Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline
Disclaimer: I know it's months before launch and much could change.

I'm looking for advice in order to maximize my fun when I play D:OS 2 at launch (I have not touched it yet). Obviously fun is subjective, so let me give you some back story.

I just played D:OS EE almost 2 full times through. The first time I played on Classic and got 90% through before I started a new profile on Tactician with 2x Lone Wolf because the game had stopped being challenging @ around 15.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened. I got master level abilities, I used crafted weapons, I had limitless gold, I ended up way over leveled and things just got too easy.

See the problem is that I'm the kind of person that wants to make their characters more powerful, and so I go down that path because it's fun and/or required for a while, but it eventually comes back to bite me.

So if I was to flip this topic around and give other people advice for D:OS EE I'd say:
- Play on Tactician
- Don't craft weapons
- Don't add elemental resists to armor / Rubies
- If you're into RP develop a different personality for each character and actually stick with those dialog choices, regardless of benefit.
- Same idea for stealing
- Don't reload a save just for a Charisma check
- Don't gear swap for Loremaster / Charisma / Barter etc
- Don't put 1 point into almost every line for insane utility
- Don't use any scrolls except Rez and Magical Unlock
- Only cast Burn My Eyes on your high perception character when you actually have the hint that you should be looking for something hidden in a specific place instead of just keeping it up all the time.
- Don't use Charm, Summons, Hail Attack, Meteor Shower, Rain of Arrows, Arrow Spray - they just cheese the combat.

I'm hoping that Larian has made D:OS 2 less exploitable, but regardless, please share your opinions :)

Last edited by Nezix; 06/06/17 02:31 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
We don't yet have Tactician, so hopefully it will be a real challenge.

What I've been doing to maintain a challenge is using only 1 character.
This allows you to use every trick in the book while still maintaining some difficulty.

Last edited by error3; 06/06/17 02:36 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Roll the Zombie talent. You have to really use your brain to know when to actually poison yourself vs leaving potential fire hazards everywhere.

old hand
old hand
Dont use lone wolf or glass canon talents, and dont use resurrection scrolls. (Previous game was meant to be played with only two characters, without those cheese talents. Companions were added because of crying "fans" and unbalanced the game, which also happens when someone uses those talents.)

Ai in this game is much better and there is not enough xp to overlevel, at least in this alpha.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Well, I would have to say, not everyone like it super challenging or overly balanced.

What I think Larian can do is to have a difficulty setting or a setting to disable certain functions for those who like super balanced kinda gameplay. Taking off certain functions may not appeal to all, e.g. no crafting weapon? I enjoy crafting weapons.

I am kind of having fun with the current difficulty.

Last edited by yttihs; 14/06/17 06:19 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard