Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pros:

- Heal from Poison
- Immune to Death Fog
- Immune to Bleeding
- Free Lockpicks
- Custom Origin Undead -- Elf/Dwarf/Human/Lizard Undead
- Mask that shapeshifts into other races

...and probably the most broken thing of all (still being balanced, and I bet there will still be ways to break the game on release with this skill)

- Play Dead

Cons:

- You have to hide your face (man, that's hard /s)
- You take damage from Healing Spells (you mean, IF the enemy has a healing spell they would instead use it on me instead of potentially themselves? LOL, okay)

_________

Uh, ya, I'll take undead.

Last edited by Kresky; 02/09/17 05:02 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually free lockpick doesn't even count. You can have 100+ lock pick from the first act alone.

For the rest ? Yeah seems very potent and to be fair some of the easier build in DOS1 was a zombie party.
So it's possible it will be the same again but that doesn't really concerns me.

For the healing, the heals are very strong and pass through the magic armor. A proficient healer might be able to kill you fairly fast. I actually do heal undead as I play.

I'd wager that the most common enemy to have healing spells will be Magisters -- or just humans in general. However, there are many other types of enemies out there beasts, undead, voidlings, etc. Hell, even among humanoids -- not all of them are carry healing spells (Warrior and Rogue archetypes).

Also, the enemy that has healing spells (the healer -- the most lethal) would have to take an aggressive positioning and spend their healing resources on you undead characters. The fact that healing spells bypass magical armor is not a total loss. Why? -- because you still have your magical armor! So unless they one shot your ass or spend many of their healing resources on you -- combat will still be normal.

*By the way, the lockpicks thing -- dude, I get it, I know! A bonus is a bonus though. Save those nails for some snow boots or something lol.

Last edited by Kresky; 02/09/17 05:33 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am not debating the undead seems to be very strong, what I say however is you can die very easily if they have heals.

And not only healers can have heals, they can have scrolls and archers do have first aid, and some skills bypass armors (Sawtooth knife) and maybe some other skills bypass magic armor in the full release ?

In the end, Undead is a pick that requires some risk/benefit analysis -- but I think it's totally worth it. If Undead didn't have the drawback of Zombie then they would be totally bonkers.

Zec Offline
While I agree that lockpicks in general are kind of "meh" rolleyes bonus, I agree that it is still bonus. (I myself had more then 100+ before end act 1 with my rouge)
But still spells like "healing scrolls" and similar while they might be powerful on first view, they are scrolls one use only, In general while I do like undeads but they do seem to have a bit too much bonus with getting bonuses off other races.
I mean all other races have their drawbacks but dont get other races buggs. Undeads get other races buffs but dont have drawbacks I mean it is hard seeing that player is undead unless he walks around totally nude without any armor. And I doubt any player walks around without armor. There needs to be more balancing on undeads cause they seem too strong.
.....hmmmm undead Konan the skeleton rpg003

made in Betanija
enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually no race has drawback but the undead.
Other races just have different bonuses but none has a disadvantage.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lich
It's honestly not as bad as you're making it out to be. The dev team are simply following the rules of D&D-styled undead with this one, and it's obvious that a lot of Div's systems pay homage to D&D, so I can't see how this really surprises anyone. It's not going to end mixed party play between the living and undead, it just means that you'll need to use different tactics to keep each of your party members 'alive' which adds a whole new layer of depth to gameplay which I find amusing and interesting.

Undead have a lot of perks that the living don't have. I think it balances things out quite a bit that they're harmed by divine or 'positive-energy' healing magic. In my opinion, if this system poses a barrier for you, and you can't adapt to a game's ruleset, then simply mod it out and play how you want to play. That's what I'm doing with racial stat bonuses if I'm able.

But there are no negative energy spells to use for healing, alas.

A
A
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Lich
It's honestly not as bad as you're making it out to be. The dev team are simply following the rules of D&D-styled undead with this one, and it's obvious that a lot of Div's systems pay homage to D&D, so I can't see how this really surprises anyone. It's not going to end mixed party play between the living and undead, it just means that you'll need to use different tactics to keep each of your party members 'alive' which adds a whole new layer of depth to gameplay which I find amusing and interesting.

Undead have a lot of perks that the living don't have. I think it balances things out quite a bit that they're harmed by divine or 'positive-energy' healing magic. In my opinion, if this system poses a barrier for you, and you can't adapt to a game's ruleset, then simply mod it out and play how you want to play. That's what I'm doing with racial stat bonuses if I'm able.

But there are no negative energy spells to use for healing, alas.

isnt that exactly what necromancy is though? dark healing thru lifesteal and blood stealing. which works with undead btw

Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Adrianna
isnt that exactly what necromancy is though? dark healing thru lifesteal and blood stealing. which works with undead btw

I think that necromancy itself is considered only as dark magic to raise dead and mess with ghosts. But dark healing and blood stealing I think that is more related towards warlock spells and magic, but then again I think that all of them are generally called either witchcraft or demonology.

made in Betanija
A
A
Originally Posted by Zec

I think that necromancy itself is considered only as dark magic to raise dead and mess with ghosts. But dark healing and blood stealing I think that is more related towards warlock spells and magic, but then again I think that all of them are generally called either witchcraft or demonology.

i was talking as what the game calls it... since he said that there was no negative magic healing or something... which is wrong.

enthusiast
enthusiast
i was talking as what the game calls it... since he said that there was no negative magic healing or something... which is wrong.

I agree with you I just think he says there is no Dark Energy damage type like we could see in DnD or Neverwinter Nights games.

So unless they add other damage type in DOS2 like they did with Tenebrium in the first game. No you don't have a specific dark magic damage type nor you have a Light Magic type.

It is just their specialization that makes the difference.

Originally Posted by Zec
That is what I say I mean there is no logic to made em influenced by bleed, I mean from where would they supposed to bleed???

Technically speaking, it's a fantasy world so they can do whatever they want. For instance, all you'd have to do (simple showcase) is write lore that, like vampires, undead are sustained by blood or life, maybe they have grotesque sacs attached to them and they go collect blood, ect, ect. Obviously that would go against current lore but you could also argue a new breed of undead with story context, blah blah blah. My point is that anything possible and the only real consideration is allowing it to make internal sense via good writing.

Also, blood is made in bone marrow. Irreverent, but wanted to point that out.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard