Next Thread
Print Thread
#608604 01/09/17 12:28 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Playing some of the early access while getting pumped for launch. Seems like the ranger is pretty weak so far.

I was thinking of using ranger and polymorph to keep the high ground for bonus damage, but it seems like its still not great.

Does it seem to get better?

veteran
veteran
If they did not change to much, ranger is pretty much the strongest and safest playstyle.

old hand
old hand
What exactly were your concerns about the ranger?

BTW I don't speak from the view of the people who play the "neverending ap generation" builds, stating "xy is op, nerf it". I played a normal ranger with Ranger abilities in most of my playthroughs, so no Adrenaline, no Skin Graft and so on.

That said, in my opinion the ranger is in good shape although there are stronger "classes" maybe. If only one char of my group survived during an ongoing fight I would not like him/her necessarily to be the ranger. But a ranger is a very good and mighty add to a physical damage based group.

Last edited by geala; 01/09/17 12:55 PM.
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Ranger is amazing. It can deal huge tons of damage while being safe.
We had one in our group and he was definitively the strongest of us all.

I don't know what makes you think they are weak.

veteran
veteran
Like all physical based classes ranger depends heavily on the weapon he uses. At the start your weapon sucks, that's is why the ranger might feel weak at the start.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/171389752

At 00:58:15 you can see Elemental Arrowheads -- which seems like a reworked version of Elemental Ranger.

Elemental Arrowheads
1 AP Cost / 4 Turn Cooldown
Target a surface in melee radius. For one turn, elemental damage matching that surface is added to your ranged weapon attacks and ranged weapon-based skills.
Requires 1 in Huntsman

It says for one turn, but the buff shows two -- which is either a bug or skill means the duration lasts for one turn after it is first cast. The EA version of Elemental Ranger adds damage based on the surface the target is standing on. The damage isn't much and only works with basic attacks (from my experience anyways). If this is indeed the reworked Elemental Ranger and you also take into consideration the changes made to Executioner and various skills -- this could be a really good pick for rangers. Use a poison coated Arrow Storm on a fire surface or (this is a leap) use a cursed surface/Ricochet.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I only got to level 4 or so, and I think I inadvertently skipped a lot in fort joy when I teleported out. So I didn't have great gear or abilities. But the tank was basically doing equivalent damage and the backstab rogue was easily doubling or tripling it.

Is memory needed much? Feel like I'm already split with Wits and Finesse. To add Memory and Con might get spread thin.

Also, any recommended talents/skills, etc?

apprentice
apprentice
Well, to be honest every class seems weak when compared to rogue atm :P

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard