to be careful. Picking up a stun-immune piece of equipment later on would help a ton.

Originally Posted by LaughingLeader
I actually just killed Windego on the ship with the rain/lightning method, haha.

Thanks for the write-up, I was curious what would happen if she was killed, now I know not to invest the time.
Glad you enjoyed the technique.

Last edited by error3; 31/05/17 06:10 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Pity this can't be used to kill Dallis and her ally in the Lady Vengeance fight. I'd love to see what happens.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard