Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
To change loot modifiers, you open the deltamodifier.txt file in the stats folder. You'll want to search for stuff like:

new deltamod "Boost_Weapon_Primary_Finesse"
param "BoostType" "Primary"
param "MinLevel" "1"
param "MaxLevel" "6"
param "ModifierType" "Weapon"
new boost "_Boost_Weapon_Primary_Finesse",1

The thing is, if you delete that I think you won't find finesse on any weapon. So instead you want to add a weapon type like:

param "WeaponType" "Knife" // dagger = knife

Then copy that for each additional weapon type. As you can see, it takes some work. I'm not sure if that's the only finesse modifier either.

I think I'll just make creative burden take on statuses for 2 turns. Then it will really be a decision, since you're going to deal with some CC no matter what (unless you can remove it with another char). Except it might still synergize with earworm a bit too well (unless creative burden ignores the immunity, I'll have to check that.)

Thought about making hard cc count as 2 statuses for feedback. This kind of makes sense for enemies too, since removing cc on them is usually a tradeoff as well. But it does a good amount of damage, and it's piercing. Dunno, it's tough. I might make feedback do some magic armor damage and reduce its piercing damage as well.

I think for Dance of the Elements I'll check if a character has a status like burning, chilled, poisoned, or stunned, then check the surface type, and apply the appropriate vulnerability. Otherwise, it will apply a random one.

Glad this freshens the game up again.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Baardvark
WOOT, got the lute weapon working. I had tried making the lute weapon it a few times, finally got it. It's a bit silly because you just whack enemies with it like a club, but hey, it's still awesome :P

Expect instruments (well, lutes at least) next version!

up groovy up

D:OS is classless, so I don't want to make bards feel completely isolated. Bards are often melee fighters, rogueish types, and rangers in other games too. But I might make instruments so cool nobody will want to make a bard hybrid anyway (except, perhaps, DWing a lute and an axe.)

Well true, of course. Because they are also some kind of fighters in other games i suggested this approach - so its a novelty. Anyway, I meant the build like that just for starters. Later on the players can mix and match as they like.

Although... lutes and other instruments should be two handed weapons of mass entertainment.

Its like you cant backstab or use many of scoundrel abilities and skills if you dont have knives equipped.

But i guess banging someone over the head with a lute or a flute is also cool.

Also, since we can choose the music tone between four instruments in the character creation... could those be used as music tunes for the bard spells? So some kind of tune can be actually heard... or would that be too repetitive?

Just a thought.

tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I like some changes in this mod. Racial skills should be something that remain useful throughout the game and synergize with every classes.

cant say the same for current ones in vanilla version, the racial skills forced you into playing one specific type of class or else let it gather dust on the skill panel : /

I hope your mod reach devs attention : )

N
old hand
old hand
N
I admit, though I haven't downloaded the mod yet, I am astonished that so far you avoided the outright brokenness that the other versions of the Bard have had.

"4 ap permanent buff that heals you to full!"
"Leadership is now map wide!"

I am glad you are taking the balance of the bard into consideration.

Major Status changes: Knockdown and stunned now do not completely disable a character, but are still hugely debilitating.

Everyone has their "This should be in the game" and this is definitely mine (or at LEAST electrified water and ice shouldn't be able to induce it).

Last edited by Neonivek; 05/06/17 12:32 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Also, since we can choose the music tone between four instruments in the character creation... could those be used as music tunes for the bard spells? So some kind of tune can be actually heard... or would that be too repetitive?

Not sure if I can tap into those sound effects, but I'll look into it. Custom sound effects would really help polish the mod.

Originally Posted by tee
I like some changes in this mod. Racial skills should be something that remain useful throughout the game and synergize with every classes.

cant say the same for current ones in vanilla version, the racial skills forced you into playing one specific type of class or else let it gather dust on the skill panel : /

I hope your mod reach devs attention : )

Yup, I want globally, permanently useful racials. I may have to make the human tactics skill scale its initiative bonus/malus though. Hope Larian likes my mod too :P

Originally Posted by Neonivek
I admit, though I haven't downloaded the mod yet, I am astonished that so far you avoided the outright brokenness that the other versions of the Bard have had.

"4 ap permanent buff that heals you to full!"
"Leadership is now map wide!"

I am glad you are taking the balance of the bard into consideration.

Major Status changes: Knockdown and stunned now do not completely disable a character, but are still hugely debilitating.

Everyone has their "This should be in the game" and this is definitely mine (or at LEAST electrified water and ice shouldn't be able to induce it).

Balance is important to me, though I do want to emphasize the fun and cool factor of skills over meticulous balancing. Still, I must unfortunately say I'll probably be nerfing multiple skills next patch (Sound wave and swindle especially). Instruments should make up for that. Got some real cool stuff!

I'm glad the CC changes have gone over well. I'm not even sure if I really need to hit every hard CC effect now that the stun and knockdown-fest isn't so awful.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Yup, I want globally, permanently useful racials. I may have to make the human tactics skill scale its initiative bonus/malus though. Hope Larian likes my mod too :P

Does human encourage currently scale with levels? It'd be half decent if it did.

Originally Posted by Neonivek

I'm glad the CC changes have gone over well. I'm not even sure if I really need to hit every hard CC effect now that the stun and knockdown-fest isn't so awful.

Here's hoping the devs actually read this topic and do include CC changes in the vanilla game.

You might want to look at freeze and charm too but other hard CC, I think, are fine.

Are you planning any balancing changes for non-bard skills? If yes, Adrenaline+Skin Graft+Adrenaline is currently the worst offender.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm not going to balance any other individual non-bard skills. Too likely it will all change. Avoid super OP combos for now (and honestly rogues are just ridiculous in general.)

old hand
old hand
Could i take your mod and edit the usual preset builds myself? Ive just come up with redesign for them and would love to have them in the game, especially if devs dont change the ones that are there now.

And how hard is it to edit the origin character builds?
Or do they just take on the usual character builds so, for example, if im starting with a custom build, all origin characters will have the usual presets as they are?

Which means if i change the presets, those changes will be applied to the origin characters?

Im asking because in that case i need to make specific origin characters presets, so they are slightly different then the normal ones.

-Flesh Sacrifice now reduces damage by 15% rather than increasing it by 10%. Use it more for utility rather than extra attacks.

I dont know... i think the damage should stay but maybe resistances and both armors should drop for some amount for two turns.

I like my damage with Sebille...

-
Also, how about you make me a file/mod with my builds presets and i make you icons for bard skills?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Sure you can edit my stuff however you want. The origin character builds mostly take from the general class presets, but there's a few things in a separate file (like designating race, gender, not being able to edit tags, etc.) Starting skills and equipment for each of preset are in Skillset.txt and equipment.txt respectively, in the public/shared/stats/generated folder.

I'm not so sure about my flesh sacrifice change either. I don't want to make it too similar to Shed Skin with a resistance malus, but if it dropped armor also that could be interesting (though doesn't really make sense). Perhaps if it reduced piercing resistance by 25% it would make the constitution loss a bit more threatening - except not too many enemies deal piercing damage.

Sent you a PM about your offer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Has anybody tried killing Dallis at the first encounter with this mod installed? I think there may be a bug as a consequence of there being no knockdown now - When Dallis goes to leave, she casts the spell, but then proceeds to just come after you instead. Kind of scary, because she gets the invincible status the first time she does it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm not so sure about my flesh sacrifice change either.

How about flesh sacrifice causing bleeding? It would fit with the pool of blood appearing underneath.

journeyman
journeyman
I really like most things except this:

Flesh Sacrifice now reduces damage by 15% rather than increasing it by 10%. Use it more for utility rather than extra attacks.

I think it's very unnecessary considering how you've already chosen not to include any additional skills for elf especially when you consider that encourage essentially adds +5% damage to everyone affected by it. I think your bias here is unfounded and unfair.

I would respectfully ask you to restore the original 10% damage increase because it's perfectly balanced with other class traits imo.

Last edited by RKane; 05/06/17 10:37 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by LaughingLeader
I'm not so sure about my flesh sacrifice change either.

How about flesh sacrifice causing bleeding? It would fit with the pool of blood appearing underneath.

Bleeding would be a good tradeoff, maybe.

What if the character has leech talent though? smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hiver
What if the character has leech talent though? smile

Flesh Sacrifice already heals you from the pool of blood if you have Leech though. I don't see it as a huge advantage, given how little it heals you, and that taking Leech over some of the better talents means that you're giving up one of your limited talent points for it.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Reverting flesh sacrifice nerf since so many people hate it. Just going to leave it alone for now. It causing bleeding is a good idea though.

Funny about Dallis. Knockdown change also feels silly on the boat and when first landing on the beach, but not sure it breaks anything else.

What do people think about slightly lowering the base damage of daggers, but granting Back Stabber for free at character creation? Solves two problems at once in my book.

Last edited by Baardvark; 06/06/17 01:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
What do people think about slightly lowering the base damage of daggers, but granting Back Stabber for free at character creation? Solves two problems at once in my book.

I like that idea, and definitely think it's worth pursuing. It's probably as close as you can get to adding back-stab to daggers and knives. It could open up several paths for Rogues which are not always available. Maybe also slightly lower the critical bonus from Scoundrel?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I like that idea, and definitely think it's worth pursuing. It's probably as close as you can get to adding back-stab to daggers and knives. It could open up several paths for Rogues which are not always available. Maybe also slightly lower the critical bonus from Scoundrel?

Knew that would please you :P Stabbey wanting to stab, no talent tax wanted. Consider it done.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A

I like that idea. It both nerfs pogues who are stupidly op rn and cancels the unfair talent tax.

Which talent are you going to give rogue presets instead of backstabber? I vote for pawn or avoid opportunists.

journeyman
journeyman
Reverting flesh sacrifice nerf since so many people hate it. Just going to leave it alone for now. It causing bleeding is a good idea though.

I don't see the way you had it as a nerf but a complete break.

If you think about how the skill already functions:
Downside = -2 constitution (Which with your mod is -18% vitality, which is huge)
Upside: Plus 10% damage + 1 AP costs 0 ap

Compare this to Encourage:
+1 to Strength, Finess, Int and constitution for everyone in range for 1ap.
Downside: Costs 1ap
Upside: Buff everybodies damage for 5% and gives them +9% vit.

Sorry but given the already huge decrease in vit I feel that the current skill is balanced.

If this still isn't enough to pursuade you then either do as you've done and leave it be or reduce the damage increase from 10% to 7%. I still find this to be overkill though.

Adding bleed is just silly.

Everyone needs to stop trying to nerf a skill that's already balanced.

I really don't like the idea for this change Baard. Aside from nerfing every rogue in general, (which would make the game easier not harder), but also: Imagine a rogue with backstab + Executioner / One man / Guerilla / etc.... you're actually opening it up to even more abuse.

Rogues are, or should be, a high risk high reward class. Instead of nerfing their damage why not think of ways to increase their risk factor or actually add to the classes that are lacking?

It's never a good idea to nerf classes people currently enjoy to keep the ones that don't play them happy. Instead try to make other classes more fun and bring their potential up to the level of a good rogue, cleric or wizard.

There are plenty of skills in the game that could make very good classes like a real support.

Baard we should talk on discord or something. You'll find me a good bouncing board for ideas and changes and perhaps we can work together since I know how to mod the game too. I'm currently working on a cryomancer, a touch mage and some other concepts

Last edited by RKane; 06/06/17 06:28 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well don't worry, I reset flesh sacrifice to vanilla and not touching it anymore. You're right that the vitality change already nerfs it a little bit.

Rogues do a ton of damage. I don't really want to just nerf them across the board, but not really trying to get too nitty gritty with nerfing individual skills. Though to be honest if I just reduced throwing knife's damage that would probably be enough.

I play rogues and like them, but often it feels like they outshine the rest of my party (except my bard of course :P). Being able to burst down characters in one turn is gnarly. Obviously that's part of the point of the rogue, but it just seems too good. Not sure what you mean by saying nerfing rogues would make the game easier. Increasing rogue's riskiness is also complicated (they're already pretty risky).

But you are right that potentially the extra talent grants more power than a 10% or so reduction in damage subtracts. Still, I think this makes rogues more fun and versatile. The Pawn and Executioner, the two best talents probably are exclusive, so that's not an issue. Guerilla should be good now, but not gamebreaking. Maybe its damage bonus should be 40% instead of 50%. One Man Army (assuming an actual 1 man party) is a whole different play style.

Buffing every other class is a lot more work than making a little global tweak to rogues. Maybe on release I'll try and go for that route.

PMed you.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard