Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Triumph Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
[Linked Image]

Why do the elves in game look absolutely nothing like the elf in this promotional image?

The Elf in this image has normal skin. The Elves in game have this weird, twisted, muscular texture that makes them look part plant more than anything.

Last edited by Triumph; 30/06/17 10:30 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Nope they're pretty identical.

if you take a closer look at the elves in game you will find that their face and arms look normal, while their abdomen and leg got that texture that makes them appear like they have affinity with forest and nature.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Lohse, Ifan, and that tiny hobo pirate have been making me uncomfortable during my long loading screens, rape stares so intense It's hard to remember there's an actual humanoid lizard creature among them. Guess it's finally time to get an SSD.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Amrael

if you take a closer look at the elves in game you will find that their face and arms look normal, while their abdomen and leg got that texture that makes them appear like they have affinity with forest and nature.

no... they arent(to me).
they look more like some kind of alien and nothing from this world. hard to look at for me. hope a mod can morph them out/in a bit later
btw in game the ears are longer... just one of many observations

Last edited by AssFat; 04/07/17 01:02 AM.
T
Triumph Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Amrael

You are 100% incorrect

[Linked Image]

Just look at the upper body texture for Sabille's art vs Sabille's model. The art has normal skin, the game model has weird messed up scar tissue for skin. Chest, shoulders, biceps, forearms, the works.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So, the face is normal. The head matches almost perfectly, aside from the bigger ears. The neck on the picture you seem to adore is in fact FREAKISHLY long like the in-game. The in-game is also extremely muscularly toned and long-limbed, like the art there appears to be. There's a more wood-like texture to the in-game, but then again the Red Prince looks significantly different from his image.

So, long and short of it ; You're complaining and objectively wrong.

T
Triumph Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T

There's a more wood-like texture to the in-game,

Nice self contradiction!

In the art they look like people. In the game they look like plants.

It's obvious that the plant people elves are unpopular, especially when Larian doesn't even use it for their art anymore.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
IIRC a lot of Larian's artwork is outsourced and will have someone else's interpretation. Where the elves are concerned, I'm ambivalent: I'd prefer them to be less sinewy, but if that's the way they are I guess I should learn to do skin textures in Gimp. :p

I'm vaguely reminded of the furore over the skimpy-or-not armour in the promo artwork of D:OS and some quite opinionated comments, not all of which were helpful.

J'aime le fromage.
N
N
I think the main problem is the design seems like a sort of compromise. It looks like they wanted to try and make them more inhuman at first, but then partway through decided that they still needed to sort of look human. In most cases, that sort of thought process creates a compromised design that does not match well with either ideal and just sits in the middle looking strange.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Nivv
I think the main problem is the design seems like a sort of compromise. It looks like they wanted to try and make them more inhuman at first, but then partway through decided that they still needed to sort of look human. In most cases, that sort of thought process creates a compromised design that does not match well with either ideal and just sits in the middle looking strange.

This is my take as well. Honestly, though, the textures and art design in this game have little priority when put up against the major mechanic decisions that still need work.

Originally Posted by Blubberberry
Lohse, Ifan, and that tiny hobo pirate have been making me uncomfortable during my long loading screens, rape stares so intense It's hard to remember there's an actual humanoid lizard creature among them. Guess it's finally time to get an SSD.

Fair warning. Careful about getting a PCIe SSD. Takes up a lane and is incompatible with Intel Rapid Storage Software unless you put them in SATA mode....which negates the point of getttinh PCIe version SSD in the first place. Makes them terrible for RAID though they're fast as heck if you get one large good one.

Last edited by aj0413; 05/07/17 08:34 PM.
I'm also no fan of the elf design myself, not the least. Also their crappy clothing style, not to mention the "morphiong armor" cr... stuff.

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
B
stranger
stranger
B
The elves remind me of stick insects, not saying that's a bad thing

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
The topic of how the elves look and how their armour looks has been beaten to death. Personally, I'm of the side that really dislikes how they look and how their armour looks. But with how long ago it was first brought up and how little time there's left till the game comes out, there most likely won't be anything changed about it.

Gonna have to wait for mods to change them probably.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm not sure I've seen this much controversy since the way Dragon Age 2 portrayed elves. Which I was somewhat ambivalent about, but I figured at least it was a change from "skinny humans with pointy ears".

J'aime le fromage.
N
N
I really hope that if Larian makes a new IP for an RPG with an entirely new setting, that they ditch all human-like races such as elves and dwarves and go for more alien and uncommon designs like the Lizards.

Elves and Dwarves have been done to death in games, and they come with the additional baggage of people who get upset because it's not exactly the same as every other elf and dwarf in fantasy media.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Elves in the game hit smack dab into the Uncanny valley to the extent where I think they are meant to look alien, plant-like, and in many ways hideous to human eyes.

The Artwork goes far out of its way to pretty up the elf in every single way possible. It is funny but this picture of Sebille is wearing more clothes than she ever does in the game (especially around the neck... Elves love their stripper armor)

Not to mention her skin complexion is WAY softer then the art in game would suggest (which would be that her skin would look flesh toned but leafy or bark-like).

Or rather SURE the Elf in the art doesn't look completely unlike the elf in the game...

Yet if this was a photoshoot than the team photoshopped the picture to hell and back and even digitally added different clothes to her body.

---

What is kind of also funny is that character wise... Sebille is psychotic! She is sociopathic.

I feel like she is given an incredibly flattering and sympathetic light given how she actually acts where you have to actually talk her out of killing you.

Yet how does the art depict the most sympathetic character? Like she is a witch...

But why would that be? Could it be because Sebille wears less clothes then her?

Last edited by Neonivek; 19/07/17 08:12 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Seelenernter
I'm also no fan of the elf design myself, not the least. Also their crappy clothing style, not to mention the "morphiong armor" cr... stuff.

I do not understand why the devs left in delirium on the elf design but remained classic with the dwarfs. I do not like the appearance of the elves and their clothing. Devs wanted to make it original but it was a failure.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, it wasn'ta failure. It's 100% original. Nobodyh has wood-skinned tall alien elves but D:OS2. It not being liked by entitled children is another thing entirely, but it certainly doesn't make it a failure.

old hand
old hand
Even if 100% original (what it is), it could be accessed as a failure, f.e. to try to be original. It's personal bias. Not being condescending in posts should not.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by TraceChaos

Wouldn't it be "subjectively wrong"? As in, they're wrong in your opinion? In my opinion, they're pretty spot on!

I honestly had no idea that the Elf in the picture and the Elf in game were the same race let alone the same character.

Personally, I hate the design. I think they looks somewhat demonic and even grotesque. I usually don't mod games, as I like vanilla, but I think I'll make an exception for this and change the model/texture if possible.

I agree with the post before. In my opinion, this is a design failure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard