Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
I understand removing bodybuilding and other saving throws simplifies the mechanics and removes certain RNG, but the new system does not feel complete.
I strongly believe a system more similar to Path of Exile's disable mechanics is very effective and intuitive (Skip the Recovery mechanics, unnecessary).
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Stun

TLDR;
1) Make it still possible, but much less likely to apply disables through armor/shields. This already discourages the use of disables enough to open a fight, but leaves a choice when there is no option.

2) Make disable duration based on constitution or % or max hp taken. Constitution feels much less important in this game as it is. This mechanic will also make all disables applied on a shielded target minimal duration, since it will do less or 0 hp damage.

Furthermore, I dont feel the removal of all RNG in this part of the game is meaningful. There is still plenty of unpredictable factor, for example, when you cast rain or break a water barrel, you wont know how the water pattern will spill out.

Last edited by koboldofthesea; 22/07/17 06:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
I'm not sure if Larian is planning to rework disables or armor, but I'm modding in a resist system that's somewhat similar to what you're suggesting. Armor, constitution, and perseverance increase resist chance, while low health, critical strikes, and high primary attributes on the attacker decrease resist chance. While I currently have armor completely block disables like stun and knockdown (which I've significantly altered to not be complete disables but still debilitating by reducing AP Max/Recovery), I might change that. Armor doesn't completely block various other statuses like burning or crippled though.

While damage itself per se isn't a factor in status application, a high damage attack will decrease armor and vitality, which reduces resist chance, so it kind of works how you're suggesting.

I don't have status duration affected by resists, but that's an interesting idea. There are currently some limitations with how scripting works that makes that a bit difficult to play with, but I'll look into it. If I make armor not completely block hard CC, I'll definitely make CC a 1 turn duration maximum on armored targets.

A
addict
addict
A
On the one hand, yay! Mods....this is why PC gaming is great.

On the other hand, gah, why should we need mods to make a game experience feel complete?

M
stranger
stranger
M
I prefer the old school system.
A mob lambda = 10% chance to resist stun, 10% chance to resist bleeding etc ...
A boss = 80% chance to resist stun, 75% chance to resist bleeding etc ... And why not 125% fire resistance to make it invulnerable to a school of magic.

Currently, once the armor is destroyed, we can chain endless stun a boss, I find it ridiculous and unreliable.

K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Yeah some individual status resists would be nice for these cases, particularly bosses as mentioned.

In the end, I guess what I would prefer is they bring back the saving throws in some form, but tie them each intuitively to other stats and resists.

In addition they shouldn't feel locked to only altering CHANCE of success, but play with duration and values as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by koboldofthesea
Yeah some individual status resists would be nice for these cases, particularly bosses as mentioned.

Those already exist for certain bosses void worm can' be knock down etc. so this is not absent from the game.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard