Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
First off, it seems pointless to pick a character with a talent that you can already pick at the start off the game with anybody, unless they replace the optional zombie talent with something different. Second, the fact that healing pierces through armor makes undead very easy to counter, especially considering most healing spells are ranged. In particular, first aid being useable on enemies is insanely broken in this situation. Finally, if its anything like zombies in EA, since you bleed poison and you need it to heal, zombies are also very weak to fire. All of this just so you can heal from poison. Anyone else think the undeads talent needs a buff or a rework?

S
S
It is hard to talk of the final balance before the game is out of EA. I am more concerned with a proper lore-based justification for such a feature, because I cannot find it in neither common sense nor mainstream fantasy stereotypes.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I think the most interesting talents are the ones that trade an advantage for a disadvantage.
Zombie/Undead is an interesting one.

You need to do counter-measures to deal with the disadvantage but it also enables some new opportunities.
In practice I never heal, so that

I have no problem with it so long as the damage it makes remains somewhat balanced.
We have yet to know how damage from surfaces scales, if undead also gets healed by acid, what decay or disease does to them, or how much AI will be able to exploit this weakness.

We just don't know enough to claim the disadvantage is too big of a penalty.

addict
addict
I am super okay with it. Nice to have someone who can walk through poison and death fog! I mean that is amazing in it self. I keep reading poison complaints, but no one mentions the awesome ability to enter death fog. I plan on playing a pure healer/summoner~ just means I have to toss in a poison spell for my undead friends. which is fine to me. Super excited to see what kind of interesting challenges it will bring to party make up.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Sotnik
It is hard to talk of the final balance before the game is out of EA. I am more concerned with a proper lore-based justification for such a feature, because I cannot find it in neither common sense nor mainstream fantasy stereotypes.

I'm surprised you cannot find it in mainstream fantasy stereotypes. It's all over the place, especially in games (both pen & paper and video games). It even has it's own TV Tropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReviveKillsZombie.

As for common sense, it makes sense in game design where you (1) have undead characters, (2) want to allow those characters to heal/repair themselves because the game is not designed around having a finite health pool that can't be replenished, (3) have limited types of "effect" in the game.

Being poisoned is thematically the opposite of being restored. Thought game-play wise any sort of damage over time effect could arguably be the opposite of healing. Would it bother you as much if it wasn't healing vs poison, but light vs dark or something else?

enthusiast
enthusiast
And use finger of death to raise the dead ?

veteran
veteran
That can't work lol

stranger
stranger
As Larian mentioned that most food deals damage to them. Hope that drinking milk still heals them. Because, you know, milk and bones...

A
A
Originally Posted by 626th
As Larian mentioned that most food deals damage to them. Hope that drinking milk still heals them. Because, you know, milk and bones...

yeah but you can poison the food... and then you can eat it.

Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Adrianna

Why not just simply use on yourself? instead spending vial of poison to poison food and then spending that food to heal yourself???

made in Betanija
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zec
Originally Posted by Adrianna

Why not just simply use on yourself? instead spending vial of poison to poison food and then spending that food to heal yourself???

There'll be an item with infinite uses that poisons your food.
Personally I find myself rarely using healing potions and especially food since I always have multiple characters with healing spells so I wouldn't mind 'losing' a couple of healing potions every now and then.

S
S
Originally Posted by BemusedBear

I'm surprised you cannot find it in mainstream fantasy stereotypes. It's all over the place, especially in games (both pen & paper and video games). It even has it's own TV Tropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReviveKillsZombie.

I am ok with damage by healing. I am talking about poison (should have specified). For me, personally, "cursed" is more associated with undead both aesthetically and lore-wise. And, after all, these skeletons could have deserved their own mechanic instead of copying a familiar talent. Given the armour system, 1 self-healing skill/passive would be enough (optionally - complimented with Necromancy skills).

Last edited by Sotnik; 02/09/17 10:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Possibly but that would required a another big revamp of the skills and they don't have infinie time nor money.
Maybe for their next game ?

Originally Posted by BraccusaurusRex
First off, it seems pointless to pick a character with a talent that you can already pick at the start off the game with anybody, unless they replace the optional zombie talent with something different. Second, the fact that healing pierces through armor makes undead very easy to counter, especially considering most healing spells are ranged. In particular, first aid being useable on enemies is insanely broken in this situation. Finally, if its anything like zombies in EA, since you bleed poison and you need it to heal, zombies are also very weak to fire. All of this just so you can heal from poison. Anyone else think the undeads talent needs a buff or a rework?

It's not an eSports game, geeze. Maybe some people will want to do it for the challenge or for the fun? I DOS1 zombie builds were pretty darn powerful mid-late game. So the "why would anyone even pick it when you can just use zombie" is a moot point. Maybe they freaking just want to look like a skeleton, lol.

I don't think zombie needs a rework. That just allows other people to play what they want and still go zombie, i.e. my friend wants to play undead but I want to look like a normal elf so I pick elf and just get zombie so we can all heal from poison.

Choices. That's all it is. You can ignore them if you don't like them. Like I said, this is't an eSports game.

veteran
veteran
Or you use the mask and save one valuable trait points by making the mask let you look like an elf. ^^

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard