Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hi guys,

I'm about to finish the Enhanced Edition warming up for the DOS 2... The thing is that most of my characters have a huge lack of action points when starting each round of combat. For this reason, I have not been able to use some of the most powerful techniques even though I had lvl 5 or higher in the hability...

What are the main stats that you need to train in order to solve this isse??

Moreover, do you think that having lots of action points will make the fight easier to win?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Actions points are no longer increased by stats and the only way to have more is to either wait your turn to keep the remaining ap (you are still capped at 6 ap max if you do so) or having skills or traits giving you ap.

Adrenaline is a scoundrel skill giving you 2 ap now but next turn you will only gain 3 ap instead of the regular 4.
Flash Sacrifice the racial skill from the elves gives you one ap.
Executioner the trait (you need 1 wafare to pick it), gives you 2 ap when you finish off someone.
Haste (available in Pyro and Huntsman spec) allows you to gain 5 ap per turn instead of 4.

I think these are the main skill in EA to have more ap.
Maybe in the game some items will give more ap or whatnot.

Now be aware the skills are being balanced and what you can do now won't necessarily be as good in release.
For instance we know Adrenaline will be nerfed a little so that the next turn you only have 2 ap instead of the current 3.
And Executioner will only proc once a turn (in the EA you gain 2 ap as long as you kill one peron per attack indefinitely).

veteran
veteran
It's the point that worries me. At some point of the game, when you have all the desired skills, combats will be pretty much all the same because the options for progress are far more limited compared to D:OS1. In D:OS1 you felt far more powerful, could do far more in one turn. In D:OS2 only the numbers willl grow bigger, not the amount of stuff you can do. Also it seems, skills like adrenaline seem to be kind of a must have for everyone later on, because of how much worth an AP more can offer.

Attributes got totally dumbed down compared to D:OS1 aswell. frown

Zec Offline
@Kalarakh
I dont mind attributes as are now, I dont see em as dumbing them down, just making them more clear. They still have same purpose as they used to in D:OS1 and in D:OS1 they could get ratre confusing. TBH I am rather glad that they took this approach on skills, If they dont need to get overly complicated then why force it?

made in Betanija
veteran
veteran
There is nothing tactical left in putting points into attributes. In D:OS1 putting points into attributes could have heavy influence on playstyle. Now you can just kind of put everything in your main stat and that's all. That's why it takes out a lot of tactical thinking out of a game that tries to sell on tactical gameplay?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
It's the point that worries me. At some point of the game, when you have all the desired skills, combats will be pretty much all the same because the options for progress are far more limited compared to D:OS1. In D:OS1 you felt far more powerful, could do far more in one turn. In D:OS2 only the numbers willl grow bigger, not the amount of stuff you can do. Also it seems, skills like adrenaline seem to be kind of a must have for everyone later on, because of how much worth an AP more can offer.

That is just wrong. In DOS ou had more ap to cast more powerful spells. Chain lightning 8 Ap, ... on top of the cooldown it was another gating to avoid you to use it too often.

In one turn you were mainly Casting 1 to 3 spells or for a melee, you would get in range and attack one to 3 times max.
This hasn't changed much in DOS 2 you do about the same amount of action every turns.

For the stats, they weren't much more interesting if you only played the first act. When you knew the game by heart you knew you need x or y but the stats by themselves were hardly more interesting.
And who knows about the rest of DOS 2. You'll probably have builds requiring a minimum of xx amount of memory and xx of wit to act first in certain combat and xx of int for your damages.

You are basically comparing a game you already know all its content and compare it with the first act of this game and draw conclusions.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
We have seen 1/3 of the game already (Act1 + beginning of act 2), people need to stop acting like we know nothing about DOS 2.

And I'd rather have powerfull spells that cost a lot of actions points and having attributes to get ap, than this memory system. Providing more ressource management during the fight is better than just select your spell before the fight.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Veligan
We have seen 1/3 of the game already (Act1 + beginning of act 2), people need to stop acting like we know nothing about DOS 2.

I am not saying we know nothing, but just compare how you were planning the game starting DOS (assuming you haven't read guide of player having finished the game yet) vs knowing everything about it.

There is a big difference.

Now if you prefer the ap system that is your thing, I was just pointing out that th current ap system doesn't not make have less things to do in your turn.
And I am saying before blasting the game the stats are crap, check at the end game builds because that is mainly at the end of the game that you have your definitive build. Not at the end of act one!

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Deadknight

Now if you prefer the ap system that is your thing, I was just pointing out that th current ap system doesn't not make have less things to do in your turn.

Except it does. I remember being able to do several "basic attack" in one turn with a warrior. Here you can't.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, a warrior with a 2handed sword cost 4p a swing. You hardly have more than 8 ap a turn without buff so there is no difference in that regard.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, a warrior with a 2handed sword cost 4p a swing. You hardly have more than 8 ap a turn without buff so there is no difference in that regard.

Only costs 2 AP per attack for me think
Are you sure you aren't using a 2h sword above your own level? I remember that in the original game attacking with a piece of equipment intended for a level above yours cost additional AP.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bukke

Only costs 2 AP per attack for me think
Are you sure you aren't using a 2h sword above your own level? I remember that in the original game attacking with a piece of equipment intended for a level above yours cost additional AP.

Nah we were comparing the cost between DOS1 and now.

But in terms of how much action you can take, both game are very similar, they reduced the ap you have along with the cost of all actions.

And the penalty in DOS2 for using over leveled weapon is a lower hit chance.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Blah, seems like I can't read.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I believe we've seen less than a quarter of the game, I could be wrong though.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kalrakh

That is just wrong. In DOS ou had more ap to cast more powerful spells. Chain lightning 8 Ap, ... on top of the cooldown it was another gating to avoid you to use it too often.

In one turn you were mainly Casting 1 to 3 spells or for a melee, you would get in range and attack one to 3 times max.
This hasn't changed much in DOS 2 you do about the same amount of action every turns.

For the stats, they weren't much more interesting if you only played the first act. When you knew the game by heart you knew you need x or y but the stats by themselves were hardly more interesting.
And who knows about the rest of DOS 2. You'll probably have builds requiring a minimum of xx amount of memory and xx of wit to act first in certain combat and xx of int for your damages.

You are basically comparing a game you already know all its content and compare it with the first act of this game and draw conclusions.

There were a methods of lowering costs and cooldowns in D:OS1 depending on your stats, not sure if depending on your skill tree aswell. Same went for normal attacks, you could make them less costexpensive aswell, if I'm not mistaken. All this is now gone. At least you could go for speed, if you wanted more AP per turns. That would lower your damage, but improve utility. Also gone.

If you know the base mechanics of progressing regarding skills and attributes, you can make some assumptions. And so far the EA was not really promising. The first four levels were hard, but after level five it got kind of boring. With a max level of thirty, that is far to early.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, but following the EA it kind of got more worse than better regarding this stuff.

old hand
old hand
It depends on the builds and how you use it. For me the biggest gripe with the game is not the ap system or the armor, but the easy way to get a combi of skills from several schools which is not healthy.

After some rough testing (I did not play the first game) I got a bit used to the combat. I play relatively straight builds, with a restriction of schools per char, for example I have Adrenaline only on my rogue and Skin Graft only on my Necro/Poly and only one Teleport in the group.

That said, I don't find the first four levels so hard and then the rest boring. There are easy fights and difficult fights on all levels. I lost a fight against the frogs, the magical undead in the tomb, one against Kniles and two of five against Radeka. I mostly had the feeling I had to work a bit for wins. More than a bit in the Voiddweller fights for example.

I like the ap system as it is. It is restrictive and urges you to use some tactics. I don't see much sense to implement an increase of ap when at the same time stronger skills use more ap. I don't like the source points, actually I never ever used a source skill in combat. hahaha

Last edited by geala; 05/09/17 07:26 AM.
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
@deadknight
Hardly ? In DOS 1 you could have a lot more than 8 ap even without buff.

Originally Posted by geala
It depends on the builds and how you use it. For me the biggest gripe with the game is not the ap system or the armor, but the easy way to get a combi of skills from several schools which is not healthy.

After some rough testing (I did not play the first game) I got a bit used to the combat. I play relatively straight builds, with a restriction of schools per char, for example I have Adrenaline only on my rogue and Skin Graft only on my Necro/Poly and only one Teleport in the group.

That said, I don't find the first four levels so hard and then the rest boring. There are easy fights and difficult fights on all levels. I lost a fight against the frogs, the magical undead in the tomb, one against Kniles and two of five against Radeka. I mostly had the feeling I had to work a bit for wins. More than a bit in the Voiddweller fights for example.

I like the ap system as it is. It is restrictive and urges you to use some tactics. I don't see much sense to implement an increase of ap when at the same time stronger skills use more ap. I don't like the source points, actually I never ever used a source skill in combat. hahaha

I agree with the combi of skills. (But armor system is my biggest concern)

For the ap part I find the first game more tactical. To have more action points you had to sacrifice other things.

Source points 100% agree, i don't use them either.(except time warp on my solo run)

veteran
veteran
That is what I mean, the dumbed down attributes took away a huge part of tactical depth.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I have to agree on the Stat point's feeling dumbed down.

Each one equates to a small effect in it's target area. Perhaps if they actually added secondary effects at certain levels that would help. But as is stats just feel like a dumping ground rather than a serious consideration.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Veligan
@deadknight
Hardly ? In DOS 1 you could have a lot more than 8 ap even without buff.

A lot more ? Hum no.
8 AP every turn is 9 speed. So if you want a third attack, you need 17 speed. You don't have easily 17 speed without sacrificing your main stat.
So no you DON'T easily have A LOT more ap without buffs, it was a base of 4 ap a turn + 1 every 2 points in speed after the first one.

I am not sure what game you played but that doesn't seem to be the same DOS as the one I played.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard