Page 1 of 2 1 2
#609661 09/09/17 08:46 AM
O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Hello.
I did not play early access because I am waiting for full release, and I did not found enough information about companions.
How many characters are available to recruit (I know max party size is 4)?
Are there 5 of them like main image of this forum shows or more?
Are all recruitable characters available as main character as you start, or there are some that are only available as later companions?
Are Eithne (GOG Hero) and Fane (character from news) recruitable or they are just NPC characters?
I guess there is no option to start with own 4 custom characters?
Thanks for any info.

ociebieda #609662 09/09/17 08:54 AM
A
A
there are 6 companion characters (that you can also play as if you choose adding more story)

lohse, fane, beast, red prince, sebille, and ifan

you can play as all of them as well as make a custom character you can recruit all of them (up to a max party size of 4)

certain characters bring very very very bad events upon your group if you invite them (wont say who but its pretty obvious and you are even warned at some point during act 1)

you can start with 4 custom characters if you sorta cheat the game and invite yourself to the game 4 times on 4 different launches but it really doesnt matter that much since you get to pick their class for them when you invite them.

ociebieda #609663 09/09/17 08:55 AM
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
There are 6 Origin Char's (Fane, Lohse, Sebille, Ifan, Red, Beast) you can either pick them at the start or recruit in fort joy.

ociebieda #609669 09/09/17 09:43 AM
stranger
stranger
I've read info about Eithne, she is NPC that you can trade with later in game. Fane on other hand is a char that you can recruit or play.
For now there is an option to create custom chars, but it requires pretty good pc. You need to start 4 instanes of the game and create multiplayer game in LAN and join those instances, after all chars are created and game is started you can exit in all instances except for your main.

Also, you can start 4 custom chars if you start game with 3 other friends wink

ociebieda #609690 09/09/17 03:34 PM
O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
So total number of available companion characters is 6 and all of them are available in very early game part?
Yes, I read about this 4 player trick.
It seems to be asked by many users.
If such thing like 4 customized characters party is allowed in multiplayer, then I wonder why it should not be possible in single player, especially because it is not so hard progamming to add such simple feature.
I know that creators put a lot of work into their characters so would prefer that players experience their great work with it.
Flat characters in party might be less interesting for some people, but there are also RPG players who prefer to customize own party that fit their vision and story.
I guess custom party option will be available with later update.
If not, then probably modding scene will do that.

ociebieda #609693 09/09/17 03:57 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by ociebieda
So total number of available companion characters is 6 and all of them are available in very early game part?
Yes, I read about this 4 player trick.
It seems to be asked by many users.
If such thing like 4 customized characters party is allowed in multiplayer, then I wonder why it should not be possible in single player, especially because it is not so hard progamming to add such simple feature.
I know that creators put a lot of work into their characters so would prefer that players experience their great work with it.
Flat characters in party might be less interesting for some people, but there are also RPG players who prefer to customize own party that fit their vision and story.
I guess custom party option will be available with later update.
If not, then probably modding scene will do that.

all of them are available pretty much right after the tutorial spread thruout the prison/surrounding area.

ociebieda #609710 09/09/17 06:25 PM
journeyman
journeyman
So, there are no companions, there is just 6 preset playable characters?
It sounds even worse than the terrible dialogues with myself in Original Sin 1.

Let me guess, no "main hero" (all 6 characters are main heroes), no party banters, no party leader (you can choose who will talk), right?

It looks like single player game was again dumbed-down because of multiplayer.
I really hoped that Larian learned from the mistakes of the previous game :-(

ociebieda #609714 09/09/17 06:38 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
There is a "main hero", and it can be one of the (somewhat customisable) origin characters or a character of your own creation. Although it's party oriented (though you can solo it if you want) your chosen character is still the lead.

J'aime le fromage.
Adrianna #609716 09/09/17 06:49 PM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Adrianna
certain characters bring very very very bad events upon your group if you invite them

These events are also valuable for exp, gear, and loot.

So you will actively seek these out when available.

Neonivek #609720 09/09/17 07:05 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Originally Posted by Adrianna
certain characters bring very very very bad events upon your group if you invite them

These events are also valuable for exp, gear, and loot.

So you will actively seek these out when available.

i was talking about lohse in particular.. where you are warned of a bad thing happening if she lives which we havent seen yet.. the gods themselves tell you to kill her.

sounds ominous.. lol

Last edited by Adrianna; 09/09/17 07:06 PM.
vometia #609724 09/09/17 07:38 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
Although it's party oriented (though you can solo it if you want) your chosen character is still the lead.

How exactly does this manifest?

I also wondered how dialogues work.
Please do not tell me that "companions" are (again) mindless drones without their own personality and you have to pick their dialogues answers for them.

ociebieda #609726 09/09/17 07:47 PM
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
They are not mindless drones. They will answer dialog on their own, and even initiate conversations with other people without you prompting them to.

Edvin #609729 09/09/17 08:02 PM
H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Edvin

Please do not tell me that "companions" are (again) mindless drones without their own personality and you have to pick their dialogues answers for them.

You can talk to companions and ask from a set of questions about their backstory, or what you should do next, and they'll give a response.

They'll also (rarely) react to world events, giving their views on situations you find yourself in. But it's little more than the odd line of text or a small bit of backstory.

Not much in the way of chat or banter between the group.

Last edited by vometia; 09/09/17 08:04 PM. Reason: formatting
Edvin #609733 09/09/17 08:13 PM
O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Although it's party oriented (though you can solo it if you want) your chosen character is still the lead.

I am not sure if I understand correctly.
Are there any games where companions decide what to tell instead of player?
I saw at least they sometimes react by commenting your choices (if other character is speaking) or giving different dialogue options (if you choose them to talk - OS2 seems to be going that way based on some videos I saw) or changing their liking you (presented as liking in percents bar or they may just left your party or even attack or betray you later).
Some games I already finished: Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Temple Of Elemental Evil, Wizardry 8, Dragon Age, Jagged Alliance 2.
I do not remember how dialogues were working in OS1, because I did not enjoy this game somehow (same with Pillars Of Eternity and Tyranny), and stopped playing whem reach the village and meet quests with undeads.
I am very interested in OS2, because I saw some videos showing challengable deep tactical part that is focused on turn based playing (which I miss in most crpg games except TToEE, W8, JA2) and graphic style seems to look natural (not another shiny colorful disneyland or japan or caricatural style).
I am happy that there is not another game with tactical pause that makes crpg games too simple in combat.
If you would like to plan deeper tactics in such games, it is very annoying hitting this space bar over and over in correct time for each party member - but sorry for off topic.

Hessen #609734 09/09/17 08:28 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Hessen
You can talk to companions and ask from a set of questions about their backstory, or what you should do next, and they'll give a response.

They'll also (rarely) react to world events, giving their views on situations you find yourself in. But it's little more than the odd line of text or a small bit of backstory.

Not much in the way of chat or banter between the group.

Good, so it will not be a complete disaster wink

Last question:
If some NPC starts a dialogue with your group, do you have to choose what character will talk or is it always the leader?

Edvin #609735 09/09/17 08:30 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Last question:
If some NPC starts a dialogue with your group, do you have to choose what character will talk or is it always the leader?

In my experience they've tended to talk to whoever is physically closest to them, which is sometimes quite annoying. Though I've still got to (generally) choose the reactions, so ymmv; and I suspect that's likely to have been significantly overhauled in the actual released game.

Last edited by vometia; 09/09/17 08:32 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #609737 09/09/17 08:41 PM
journeyman
journeyman
In my experience they've tended to talk to whoever is physically closest to them, which is sometimes quite annoying. Though I've still got to (generally) choose the reactions, so ymmv; and I suspect that's likely to have been significantly overhauled in the actual released game.

In that case, I hope you are right.

If every party member can talk with NPC and make decisions that will change the world, then there is no leader, no main hero and immersion with role playing experience are gone. sad

I hate when games doing this...

Edvin #609738 09/09/17 08:46 PM
H
stranger
stranger
H

In that case, I hope you are right.

If every party member can talk with NPC and make decisions that will change the world, then there is no leader, no main hero and immersion with role playing experience are gone. sad

I hate when games doing this...

You don't really have a main hero. You have the character you originally create, but you can walk around using one of the recruited NPCs as the main character if you want.

Which is what I tend to do, because I want my tank at the front, and my created character isn't the tank. So the recruited NPC is the one that responds to the dialogue most of the time.

I think this is quite unique, I haven't seen any other games where you can do that - so I'm not sure why you are saying games are doing this?

Last edited by Hessen; 09/09/17 08:47 PM.
Hessen #609741 09/09/17 08:58 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I think this is quite unique, I haven't seen any other games where you can do that - so I'm not sure why you are saying games are doing this?

1) Icewind dale 1
2) Icewind dale 2
3) Neverwinter nights 2 Storm of zehir
4) Wasteland 2
(and Original Sin 1)

Although this system allows you to create good combat, does not allow to create a good story.

Last edited by Edvin; 09/09/17 08:58 PM.
Hessen #609742 09/09/17 08:59 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert

I can't think of any offhand. Although in things like e.g. the Dragon Ages you can choose any current party member to lead, if conversation is initiated it's always with your primary character. That said, it does at least have the random banter between other characters which is often quite entertaining.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard