Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#605599 19/06/17 10:41 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
They look like Elves that have been bred with the Kominoans from starwars and had their make up done by a drag queen.

[Linked Image]

Hope they make there faces better looking for final release because they are a far cry from the art for the game. The other races have at least one nice face each...but the elves...

Last edited by Skullcleaver; 19/06/17 10:41 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Oh no! Creative art design! How terrible.

Seriously you people go on my nerves so much.
You keep screaming for the most boring and generic artwork.

I bet you are german.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm sorry, what's their mnakeup and drag queens have to do with each other at all?

They're tall, lithe, and close to nature. Like all elves ever. They're also covered in cool glowing runes and actually pretty unique, unlike most things ever.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Sordak
Oh no! Creative art design! How terrible.

Seriously you people go on my nerves so much.
You keep screaming for the most boring and generic artwork.

I bet you are german.

If you want to be creative don't take a race that's been in the games before and change them into something they have never been. So like every other Divinity game they have been in they have looked normal.

Boring and generic...you mean like asking for what they have in their site artwork. However guessing most people on this forum have no idea about the other divinity games. I've played them all since Divine Divinity and they NEVER ever had anything but normal humans, dwarves and elves..so if you want something original why the hell use them? If you make pointy eared lithe elves then they are in no way unique or original they still fit the standard elf template. They are just uglier than normal elves...much uglier.

They're tall, lithe, and close to nature. Like all elves ever. They're also covered in cool glowing runes and actually pretty unique, unlike most things ever.

Actually its been done in a load of fantasy settings and isn't original either. At this stage nothing is really original about elves, dwarves or humans you want something original you wouldn't use Elves, Humans, Dwarves or Undead....i mean add in Orcs and you have all the standard fantasy races right there.

Last edited by Skullcleaver; 20/06/17 08:09 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Muh retcon.
Divinity has been retconned every single game. The entire series is one giant retcon.
Please tell me how beyond divinity and dragon commander paint an even simmilar picture of the world.
They dont, thats fine.

Their site Artwork. certainly not the Divinity Original Sin 2 artwork, because thats what their models are based off.
No idea of the divinity games, sure, nice strawman there. I bet you are a german who doesnt like fantasy that diverges from tolkien because youve grown up with terrible german tolkien knockoff novels.

This hypothesis has exactly as much merit as you claiming people here havent played the old games.
Its nonsense.

And no the old divinity games did NOT just have humans elves and dwarves, Lizards have been either in the game or at least mentioned since the start.

Also you complain that elves are elves but look more interresting? How is that even a complaint. If they werent elves, they wouldnt call em elves.
They are elves but with a different twist. Fine YOU dont like that, stop pretending you actually have a point beyond that.

You dont like it, theres no argument to be had over this. you dont like it, Larian does, the majority of people here do, so who cares.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Divinity has been retconned every single game. The entire series is one giant retcon.
Please tell me how beyond divinity and dragon commander paint an even simmilar picture of the world.
They dont, thats fine.

There is there actually a sentence in here that isn't totally false?
Ret cons? WHERE?
Beyond Divinity isn't on Rivellon and is in keeping with the story...you played the game right? I don't think Elves, Dwarves, Orcs or Lizards are in that game...so far as i recall its all humans, imps, demons and ranaar (ghosts).
Dragon Commander isn't actually one of the Divinity series games so far as plot or lore is concerned.

http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline - No Dragon Commander and the story works all the way through. This is stone wall proof you don't know anything about the Divinity series.

Their site Artwork. certainly not the Divinity Original Sin 2 artwork, because thats what their models are based off.

[Linked Image]

Based on that? Seems legit. However i am amused that you stretch a model out and add some tattoos and suddenly its super original. I have no problem with actual original idea's or takes on things just not the same thing but uglier.

This hypothesis has exactly as much merit as you claiming people here havent played the old games.
Its nonsense.

Think I have already proven you don't actually know anything about Divinity seeing you think they Retcon everything.

And no the old divinity games did NOT just have humans elves and dwarves, Lizards have been either in the game or at least mentioned since the start.

Lizards were not in the other games I doubt they were even mentioned. Maybe in a book but they have never been part of the games.They are in tons of fantasy settings - D&D and Warhammer to name a couple of the biggest ones hardly makes them original they are also pretty standard fantasy.

Also you complain that elves are elves but look more interresting? How is that even a complaint. If they werent elves, they wouldnt call em elves.

Quote me anywhere i say anything about looking "interesting" the word I used was UGLY.

You dont like it, theres no argument to be had over this. you dont like it, Larian does, the majority of people here do, so who cares.

To be fair i doubt anyone can argue anything with you seeing you ignore all the facts and then make up stuff that they say....which is why i quote and debunked all your rant.

Last edited by Skullcleaver; 21/06/17 08:17 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I don't mind if artists use a variant of what they feel a race should look like personally.

I remember when I was playing some player made stuff on stream one time (for another game) and I was trying to RP the NPCs and I cannot do an Irish/Scottish accent to play the typical Dwarf so I made all the dwarves in the game speak Rastafarian instead.

Now, that is going to be my thing from now on, Rasta Dwarves.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Skullcleaver
Lizards were not in the other games I doubt they were even mentioned.

Lizards were in (at least) Divine Divinity and Dragon Commander. Not counting things like dragons and wyverns, obviously.

J'aime le fromage.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Elves look ugly and alien but I think that is the point, they are meant to look incredibly unnerving and uncanny to human perception.

Their armor sets being hideous mishmashes of sin is another story altogether... and I am not even getting started on the overall plant motif (as "It looks like a plant" isn't an excuse for it being ugly). Their armor is bad by most standards and I don't even mean just over designed and that it often clashes with the game's established aesthetic.

Yet at the same time looking at the armor in the game, I get the distinct impression the elves are supposed to also be the game's sex appeal... OR they are ugly so that their "sexy armor" isn't perceived as offensive.

Last edited by Neonivek; 21/06/17 01:14 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Neonivek
OR they are ugly so that their "sexy armor" isn't perceived as offensive.

It's the sort of gentle trolling I could get on-board with. "You want sexy armour? lol."

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
"hurr durr nobody played the games"

"Lizards werent in the games!"

Well you just discredited your entire argument. And you did it all by yourself aswell.
And the rest is... "Its been in other fantasy things too so it SHOULD be generic"

Man, i already got your bratwurst and sauerkraut ready, hans. Lets play some DSA and read Die Zwerge. Jawohl!

In all seriousness i cannot stand hypocrisy.
Just admit its simply because YOU dont like it. Thats fine, you are free not to like stuff. But thats not an argument.

Last edited by Sordak; 21/06/17 04:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Man, i already got your bratwurst and sauerkraut ready, hans. Lets play some DSA and read Die Zwerge. Jawohl!

Please don't use those stereotypes. They're hurtful and don't support your argument.

As for Retcons:

Well, only because the other races didn't appear in D:OS or Divinity 2, doesn't mean that they disappeared completely (most of it was for budget and engine reasons. The other races were planned in the early concept phases of 2 for example). But there ARE smal details, which stand contraire to the earlier lore:

- The Orcs are now a matriarchal culture and pray to the All-Mother, instead of their creator god. Could be a retcon, or they explain it in the lore book.
- Rivellon turned from a nation to the name of the whole world. Bigger Retcon, but I guess we will survive that wink.
- Hell turned into the Void, if I understand it correctly. Or it is still it's own place, I'm not sure at the moment.

The elves are a bigger problem, but they could just explain that they've changed since Dragon Commander and the villagers from Divinity 1 are remnants of their old culture. I mean the Lizards turned from a Democracy into an Empire, so why not?

A really big retcon would be, when they eradicate everything that happened in The Dragon Knight Saga in favor of a more Sourcefocused-story.

The thing about the Divinity Lore is, that it grew bigger and bigger over the years, but most of it stood alone or focused on it's own themes (for example, we saw no Dragon Knights in Original Sin). Easier for beginners to play, but for lore-lovers like me sometimes very frustrating laugh.

That's why I hope, that they'll finally give us definite version of the lore in OS 2. Can only be easier for future stories laugh.

Last edited by Zelon; 22/06/17 04:37 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Zelon
A really big retcon would be, when they eradicate everything that happened in The Dragon Knight Saga in favor of a more Sourcefocused-story.

Did they really eradicate it? I didn't think DKS was at odds with the other Divinities, just that it was a particular tangent in pursuit of Divinity's "main quest". It's just one that focussed on Champions and Dragon Knights and so on rather than Source, but that doesn't necessarily diminish the significance of the latter.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Zelon

Did they really eradicate it? I didn't think DKS was at odds with the other Divinities, just that it was a particular tangent in pursuit of Divinity's "main quest". It's just one that focussed on Champions and Dragon Knights and so on rather than Source, but that doesn't necessarily diminish the significance of the latter.

Nono, they didn't do it, sorry if I wasn't clear^^.

I just wanted to explain what for me would be a real retcon. We only had elves for two games in minor roles, but we already played two Dragon Knights in two games, so it would be big retcon, if they just cut out the importance of the Knights on Rivellons history.

N
N
I actually feel that they didn't go quite far enough in making them inhuman in appearance. I've always intensely disliked non-human races that physically, might as well be humans but with superficial differences.

The sort of nature quality to them could have been way cooler in my opinion if their flesh transformed during battle, and they looked like humanoid monsters carved out of wood that bleed sap.

Then, when the battle ends, they return to the normal not-quite human looking state, but still don't bleed blood. It could be left up to interpretation for the player to question whether the battle form, or out of battle form is their natural appearance.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nivv
I actually feel that they didn't go quite far enough in making them inhuman in appearance. I've always intensely disliked non-human races that physically, might as well be humans but with superficial differences.

The sort of nature quality to them could have been way cooler in my opinion if their flesh transformed during battle, and they looked like humanoid monsters carved out of wood that bleed sap.

Then, when the battle ends, they return to the normal not-quite human looking state, but still don't bleed blood. It could be left up to interpretation for the player to question whether the battle form, or out of battle form is their natural appearance.

That's actually a cool idea, though I dunno if that's quite got its place since they eat flesh to gain memories. Including / especially of their own race.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nivv

Save that idea. Seriously that idea is gold.

Last edited by Zelon; 25/06/17 07:37 PM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
This is what you get for letting Lohannah eat meat.
Now her whole race are corpse eaters. You monster!

[Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Incendax
This is what you get for letting Lohannah eat meat.
Now her whole race are corpse eaters. You monster!

[Linked Image]

... I know you were just joking, but could somebody give this to the writers? This is brilliant laugh.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Why does this thread still exist? I think the design of the elves in this game is the most original interpretation of an elf I've ever seen and I love it. I also like that they are uniquely making elves their own thing. I am so sick of generic, boring Forgotten Realms based games with the same old races and same old creatures over and over and over and over. I liked the original Dragon Age, because it re-invented the wheel and it looks like DoS:2 is doing the same. P.S. The elves are beautiful in their own way. Please keep the current design for elves, Larian.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard