Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
apprentice
I used Photoshop and an assload of tutorials on youtube.

Here is what I call a "satalite" view of the game world.

http://i.imgur.com/sh17xDE.jpg

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Nice work, Chill!

Good to see so many of us "seasoned" dungeon masters populating this forum with our old school design sensibilities. Exactly what I was hoping for!

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Azmo
Nice work, Chill!

Good to see so many of us "seasoned" dungeon masters populating this forum with our old school design sensibilities. Exactly what I was hoping for!

Me too, I am pretty impressed with what I am seeing so far but Sword Coast Legends has me weary. I would love to get my hands on this in early access.

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

Me too, I am pretty impressed with what I am seeing so far but Sword Coast Legends has me weary. I would love to get my hands on this in early access.

I know what you mean, that was not what I hoped it would be. I ran a persistent world NWN server a while back and was hoping SCL would be the replacement for that.

THIS, on the other hand looks like exactly what I have been waiting for. Content I write and run? Adjudication in real time? Yes, please!

Last edited by Azmo; 09/06/17 08:44 PM.
M
M
I'm making my own high-fantasy setting, I have already written 50 pages of lore and I'm no where near finished written down the vision I have of it, I hope to have the must essential of it done before september. It's not the idea that it should be GM, but rather a normal single player campaign.

I've also made 2 simple (and very incomplete) maps of the setting, using a simple painting program called Paintbrush for MAC.

Later tonight I'll upload the maps and a short description of the story...

Anyway, those are some very nice and promising projects y'all are working on.

A question though, I find it hard to come up with original names for locations and characters, anyone having similar issues? I base some locations, partially, on real historical counterparts and then uses that as inspiration for names.

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by MAHak

A question though, I find it hard to come up with original names for locations and characters, anyone having similar issues? I base some locations, partially, on real historical counterparts and then uses that as inspiration for names.

It is totally cool to use a mix of real world names and apply a fantasy 'filter' to them.
I have done that for years, and most of my players have responded well to them. Take two cities from earth, and mix their names. Only advice I can give is to say the name of the place out loud, make sure it doesn't sound like anything else. Decide what people from that place are going to be called.

Example.
Berlin + London = Berdon

Would people from there be called Berdonites or Berdonians?

Another thing that can help is to come up with an older naming convention based on direction.
One that I have used:

Sal = South
Nor = North
Wes = West
Ester = East

So if we combined this with the previous example we could get:

Salberdon, Wesberdon etc.

Play around and have fun, there are no wrong answers. Don't be afraid to add Port, Harbor, Crossing, Station, Valley, etc to the name as a suffix or a prefix.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MAHak

As I am Dutch I like to mix in a bit of Dutch or German, I also enjoy non Dutch speakers trying to pronounce them laugh
I suspect any non-english language would do the same trick.

And there are hundreds of name generators to be found on the internet.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
M
M
Hey Azmo thanks for the quick reply.
Your idea of combining and tweaking real world names is a good approach.
In my setting there is a region where I really wanted to have 'englandish' names, so I opened up Google Earth and zoomed in on ye marry olde England to get some inspiration for the names. I ended with some of the following names.

Gouthster
Blythelford
Leighbury
Milwick
Crawlind
Dormould

I've also used some words from my native language (Danish) for more outlandish names, there is a barbarian horde called Umulig, which means impossible in Danish.

Anyway here are the two maps for my setting. One is a world map and the other encompasses the kingdom of Dothnia and the immediate region, where the campaign takes place.

World map

Map of Dothnia
[img:center]http://imgur.com/a/tPRYO[/img]

In the campaign you are an initiate of the Shadow Shields, a covert order sworn to protect the Dothian crown and the integrity of the realm at all cost (wow, how original, I know rolleyes )

Last edited by MAHak; 12/06/17 09:13 PM.
Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Nice. I dig the swampy area called "Dead Water". If you already have a map and you have an idea for a story, you are doing pretty well.

Here are some of the town and city names for my setting:

Weston
Eastreach
Ruthblot
Galwin
Fishhook
Daleport
Musselburg
Daeger
Tinder Glen

M
M
Originally Posted by Azmo
Nice. I dig the swampy area called "Dead Water". If you already have a map and you have an idea for a story, you are doing pretty well.

Here are some of the town and city names for my setting:

Weston
Eastreach
Ruthblot
Galwin
Fishhook
Daleport
Musselburg
Daeger
Tinder Glen

Sadly I don't plan to visit "Dead Water" in my setting. The name is given by the humans of Dothnia because of the stagnant water and the fact that the whole swamp is full of diseases as well poisonous flora and fauna, any man who enters it is dead within days.
The lizard people living in the swamp have another name for it, basically meaning the waters of life, because of all the animals and organisms living in it.
Yeah I should probably stop yacking on now....

I like the idea of also combining objects into the name, such as your 'Fishhook' and 'Daleport'. I have 'Berganport' named after the king who founded the kingdom of Dothnia and 'Trees End' a trading town at the border of the elven forest realm of Ganatha and the Umuligian steppes.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm gonna make a setting based on "Malazan Book of the Fallen" by S. Erikson. Would like to add a lot of custom 3d models but first I need some info about editor. Importing/Exporting in previous one was not so good so I hope Larian improve that so it'll be easier.

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Araiel
Would like to add a lot of custom 3d models but first I need some info about editor. Importing/Exporting in previous one was not so good so I hope Larian improve that so it'll be easier.

And if not, then the Steam Community will have more models to use before long. I am comfortable making maps and levels, and dungeons, but making models is a bit too time consuming for me. I will grab any suitable mobs from the community.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Azmo, I'm a 3d artist so I wanna use my own models. I've gathered descriptions from first two tomes of "Malazan" series and currently searching for the right toolkit to make it laugh I like the art style of Divinity and combat system so would be great to make it as campaign/mod for this title. I really hope the editor will be a lot of better than last time.

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Right on!
Araiel, Will you be sharing the models you make on the steam community?

I make and paint terrain and models for table top gaming and am looking forward to taking some of that skill and seeing if it is applicable in the level editor.

Last edited by Azmo; 13/06/17 02:17 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Maybe not all but I can think about sharing some of them. I was thinking also about putting them on gumroad (selling platform for artist) as free models with "pay as much as you want" option. But, you know, we'll see how it goes. Everything is possible. Besides that, I'd like to make small team to make the whole workflow faster and help me with programming/scripting - I'm really bad at this.

Table top gaming skills are very useful. You know, tools are different but overall thinking/concept of what you must do is still the same smile

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Amazing stuff guys!
It's really awesome to see and I'm looking forward to see what every single one of you will do for sure.

If I'm not dead exhausted after the release, I may also want to create a campaign in one of my world I used for years in Pathfinder.

http://imgur.com/6Qjl82q
(Map was done in Cartographer 3)

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Homebrewed worlds for the win!

Nice map, norD. That is very evocative, I even dig that it is in black and white. Just looking at it I got an idea for a character. A Lizard (mystic, noble) Summoner from the Golden Tropics named.. Zeka

old hand
old hand
Very cool, NorD, I support a sabbatical for you to make it happen! up

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Windemere
Very cool, NorD, I support a sabbatical for you to make it happen! up

A whole year?
It would not take that time to create a campaign. claphands

old hand
old hand
No, even though that might be the original meaning I've seen it used frequently just to designate an extended leave. smile

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard