Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Incendax
It seems to be 'Animating Life Force'. You can find it gathering in places as a liquid, and using this kind of Source empowers your spells and abilities (Aleroth used it for healing). When Source is inside a person it is effectively their Soul, since you can do terrible things like rip the Source out of someone and make them stop existing / no longer able to go to the Hall of Echoes. Or enslave people by taking their Source.

But you can also add more Source to an already living thing, which gives you immortal wizards. Or keep Source inside a corpse (or soul jar) so that they continue to be animated even after death as Undead. Or pump them so full of Source they become a weapon.

A really good visual explanation and pretty much spot on.

Kadajko #609090 05/09/17 07:47 AM
old hand
old hand
I concur. What source should not be is a gift from the gods, or worse, one goddess. The ridiculous entities the gods are in this universe (and in most other fantasy settings) seem much too arbitrary, weak and unimportant to be the source of source. If source comes from one of them, what do the others do? So source is best envisioned as (a small visible and utilisable) part of the forces which constitute the universe in itself, in this case the forces of life.

Last edited by geala; 05/09/17 07:49 AM.
Kadajko #609114 05/09/17 01:04 PM
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
The gods were all pretty powerful once upon a time, even creating the six races. But for whatever reason, they were all too emotional and wrapped up in their own nonsense, so Lucian had to convince them to hand their power over to him. Lucian wasn't the best guy, but he was apparently far more mellow and interested in helping others than most of the gods. So net gain for civilization.

If the Divine is dead, then it makes sense that the gods are getting their power back. It's even consistent with the Chaos Wars that the gods give their power to a chosen member of their own race, which is what we see happen in DOS2. But we also know the Divine isn't really dead. It would make sense if Original Sin 2 takes place right after the Divine was supposedly killed by a Dragon Knight, but DOS2 supposedly takes place before Beyond Divinity. So I got nothing.

Kadajko #609253 06/09/17 11:52 PM
The short answer is that "Source Magic" is Divinity's version of Blood Magic, or Black Magic, or Forbidden Magic. I.E. it's just another school of magic that's more powerful than regular magic in-lore, but pretty indistinguishable in-game. And it's called Source Magic (a very poor descriptor) primarily for the sourcery pun and Pratchett reference.

A
A
Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
The short answer is that "Source Magic" is Divinity's version of Blood Magic, or Black Magic, or Forbidden Magic. I.E. it's just another school of magic that's more powerful than regular magic in-lore, but pretty indistinguishable in-game. And it's called Source Magic (a very poor descriptor) primarily for the sourcery pun and Pratchett reference.

except not really... its not really forbidden or dark magic.. its first uses were for healing.. that said however the source was corrupted and is now more dark than it was.

Kadajko #609261 07/09/17 01:09 AM
veteran
veteran
Source magic seems to be some kind of soul magic. You could do it with your own soul, but reaping souls from others lets you get stronger much faster obviously.

Kalrakh #609268 07/09/17 03:44 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Source magic seems to be some kind of soul magic. You could do it with your own soul, but reaping souls from others lets you get stronger much faster obviously.

this seems to be the most accurate description of it.. soul/spirit magic

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard