Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by MAsterX
You seem to asume that everybody plays origin-chars just cause they already have all the story maybe more than you can create yourself with a custom one.

I would advise you to look at this poll made by Larian which sees things a "bit" differently. Granted Beast and Fane were not yet avaible at the time the poll was made, but still it shows that people are interested in origins-chars but thats not their major focus at all.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11084333/r

I don't think he's saying that everyone's gonna play the origin characters. I think what he's saying is the origin characters have a lot more going for them.
Imagine the difference between the party of one custom character who picks up the origin guys as companions, and one with 4 custom characters because people want to play a dude they make themselves. Everyone will have the same special power, there will be a ton of character quests and development that doesn't happen, and some things can't be resolved in a special way.

I've straight up told my buddies "If any of the special guys interests you, play them" because I'm worried that a group of all 4 custom characters will have a much less interesting run.

Last edited by Grondoth; 08/09/17 02:19 AM.
old hand
old hand
It is much, much harder to give players tons of meaningful choices that lets them really feel like they're building their own characters and stories as they play than to have pre-written origin stories. 90% of the time, it feels like the choices a "custom" character has in virtually any game are relatively bland. That's because you have to write to anticipate a million different ways someone might be roleplaying, and it all boils down into meh-dom because if you try to please everyone you please no one.

Basically, you want to non-origins to have access to several tags that none of the origins have. That's a perfectly reasonable request, but a whole lot of work to implement. After all, if you have only one or two non-origin tags, you're not really giving "custom" characters much customization.

Without these tags, I'm not sure what custom characters would have access to that origin characters ought not to. What sort of quest solutions should be available to custom characters that wouldn't be available to origins, without the above tag system solution. Maybe a couple more starting source skills to choose from (maybe three different "dome" effects, where one heals, one deals damage to enemies, and the other is a mix of both.)

GM mode is the place for roleplaying what you want in a satisfying way.

N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Basically, you want to non-origins to have access to several tags that none of the origins have

Far to late to implement.

Essentially I want Non-origins to have ONE tag that none of the origins game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Neonivek

Don't take this topic too seriously.

I think this topic should be taken seriously.
I already mentioned that a few months past.
The problem to me lies mostly on the story aspect.
The custom character does have a story and dialogue options where the custom characters have none. This gives a notion of background to origin characters where customs have none. This for me is a real problem for a "pen-an-paper RPG".
I mentioned that the stories could have existed with only the tags, and that there should not even be origin characters.

If you would to poll people I think a lot of people would rather have a custom character instead of a preset, but here there's indeed a big incentive of playing custom origin characters, which indeed, like our friend Neonivek is to me a real issue.

I do get how that could have been hard, then again, it could just have been removing the conversational aspects linked to origin stories.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I'm somewhat annoyed about custom personality tags but far more annoyed about lack of custom Source abilities.

I don't want everyone to have the timewarp ability. Give me at least a few options.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hmmm I do get the argument that 4 custom ones might be less entertaining then a mixed run with custom + fixed origins. And yes that CAN be a shame especially if you invited a few friends to play with you.

But as every rpg your Char is only as good as you make him. Ingame you perhaps have a few less choices and less answers to choose from simply because everyone plays the same "base" origin true. But you do realize that the player him/herself is responsible to fill in the gaps that the game itself might not have for you? Get a good backstory you are FREE to choose your own. Choose the answers you think fits your char the most. That alone usally extends a char way better then even Larian and their prepared origins can do.

Now the only real reason that is indeed strange in a 4 custom-origin setting is the fact that everyone would have the same source skill. It could be helped that in a multiplayer match you can choose from the 7 (6 origins +custom) currently avaible ones. That would at least make 4 custom chars a lot more believable.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'm going to agree with the original poster. Going from early access to find that all the non-origin characters had a weird restoration bubble (it isn't immunity) as their origin source ability was a bit of a disappointment. You're far more likely to have four people who want to play four customs, than four people wanting to play Ibfan, for example. At the very least, Time Warp would have still been useful in such a situation.

Even then, giving customs the option to pick a couple of staring source abilities would have been nice.

G
G
The OP is of course entirely correct. The level of fanboyism in this thread is disgusting. Most posts are basically "How DARE you care! How DARE you imply not everything in this game is perfect! How DARE you use the game's official FORUMS to express your OPINION!"

So disappointing. Can't handle someone pointing out a flaw in the game, or disagreeing with you?

Does anyone have an ACTUAL argument for why anyone would EVER choose a custom character over an origin character, from a mechanical perspective and not a perspective of "what does it matter, you shouldn't care"? Like, an ACTUAL reason why a custom origin is in any way BETTER?

(BTW there is one, technically- if you want 2 undead in your party but don't want to control all dialogue you need to be a custom undead so Fane is there to recruit. I mean that's not exactly a glowing recommendation (it's more about the game's limitations than any actual boon for the custom character), but hey, it is a reason why one would make that choice)

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by GiantOctopodes
The OP is of course entirely correct. The level of fanboyism in this thread is disgusting. Most posts are basically "How DARE you care! How DARE you imply not everything in this game is perfect! How DARE you use the game's official FORUMS to express your OPINION!"

So disappointing. Can't handle someone pointing out a flaw in the game, or disagreeing with you?

Does anyone have an ACTUAL argument for why anyone would EVER choose a custom character over an origin character, from a mechanical perspective and not a perspective of "what does it matter, you shouldn't care"? Like, an ACTUAL reason why a custom origin is in any way BETTER?

(BTW there is one, technically- if you want 2 undead in your party but don't want to control all dialogue you need to be a custom undead so Fane is there to recruit. I mean that's not exactly a glowing recommendation (it's more about the game's limitations than any actual boon for the custom character), but hey, it is a reason why one would make that choice)

Same problem happend in EA, magic armor and environmental effects were ridiculous but loads of people are somehow fine with stunlocking the enemies from turn one until death approach, it is head scratching. These are legitimate suggestions so you better refute with a legitimate reason.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In my 165 hours of playing DOS2, I've only played custom origin characters. Why? Because I can name them. There you go. Thread won. horsey

That's really it though. I prefer to be "Morghul the Undying", and make my character look like some pasty white Translyvania-looking guy, or "Hutch", the Dwarven bounty hunter, and so on.

Playing as an origin character, I'm locked to a preset name, and my idea of who the character is already limited from the start. So I prefer to make a custom character and experience the origin characters as companions, as that feels more natural.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard