Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#607475 14/08/17 02:22 PM
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm using a gtx 1060 GDDR5 6gb, 16gb of ram, and i7-6700HQ CPU 2.6GHz.

Playing on ultra, which is what the game auto detected, the frame rate drops to 48 fps frequently in some areas, and rarely stays at 60 fps outside of dungeons. Using certain abilities like teleport cause massive frame rate drops, and then shoot back up to around 55-60. Lowering the graphical details doesn't really do anything, and I noticed no real difference in the frame rate from very low quality to ultra.

Loving the game to death, and I've put 257 hours into it by the time of posting this, but I am a little concerned about how the game will be performance wise on release.

Will the game's performance be more optimized on release?

Last edited by Damashi; 14/08/17 06:07 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
If the framerate doesnt change no matter your changes, its most likely a CPU bottleneck. At what resolution do you play?

I just checked, and i can confirm that. Running the game at absolut minimum settings at 480p at around 150fps on Lady vengeance. Then i limited the CPU (going from 3.7GHz to 2.4GHz), and ended up with 100fps. So going down in clockspeed did have the same effect in fps --> CPU bottleneck.

It also seems like the game itself doesnt care about me having 8 threads (my cpu has around 25% load while playing) and instead only seems to use 1 or 2. It would be nice to see the cpu performance tested with fewer cores, but sadly i cant disable my cores without unlocking my BIOS.

So yeah, i hope multicore performance will be better on release.

My Specs (Yes its a laptop, Yes may system isnt overheating):
- I7 6820HK (running at 3.7GHz)
- 16GB RAM (DDR4 2400MHz)
- GTX1080 (running at around 2000MHz)

[Insert something funny here]
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kcnik
If the framerate doesnt change no matter your changes, its most likely a CPU bottleneck. At what resolution do you play?

I just checked, and i can confirm that. Running the game at absolut minimum settings at 480p at around 150fps on Lady vengeance. Then i limited the CPU (going from 3.7GHz to 2.4GHz), and ended up with 100fps. So going down in clockspeed did have the same effect in fps --> CPU bottleneck.

It also seems like the game itself doesnt care about me having 8 threads (my cpu has around 25% load while playing) and instead only seems to use 1 or 2. It would be nice to see the cpu performance tested with fewer cores, but sadly i cant disable my cores without unlocking my BIOS.

1920 x 1080

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Noticed slightly better performance after turning on v-sync, and capping the frame rate at 75 instead of 60. it still dips to 48 when certain spells are cast, or moving the camera suddenly in certain areas like the area in front of the Shrine to the Seven.

Last edited by Damashi; 15/08/17 11:42 AM.
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

Is there something I can do on my end to fix this issue, so I can get a constant 60 in all areas, or is this something I'll have to hope gets fixed by the full release?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Damashi

Is there something I can do on my end to fix this issue, so I can get a constant 60 in all areas, or is this something I'll have to hope gets fixed by the full release?

I dont think there is much you can do, except hoping that performance will be improved on release.

But here are some things you can try that may help a bit:
- give the games process high priority
- change which cores the games process is allowed to use
- check your temperatures (i assume you play on a notebook because of the mobile processor). Download Hardware Info (doesnt need to be installed) and watch your temperatures, if they get too high, the CPU or GPU dont run as fast as they could with better cooling
- closing everything thats not needed for the game to run

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Damashi

I dont think there is much you can do, except hoping that performance will be improved on release.

But here are some things you can try that may help a bit:
- give the games process high priority
- change which cores the games process is allowed to use
- check your temperatures (i assume you play on a notebook because of the mobile processor). Download Hardware Info (doesnt need to be installed) and watch your temperatures, if they get too high, the CPU or GPU dont run as fast as they could with better cooling
- closing everything thats not needed for the game to run

Changed the games process to high priority, and i'm still noticing the same frame rate drops in certain areas, but I am getting 70-75 fps when Im not in those areas (still caping the frame rate at 75). Laptop runs about 77-82c when running DOS2, which is pretty normal for gaming laptops. How can I change what cores the games process is allowed to use?

Last edited by Damashi; 26/08/17 02:59 PM.
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Also still no change in fps from ultra to very low.

journeyman
journeyman
Temperatures are fine.

Just gave the game a different processing cores .... and it performs worse. So while it uses mulitple cores it seems like it cant use them properly.

That there is no change between ultra and very low is simply due to the fact that its not the gpu that limits the framerate. Its the something else (my guess is the CPU).

Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hoping to get some confirmation from Raze that the game will better utilize all the cores a pc might have on release.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Just bought DOS2 on Steam and I was hoping that my laptop with i7 6700HQ and GTX960m would run it at 1080p 60fps, but it's more like 35-40fps inside the ship. DOS1 runs 60fps no problem on this machine.

I set the frame cap to 30 with everything maxed out and it seems smooth enough. I really hope that the final release has some extra optimizations, but at this point I kind of doubt it.

Support
Support

There have been optimizations made since the last update, but I don't know if that includes significant changes to multithreading.

Raze #608154 28/08/17 10:37 AM
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

There have been optimizations made since the last update, but I don't know if that includes significant changes to multithreading.

Is it possible there may be a patch for it sometime a little after launch?

Support
Support

I don't have an overview of what the programmers are doing, but that is possible if the planned optimizations are not all implemented before release.
Of course any performance issues in the release version will also be looked at, assuming people contact support with the relevant information and a dxdiag report.

Raze #608163 28/08/17 11:39 AM
Damashi Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

I don't have an overview of what the programmers are doing, but that is possible if the planned optimizations are not all implemented before release.
Of course any performance issues in the release version will also be looked at, assuming people contact support with the relevant information and a dxdiag report.

Thank you for the response!

O
stranger
stranger
O
hey there,

i registered only because of this issue. i bought the game on steam a few days ago and i also have big fps drops (to like 40fps from 60) and massive stuttering because the framesync is bad with everything below 60fps.

in contrary to many others (it seems) i've a vast experience with this stuff and therefore i know why this is happening. still hoping this will be improved though !

its without the slightest doubt a cpu limit. a hard one ! when i walk into fort joy, one core of my cpu is getting completely maxed out @99% and the framerate is dropping hard, especially at the area with the shrine before the camp kitchen.

my cpu is a 2500k @4ghz and because the game only runs on 2 cores it seems (one core is @99% in fort joy, the other is ~@70%) the framerate drops. and its not fun to play it like that with a horrible framesync and stuttering all the time, even if the framerate only drops to 55fps from 60 :( my gpu is a 980ti and its far from being maxed out always !

unfortunately i had identical problems with the first original sin game (the classic version). in the town in the first game my framerate droped to like 35fps or something like that. with the same pc exept a worse gpu back in 2014. the reason was the same.

larian hasn't done anything at all in terms of technical quality unfortunately :( no engine improvements at all within the last 3 years. will this ever change ?

it me it seems that the geometry maxes out one core very fast. i killed everyone in the camp kitchen because griff attacked me after the one quest and with all of them dead the framerate still dropped identically as before.. before that i thought it maybe might be the AI thread thats maxing out, but it seems to be the thread thats processing the entire world geometry ?!? if thats so, i don't even want to know what will happen later on in a town etc...

please (i know, nothing will ever change, otherwise it would have changed within the past 3 years) finally fix this abysmal one threaded performance ! playing it on 60fps outside of fort joy is supernice and the game is superb, but this shit is killing it for me :(

best regards
oxa1900

edit: i was so fed up with this that i tried literally every trick in the book and nothing helps exept forcing realtime cpu priority ! everything else made it even worse (changed everything in the game's config back and forth and nothing made it better. actually everything made it worse.

the only thing that helped with the stuttering and the bad framerate was to put the process to realtime priority.. idk if this will make it instable (possible) but i'll have to see... still in the end it needs fixing from larian. some optimization would really be nice after waiting years for this ;)

edit2: actually it only worked once.. what a joke this engine is.. it always was :( the first time i set it to realtime it actually changed the cpu usage completely and all my cores were @70+% and i had like 10fps more on the exact same spot.. second time i changed it, it didn't work anymore and the cpu utalization remained the same as before... this is so frustrating -.-

Last edited by oxa1900; 23/09/17 10:53 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I can confirm the performance issues. When i first go into the game, it is maxing either 2 or 3 of my cpu cores (i5 4460@ 3.2Ghz, GTX 1060 6GB, 8GB or RAM). What actually helps to spread the load on all cores is minimize the game, go to processes, check the games .exe and set the affinity to only 1 core, accept, and then check the box to use all cores again, go back into the game - and all cores are utilized. Looks like the game launches without proper multithreading(when i launch it, it maxes out 2 cores on loading screen, when i actually go into the game, usually core0 is at 10% and the rest is at 80-100%). But even after that when the load is spread somewhat evenly across all cores, it still tanks hard in places like fort joys market - when there are many NPCs etc. All cores 80-100%, fps drops hard. Very low preset or Ultra - the difference is maybe 3-5fps. And after hearing that the performance gets even worse in act2, im scared :P A performance patch would be really cool Larian.

O
stranger
stranger
O
[quote=SkeletON] And after hearing that the performance gets even worse in act2, im scared :P A performance patch would be really cool Larian. [/quote]

REALLY ?? oh damn i will puke if it gets worse than it is right now.. its already impossible to enjoy the game with the stuttery mess it is -.- the first one was the same but only in the city the fps dropped.. i won't buy the next larian game if they won't finally optimize it because i'm sick to death to play games with heavy stutters etc only because they still run on one core in 2017... what a joke :(:(:(

Last edited by oxa1900; 25/09/17 07:22 AM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
yeah so they are just ignoring this issue.. i knew it from the very beginning. nothing changed since original sin 1 and nothing will change regarding the performance because it most likely would need a big engine rewrite..

i hope at least they will rewrite this absymal engine for original sin 3.. otherwise i definitely won't buy it !

V
stranger
stranger
V
Bumping this thread since I have the same problems that have been described by the other people in here, specifically oxa1900's first post. I'm hoping this will receive due attention as it is preventing me from really enjoying the game when I'm constantly being taken out of it by annoying performance issues.

My system specs:

i5 3570k @ 3.2 Ghz
8 GB RAM
HD 7950 3GB

Game usually runs at 60 on auto-detected ultra settings but in some spots on the map the game just seems to eat my CPU and I lose 15-20 fps. It can go from 60 to 45 in places like the beach where you fight the turtles at the start of fort Joy or the square where you meet Ifan.

If I turn shadows off completely (gives me a big ~20 FPS boost) the problem of huge, seemingly random framerate drops persists. Things like micro-stutter when rotating the camera are also a bit of a nuisance.

TL;DR: Can manage +60 FPS through lower settings, but it won't ever stay there due to random 15-20 FPS drops in certain places. Please fix if possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard