Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I can't be just me.
If you see the nexus mod page for Divinity 1 you only see reskins. This is because Larian uses a third party software for animation called Granny3d that uses .GR2 files.
Granny 3d is old as f#~k, Blizzard uses it on WoW, which is 13 year old.

I'm making preparations to translate my pen and paper D&D campaign to the Divinity Engine, since I'm studying game art and 3d i thought it would be a good oportunity to deal with new challenges and improve my skills making new models.
And then GR2 comes up.
I didn't know why the D:OS and D:OS EE mod sphere was so...limited, a game with so much possibilities, with a campaign editor...and only cheap retexturings as main popular mods.
Now I know. For modders GR2 is like hitting a wall, specially for the ones that (like me) use profesional tools (Maya+Substance+Zbrush...) in our schools/jobs.
I know that someone has programmed a tool for extracting .pak files into the .gr2 and that Blender can import .dae files, but why leave out the 2 big ones, Maya and Max? Max hasn't got a GR2 importer since Max 7.

We need more info in the so-called modding tools that is coming, because it looks like they will commit the same mistakes they made in D:OS EE, you can't sell the idea of "freedom to create" and then cutting that freedom for modding, that's what killed Sword Coast Legends (A tabletop experience with a DM with no editor nor possible creation of any kind? Great Work. GG)

I mean I could be wrong but i honestly don't understand how Larian can develop an almost perfect system and make the mistake on relying on expensive middleware to work, (and makes an absurd 4 player limit also when most groups are 5 or 6 and the DM, but that's an entire different point)

It's like making the perfect cookies, offering them to us but shielding them against an unbreakable 6-inches-thick reinforced glass.

My hype for the game has been severely reduced, to be honest.
Am I the only one that feels this way?

Support
Support

Granny version 2.11.6 was released June 27th.

For D:OS - Editing GR2 meshes finally possible

For D:OS 2, an exporter will be provided.

There is a 6 man party mod for D:OS EE, and it should be possible to do the same in D:OS 2.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, definitely possible, I've succeeded in editing textures and meshes in D:OS II using Norbyte's tools (I think... it's been a while). Admittedly GR2 wouldn't be my first choice, as I prefer NIFs such as with FO4 and, er, Ego Draconis, and that's a format which is at least as ancient. biggrin

Admittedly I don't use Maya and 3DS Max, I think Blender is about as much expense as my modelling skills deserve.

J'aime le fromage.
Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I know most people here are Blender users, and that's totally fine, but liking it or not, Max and Maya are both bigger and more used standards. .FBX is super friendly to work with and lots of third parties can import it (zbrush, f ex) can save animations, uv's, rigs...

Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

Granny version 2.11.6 was released June 27th.

For D:OS - Editing GR2 meshes finally possible

For D:OS 2, an exporter will be provided.

There is a 6 man party mod for D:OS EE, and it should be possible to do the same in D:OS 2.

Sorry for the double post.
The 6 man party mod for D:OS EE wasn't good. Changing hex values on a .exe, and giving the players just henchmen to play with and it didn't managed the game properly when it came to conversations, scripts, and stuff. I honestly don't care much about the main D:OS2 campaign, my eye is fixed to the multiplayer+gm mode, and i fear that with a mod things will get nasty, handling more than 4 inventories, asking for dice rolls, etc would cause problems.

I honestly and truly want with all my heart that these are just my irrational fears and the mod (if it comes to exist) will work like a charm.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Noctro
I know most people here are Blender users, and that's totally fine, but liking it or not, Max and Maya are both bigger and more used standards. .FBX is super friendly to work with and lots of third parties can import it (zbrush, f ex) can save animations, uv's, rigs...

I must admit I really hate Blender. biggrin But it does what I want with only a minimal amount of fighting and I think I'd be afraid to go through a similar learning curve all over again.

I don't doubt that people who are much more creative types than me would go for Max and Maya. Hopefully the official editor will import and export more convenient formats for all, though I've no idea what to expect.

I am kinda jealous of people who just have an innate skill for modelling though, and manage to create some seriously awesome stuff while I'm dragging around one vertex at a time. My 2D skills aren't any better either.

J'aime le fromage.
Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm like you, i'm just starting modelling actually, but i can feel that I'm already improving very slowly.
At the end it all comes to practice, practice, practice.

P.S: Maya and Max have a waaay easier curve for modelling than blender IMO.

N
addict
addict
N
If you see the nexus mod page for Divinity 1 you only see reskins. This is because Larian uses a third party software for animation called Granny3d that uses .GR2 files.

The choice of file format has little to do with this; the issue is that Larian didn't release any exporter with the editor, so it was quite impossible to import/export meshes.

Granny 3d is old as f#~k, Blizzard uses it on WoW, which is 13 year old.

The same could be said about FBX, couldn't it? It was created in 1996 after all ... But despite that, both the FBX and GR2 formats got significant updates, and even though its still called GR2 it's very different from the old GR2's.
Even if they miraculously managed to use a 13 years old SDK for this game (which they didn't), I could still argue that meshes almost contain the exact same info they did 13 years ago, i.e. vertices, normals/tangents/bitangents, UV sets, skeleton, animation frames and some additional metadata. If you look at how a modern engine stores meshes (eg. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Engine/Engine/UStaticMesh/index.html), you'll see that its almost the same as it was in the last decade. Vertex data is one of the very few things in graphics that didn't really change with the advance in technology.

Blender can import .dae files, but why leave out the 2 big ones, Maya and Max?

Mostly because it was the easiest file format to handle in the little spare time I had (and there are plugins for Maya and Max both to import/export .DAE files.)

Max hasn't got a GR2 importer since Max 7.

The SDK I have contains exporters for up to Max 2013 though its quite old; newer SDKs probably support up to Max 2017.

I mean I could be wrong but i honestly don't understand how Larian can develop an almost perfect system and make the mistake on relying on expensive middleware to work

I'd say granny as a middleware isn't so bad, the mistake they made -- which, from a modding point of view, is a very significant one -- was not checking whether they can provide the GR2 SDK to players. I'd say it was because modding was more of an afterthought in D:OS and EE and not something they've spent a large amount of effort on in the early stages of development, so by the time it came to licensing it was already too late to change formats or it was simply not viewed as a significant enough issue to spend effort on. (I may be wrong here though.)
D:OS2 -- as stated before -- will have importers/exporters, so this issue will be nonexistent.

We need more info in the so-called modding tools that is coming

Yeah, at least a list of what changes were made would be nice.

The 6 man party mod for D:OS EE wasn't good. Changing hex values on a .exe, and giving the players just henchmen to play with and it didn't managed the game properly when it came to conversations, scripts, and stuff.

I'd say it was because the whole main campaign was built around there being 2 main chars and 2 henchmen, and the way the scripts were built didn't really handle 4+ players well as they didn't expect them to exist at all.
From what I've seen so far, the char creation script support for D:OS2 is way better than the ones in OS1, this doesn't guarantee that it'll handle 4+ chars properly though. We shall see.

and i fear that with a mod things will get nasty, handling more than 4 inventories, asking for dice rolls, etc would cause problems.

From a scripting/API point of view handling any number of characters is feasible; the main issue in D:OS 1 was that certain elements were hardcoded both in the exe and in the main campaign scripts, creating various issues for 4+ players.

I am kinda jealous of people who just have an innate skill for modelling though, and manage to create some seriously awesome stuff while I'm dragging around one vertex at a time. My 2D skills aren't any better either.

Yeah, I kinda gave up on modelling a while ago, I'm just no good at it. smirk

P.S: Maya and Max have a waaay easier curve for modelling than blender IMO.

I have to agree that there are some things that are _very_ hard to use/get used to in Blender. Some of their UI design decisions are truly puzzling to me, there is probably some logic to it though that I can't see yet smile

Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The same could be said about FBX, couldn't it? It was created in 1996 after all ... But despite that, both the FBX and GR2 formats got significant updates, and even though its still called GR2 it's very different from the old GR2's.
Even if they miraculously managed to use a 13 years old SDK for this game (which they didn't), I could still argue that meshes almost contain the exact same info they did 13 years ago, i.e. vertices, normals/tangents/bitangents, UV sets, skeleton, animation frames and some additional metadata. If you look at how a modern engine stores meshes (eg. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/API/Runtime/Engine/Engine/UStaticMesh/index.html), you'll see that its almost the same as it was in the last decade. Vertex data is one of the very few things in graphics that didn't really change with the advance in technology.

But FBX has become way more accesible, used and known for the whole 3d community than .GR2 , damn i'd say even that the .obj formas has it's days counted since you can import it directly to UE4.

The SDK I have contains exporters for up to Max 2013 though its quite old; newer SDKs probably support up to Max 2017.

That still leaves Maya out of the picture sadly, well. At least is just one extra step for me to switch between those two.

I'd say it was because the whole main campaign was built around there being 2 main chars and 2 henchmen, and the way the scripts were built didn't really handle 4+ players well as they didn't expect them to exist at all.

Yes. I know, that's the point. I can't wrap my head around why they decided to build the system that limited in amount of players. :S

From a scripting/API point of view handling any number of characters is feasible; the main issue in D:OS 1 was that certain elements were hardcoded both in the exe and in the main campaign scripts, creating various issues for 4+ players.

As i said and you agreed. That's why we need more info. I understand and respect that big L doesn't want to release the tools until release, but I honestly think they should give us some info, an informative video of some sort. What scripting language is it? What are the modding tools able to get their hands on which aspects of the game? Could we make changes on the interface? or maybe translate de Game Masters database or game HUD to other languages by ourselves (not talking about dialogs)?Is it possible to add new paintable effects? (like the venom-y,water-y and make your own such as fog or puddles of different colors) If we make new character models can we create new races or the system would only allow to replace the main 5?

From a modelling-artistic perspective, I would like to know what i would be able to do and what not, because that something i can start working on almost right now. But those other questions are ones that can make more people be interested in the game. (I certainly have an entire group of people to convince! hahaha)

old hand
old hand

As i said and you agreed. That's why we need more info. I understand and respect that big L doesn't want to release the tools until release, but I honestly think they should give us some info, an informative video of some sort. What scripting language is it? What are the modding tools able to get their hands on which aspects of the game? Could we make changes on the interface? or maybe translate de Game Masters database or game HUD to other languages by ourselves (not talking about dialogs)?Is it possible to add new paintable effects? (like the venom-y,water-y and make your own such as fog or puddles of different colors) If we make new character models can we create new races or the system would only allow to replace the main 5?

From a modelling-artistic perspective, I would like to know what i would be able to do and what not, because that something i can start working on almost right now. But those other questions are ones that can make more people be interested in the game. (I certainly have an entire group of people to convince! hahaha)

I can't tell, did you use the EE editor? It was unintuitive and a bit clunky, but pretty powerful. The scripting language appears it will be fundamentally same as the first game (their own custom language which is weird but it works I guess.) Not sure about interfaces changes, but I think it's possible to make some kinds of changes (was easy to change UI font for example, and pretty sure someone changed the scaling or something.) Every word in the game can be translated to whatever you want. Pretty sure you could make your own surface types/textures.

Just tested, looks like it's pretty easy to create new races at character creation. Make a model/animations, create a root template for it, and reference it in the character creation files. The armor visuals will be the biggest hurdle, but maybe you can reuse existing armor models and just slightly resize them to your model (or just make your creation the same size as existing ones.)

Not sure what kind of limitations there will be for player count or how it will interact with GM mode stuff, but 5 players + GM might not be so hard to implement. The problems with multiple players in the first game was more a matter of how the main campaign was designed, not as much technical limitations.

Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
ot sure what kind of limitations there will be for player count or how it will interact with GM mode stuff, but 5 players + GM might not be so hard to implement. The problems with multiple players in the first game was more a matter of how the main campaign was designed, not as much technical limitations.

In my case, I'm positive that i won't use the conversation system in our custom campaign, but instead we will voice roleplay everything. So for us won't be much trouble
Just tested, looks like it's pretty easy to create new races at character creation. Make a model/animations, create a root template for it, and reference it in the character creation files. The armor visuals will be the biggest hurdle, but maybe you can reuse existing armor models and just slightly resize them to your model (or just make your creation the same size as existing ones.)

You just made me very happy *power hug*

I can't tell, did you use the EE editor? It was unintuitive and a bit clunky, but pretty powerful. The scripting language appears it will be fundamentally same as the first game (their own custom language which is weird but it works I guess.) Not sure about interfaces changes, but I think it's possible to make some kinds of changes (was easy to change UI font for example, and pretty sure someone changed the scaling or something.)
That's the part that Larian has to work to improve i guess...

N
addict
addict
N
The armor visuals will be the biggest hurdle, but maybe you can reuse existing armor models and just slightly resize them to your model (or just make your creation the same size as existing ones.)

Yep, if you could successfully import your mesh you could replace pretty much anything or add new characters/npcs/statics, it's just that the entire mesh import pipeline was so undocumented and unintuitive, starting from the GR2 format to some of the unwritten rules you had to obey for animations (not no mention having to swap normal map channels ...), that it was pretty hard to make things work. It didn't help that the editor doesn't really tell you what's wrong with your mesh, it just won't display properly.

Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Norbyte
The armor visuals will be the biggest hurdle, but maybe you can reuse existing armor models and just slightly resize them to your model (or just make your creation the same size as existing ones.)

Yep, if you could successfully import your mesh you could replace pretty much anything or add new characters/npcs/statics, it's just that the entire mesh import pipeline was so undocumented and unintuitive, starting from the GR2 format to some of the unwritten rules you had to obey for animations (not no mention having to swap normal map channels ...), that it was pretty hard to make things work. It didn't help that the editor doesn't really tell you what's wrong with your mesh, it just won't display properly.

Someone should send that to Larian, it's an important issue. They have to release a help wiki of some sort if they want this to come up ok. The easier to mod a game is, the longer it stays relevant and selling (Bethesda has been selling us the same game for almost 8 years now and thanks to mods it doesn't get old)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Norbyte
I have to agree that there are some things that are _very_ hard to use/get used to in Blender. Some of their UI design decisions are truly puzzling to me, there is probably some logic to it though that I can't see yet smile

I'm wondering if Blender's interface was based on... er... I forget its name now: Openlook? Whatever it was that Sun used in the '80s before they finally replaced it with Motif. I mean Motif wasn't very attractive but at least it was fairly sane.

Someone should send that to Larian, it's an important issue. They have to release a help wiki of some sort if they want this to come up ok. The easier to mod a game is, the longer it stays relevant and selling (Bethesda has been selling us the same game for almost 8 years now and thanks to mods it doesn't get old)

Pretty sure it's more than eight years, I'm still using basically the same techniques I used in Morrowind. biggrin And even then it wasn't new, from what I understand.

I did like using Construction Set: although there was a learning curve, it was really pretty straightforward overall. My only genuine gripe with it is that it crashed all the bloody time. I mean even more than the games themselves.

J'aime le fromage.
N
addict
addict
N

I believe they're aware of it.

I've been mentally comparing the features of the TES Construction Set and the D:OS (EE) editors, and the big differences I can see are ease of use and the (lack of) proper model import support. The UI of construction set looked like a cobbled together mess, however even in that mess somehow you could find what you wanted to do, and almost everything was doable via the UI.

Eg. in CK, adding a new weapon was basically one dialog that you had to fill in. In D:OS, you need to edit the weapon stats file, optionally the equipment stats file, create a new resource for each texture, create a material instance and bind the textures to shader parameters, recompile materials, create a new resource for the model, create a bullet collision file, bind the material to the model, create a new root template, bind the stats and model to the root template, etc, all of which are in different dialogs, and the order of doing things is really not obvious for a first-timer. It is also really easy to crash the editor by referencing a not-yet-compiled material and so on.

The editor can do a _lot_ of things, but many of the workflows are really non-obvious, underdocumented, and consist of a lot of steps. This "separation of tasks" exists for a reason of course, which is added flexibility (eg. it allows reuse of materials, texture parameters, stats instead of having to redefine them each time; it also allows you to create custom shaders for models, which is pretty great if you know what you're doing), but at the same time it makes common modding tasks like "add my custom chair to the game" so much more difficult than it needs to be.

The same could be said of the scripting system, it's pretty powerful, but it's really different from most scripting languages/tools out there and it takes time to get used to the way it works.

Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The editor can do a _lot_ of things, but many of the workflows are really non-obvious, underdocumented, and consist of a lot of steps. This "separation of tasks" exists for a reason of course, which is added flexibility (eg. it allows reuse of materials, texture parameters, stats instead of having to redefine them each time; it also allows you to create custom shaders for models, which is pretty great if you know what you're doing), but at the same time it makes common modding tasks like "add my custom chair to the game" so much more difficult than it needs to be.

I have a HUGE list of things to prepare/model so that sounds really scary.
I hope they make a comprehensive and complete wiki or documentation....

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't think GR2 in itself is the reason barely any mods for D:OS 1 exist, the fact that we couldn't actually MOD the vanilla campaign without some REALLY dirty hax was the primary reason. Some people managed to do that, but it was never a clean modding affair. Doing your own thing was always possible, both for meshes and scripts... but at that point maybe you should be making your own game in Unity instead, not just is it infinitely EASIER it's also much quicker. And those are 2 words I should never have to write in relation to modding a game.

As for GR2, as long as they provide us an IMPORTER (or actual source scene files, with GR2 SDK) and not just an EXPORTER we are good, but they will probably give us an exporter and wonder why nobody makes anything with that...

Hint: To export characters you need to import and bind the games actual IK skeleton and bone grouping/naming/structure/tree, in GR2 SDK this is very very easy, it's actually the only reason anyone ever uses GR2 far as I know) without that SDK plugin it's a manual job, that means 8+ hours per (new) character mesh you wanna convert to D:OS 2, new weapons and especially hair meshes are a nightmare within nightmares. Since those bind to specific bones, arm skeleton was imported with them (it's done automatically in the GR2 SDK I think) this however means if you change the skeleton you literally have to remake all the weapons yourself..... and since you don't have the GR2 SDK within MAX you can not easily do it automatically

Anyhow... just having a GR2 exporter is entirely useless for character additions, new enemies, weapons, body and hair styles etc. Anything where you need to adhere to IK and bone regulations you are gonna suffer hard from GR2 inflicted issues.

I have a hardcore "meh" feeling about modding D:OS 2 visually to be honest. I hope the editor for editing campaign and scripts won't be basically like creating an entirely new game... That Bard mod gives me great hope that we will see more skills and more perks at least, without haxing the entire base game.

Ps.: and obviously the only mod I'd wanna make is making the classless D:OS 2 system into a class-based system. But we'll have to see. I am fluttery as hell when it comes to games and where to put my attention ;p

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 27/07/17 04:50 AM.
Noctro Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
Hint: To export characters you need to import and bind the games actual IK skeleton and bone grouping/naming/structure/tree, in GR2 SDK this is very very easy, it's actually the only reason anyone ever uses GR2 far as I know) without that SDK plugin it's a manual job, that means 8+ hours per (new) character mesh you wanna convert to D:OS 2, new weapons and especially hair meshes are a nightmare within nightmares. Since those bind to specific bones, arm skeleton was imported with them (it's done automatically in the GR2 SDK I think) this however means if you change the skeleton you literally have to remake all the weapons yourself..... and since you don't have the GR2 SDK within MAX you can not easily do it automatically

Anyhow... just having a GR2 exporter is entirely useless for character additions, new enemies, weapons, body and hair styles etc. Anything where you need to adhere to IK and bone regulations you are gonna suffer hard from GR2 inflicted issues.

I guess that when you say "new weapons" you mean new TYPES of weapons, that require new animations, like a pair of nunchakus or a pistol. But creating a new sword, or a new axe shouldn't be that troubling as long as you respect the proportions and size because animation will be absolutely the same.

but at that point maybe you should be making your own game in Unity instead, not just is it infinitely EASIER it's also much quicker. And those are 2 words I should never have to write in relation to modding a game.

Modding a game should be easy, that's what keeps it alive and relevant, we already gave Skyrim as an example, but you can think of any source engine game, tabletop simulator, original deus ex, or, closer to our goals, the first Neverwinter Nights or the first Vampire the Masquerade (Redemption, though bloodlines also had lots of mods that helped it to have a very active fanbase)

I have a hardcore "meh" feeling about modding D:OS 2 visually to be honest. I hope the editor for editing campaign and scripts won't be basically like creating an entirely new game... That Bard mod gives me great hope that we will see more skills and more perks at least, without haxing the entire base game.

Well I can't be the only one that wants it, some of us have campaigns based in entirely different worlds and I (f. ex, amongst other things) need to have werewolves, or a giant starfish, or a nasty imp (familiar of a powerful lich mage) , just to name a few. So creating a system like this, saying that "you can do your own D&D campaigns in the divinity engine" and not giving tools to create a comfortable pipeline is just a bad move. Granny3d may make rigging and animation way easier but since most people won't have it, it's logical to think that you have to make a way for people create their animations in Maya/Max and import them to the game. Yes, rigging and animating is a slow process, I am aware of that, but that's an unskippable obstacle even making a game from scratch so, it's logical to at least provide a way to not making even more difficult to put those models and animations in the game. If you make and animate...i don't know, a kickass new golem design but putting it into the game is another task almost as difficult as making that golem itself...that would be a little discouraging, right? Most people won't even bother to create anything.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r

I guess that when you say "new weapons" you mean new TYPES of weapons, that require new animations, like a pair of nunchakus or a pistol. But creating a new sword, or a new axe shouldn't be that troubling as long as you respect the proportions and size because animation will be absolutely the same.

At least in D:OS 1 it really was "ALL" meshes in any way related to characters, weapons, hairs, heads, bodies, armors* that you absolutely needed the importer/converter for to even do anything *to* (and armors had the extra quirk that their textures replaced part of the body texture, because of how the bodies were colored (by shader..) this is not a bad thing, but Larian due to how they coded that destroyed ANY possibility to import *more* realistic or prettier body skins or faces.

The only meshes that didn't require this voodoo, were scene stuff for the map editor, in that case you could export from Max and assorted just fine convert to GR2 and have something more or less working... until you tried to create a collision mesh that the map maker could actually use to create proper collisions with... then it got complicated, and again, with absolutely ZERO info from Larian how to do that it was painful to create the workflow for this. And due to flipped color channels (on normal maps of all things...) you also had tons of extra fun after clicking "export" as you never could know whether your exported mesh had a working collision (for the map-maker) or not until you tried it...

If you peruse the topic in the D:OS 1 forums about art stuff and converter/exporter/importer you can see what a pain EVERYTHING was thanks to GR2 file format and the idiosyncrasies that you suffered wherever you went because of it. I doubt this will change in D:OS 2... Larian uses Granny and, thus far, refused to give us source files with the RIG intact and thus, GR2 files remain an obstacle with no way around it.

Worth noting that the only reason armor meshes for Skyrim exploded was that someone created an export ready "template" scene that was part of a tutorial that ended with that mesh in the game. It was involved, but it worked if you followed it. I don't wanna be all negative but unless Larian takes modding seriously this will be a repeat of D:OS 1, at least for the 3D pipeline.

Namely for modders, there isn't one (a defined 3d pipeline)

Ps.: I meant that modding D:OS is *neither* easy nor fast vs creating art in Unity and linking it to controllers and what not where that is super easy, and instant (drag and drop, literally) . Made quite a logical fault in that paragraph wink Obviously making a full game in Unity isn't easy nor fast, but it's a lot easier and faster than modding D:OS 1....

And believe me, I want you to make big fantastic mods with new scenery, weapons and characters and enemies in D:OS 2 which is why I want Larian to notice that we need more than just an exporter... we need the source files for the RIG and example templates for each element (Body/HEAD/Weapon/HAIR/ENEMY/ANIMATION........) and then we could work with just an exporter fine*. But exporter to GR2 without any templates, would not get you any closer to bringing your imagined campaign to life.

The pipeline, as OP said, is undefined and opaque. Same as it was for D:OS 1. And if this remains this way up to release, then modding will not get the boost that I most definitely want it to have. More mods for D:OS 2 means my backer money finds dividends many times over, and not just in D:OS 2 as a self contained experience. ^^

PPs.: And yes, I absolutely agree, if modding becomes too difficult then that scares away all initial interest and hype. We still get some mods (maybe) but it would be a a great time consuming effort by skilled individuals that grind through all the barriers. And the more difficult it is, the higher the risk that modders lose interest. (Can't blame them for this either, people have lives and jobs and families to care for)

So yes, modding needs to be simple, but also the 3d pipeline needs to be defined properly. It needs to be part of the actual editor for D:OS 2 actually, and as long as Larian uses Granny I don't see how they could do this without getting into trouble with Granny

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 02/08/17 12:54 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Well I can't be the only one that wants it, some of us have campaigns based in entirely different worlds and I (f. ex, amongst other things) need to have werewolves, or a giant starfish, or a nasty imp (familiar of a powerful lich mage) , just to name a few. So creating a system like this, saying that "you can do your own D&D campaigns in the divinity engine" and not giving tools to create a comfortable pipeline is just a bad move.

I'm with you. I would like to use creature coming from the D&D world and my first idea was to extract models/texture from NWN and NWN2 and import them in D:OS 2. I hope this will be somehow possible ( especially cause i'm bad at 3d modeling )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard