Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#608663 01/09/17 06:15 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I posted this on Reddit, but thought I would post it here also because I am genuinely curious.

"I use to love games like Icewind Dale, Arcanum, Bauldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights etc because when playing these games in single player it felt like a single player adventure.

When I played Divinity Original, while the gameplay and dialogue was fantastic, it didn't feel like a single player adventure, it felt more like a co-op game with tacked on single player.

One of things that bugged me, and I believe will still bug me because its in the new game from what i have seen in game play videos on Yt, is that you can have converastions with your followers where you get to choose what to say from each side, and you also get to play as any of your followers, and talk to anybody and say what you want your followers to say. I never liked this because it took away from the experience and it felt too much like a choose your own adventure - quite literally.

The reasons I loved older RPGS in the first place, and indeed pillars of eternity and others have come out, is because you are the hero and you impact your followers by either having them love or hate you. You don't decide what your followers will say, because they are their own minds, you don't talk to other people with your followers because they had conversations themselves, your followers would even talk to one another.

This game has so much magic in it, incredible graphics, amazing freedom (dialogue freedom that im moaning about aside) and just wonderful characters and dialogue that its let down - for me at least- by putting too much control in your hands on what your adventure will be.

I want this game to feel like a single player adventure, anyway to acomplish this with number 2?"

Any new information that will help solve this problem for me would be most welcome. I hope I am missing something here and that the beta videos I saw have changed : )

Thanks

K
stranger
stranger
K
If I remember correctly, Divinity: Original Sin (maybe EE only) has an option at character creation to set AI controls, with different personalities to chose from, even one that agrees with you all the time to skip the RPS mini game. Esentially making one of your PCs as an NPC.

I don't know anything about D:OS2 though, but I would be surprised if they left out this option from the sequel.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Khayness
If I remember correctly, Divinity: Original Sin (maybe EE only) has an option at character creation to set AI controls, with different personalities to chose from, even one that agrees with you all the time to skip the RPS mini game. Esentially making one of your PCs as an NPC.

I don't know anything about D:OS2 though, but I would be surprised if they left out this option from the sequel.

That was a terrible alternative. They will either always agree with you or always disagree with you. That's not a personality, that's a brainwashed NPC that you have full control over.

Last edited by SgtSilock; 01/09/17 06:55 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by SgtSilock

That was a terrible alternative. They will either always agree with you or always disagree with you. That's not a personality, that's a brainwashed NPC that you have full control over.

They have multiple other personalities to chose from than the Loyal/Contrarian.

Originally Posted by SgtSilock
Originally Posted by Khayness

Simply put, you can't always have the game you want tweaked down to the tiny last opinioned detail. If you liked those games then go play those games or games inspired by one of them (like Tides of Numenera or Pillars of Eternity). Divinity Original Sin is not one of them.

Frankly, I think you're just looking at it from the wrong perspective. I think this game is ironically better played as a single player game but can thankfully be fun as a co op game.

You're however not playing a single character; you're playing a pair team, so you have two "main" characters. Everyone else does what you want; they have their own personalities and their own way of looking at the world (hence the persuasion mini events).

This allows you to roleplay your duo however you want, which in terms of singleplayer I greatly appreciate and it's a unique story perspective you don't see often. I can RP my characters as a discordant good guy bad girl duo, as best buddies, as reluctant allies, and not have the game decide for me, which is fantastic because in fantasy literature (novels, mostly) the duo team trope is much beloved and entertaining if done well, but you rarely see it in games without the story/devs decided what kind of relationship you'll have with your partner.

So I fully disagree with you in that it feels like singleplayer was tacked on and, to be blunt, see this mostly as nit picking, but I doubt you'll ever see it as anything else (this is not meant as an insult) because it's a perspective thing. So I don't think it's the game's fault, it's just how you see things.

My only suggestion would be to play something else if it really bugs you, otherwise just try to see your two duos as both being your characters and roleplay how you'd like their relationship to be. Might be tough if you like to get into your character, I know, but yeah, that's it.

Maybe in Divinity 2 just play alone with one character and one man army if you can?

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard