Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This was a major plight in the first game (mostly pre-EE, but also in the EE), and it only seems worse now. Gear provides a ridiculous amount of elemental resist. +30%, +20%, +10% resist legendary helms, shields, and body armor are common. Even rares can provide a ton of resist.

Without even trying, you can hit 50% resist for an element on a character. Nevermind the ridiculous amount resist (and dodge) leadership gives. Unfortunately reducing the leadership resist/dodge values in the data.txt doesn't seem to have an effect. The 5m range is supposed to balance it, but that just feels frustrating. 8m range with 3% resist/dodge per point sounds good on paper to me. I don't like how it seems useless with 1 or 2 points in that case, but a 50% resist/dodge bonus is a ton.

Dodge can also reach pretty high values from finesse, DWing ability, and gear, though it requires leadership to really get absurd. Not sure how dodge chance interacts with with accuracy, but seems problematic to me.

10 or 15% resist on a piece a gear should be impressive. Then getting 30 or 40% resist from gear in even one element would be an achievement. I don't want to see the game balanced around most player characters having 50-60%+ resist. Hope the loot numbers especially get tweaked (or else I'm going to do it), and leadership values get changeable.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I think it's kinda ok so far.

What I think is, high resistance to 1 school at a time is OK but high resistance to all schools is bad.

I consider it a strength for DOS for 100%+ resistance is achievable. Anything higher than 100% it heals the character, e.g. zombie. It makes sense. But if all school are 100%+ achievable in game at a time, then it makes it rather unbalance.

Let's make the word short. Let's call it high defense, e.g. high resistance/high armor. I think to make a balance, a high defense toon/mob should be balance with low damage.

An easy way around this for now, I think, if resistances is too much of a concern, is to reduce it in accordance to difficulty setting.

I won't judge this resistance thing for now until I played the whole game and then I'll see how things turn out but so far in Act 1, I feel it's still ok.

Last edited by yttihs; 19/06/17 11:40 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
@Baardvark
Do it yourself. The game is perfect with this. If you dont like something you can change it yourself from the files. I think the game drops trash items and i feel super weak, no matter my level. Just because you like to feel like trash ingame, doesnt mean we all want that. No offence bro.

Last edited by Braxx; 19/06/17 01:15 PM.

The best class is the Jack of all Trades
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yes, 100%+ in a single resist should be achievable, but with dedication, specific talents, skills, etc. I'm not even talking 100% though, even the ease of achieving 50% resist in most resists is a problem. That's halving the damage of mages and elements.

Every item slot can potentially receive a 30/20/10% resist combo (and quite often, too). It's easy to extrapolate from act 1 to see that by act 2 if you spend your time gearing up you'll be sitting at 50/60%+ resists (nevermind leadership). If they try to balance around these kinds of resists, people who don't gear up with massive resists will get annihilated.

Originally Posted by Braxx
@Baardvark
Do it yourself. The game is perfect with this. If you dont like something you can change it yourself from the files. I think the game drops trash items and i feel super weak, no matter my level. Just because you like to feel like trash ingame, doesnt mean we all want that. No offence bro.

Well, I've already changed it in my mod for next version. I don't want to feel like "trash," but I don't want uber-resists handed to me. I'll agree that other than massive resists, loot is fairly unimpressive overall. Not necessarily bad, but boring and inconsistent. I'd rather they make loot more interesting than stacking massive resists on everything.

journeyman
journeyman
Well Its good if there is some gear that lets you reach 100% for 2 or 3 elements. You can make your character focused on these elements , like A Geomancer/Fire Wizard and it would be ok if you can reach 100% resist for fire and earth.
Maybe they can nerf the resist you get if you are not focusing into the specific skill tree. I dont think you should get 100% water resist if you are a fire wizard .

As for the items ... they are pretty much trash. The useful stuff is with the vendors. I cant tell you how frustrating it is when you dig up a tresure and you find useless trash in it.

The best class is the Jack of all Trades

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard