Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Or maybe underpowered when compared to others.

Lohse - makes everyone hit the person closest to them

Ifan - wolf summon that can howl(I think terrifies) and bite that causes bleed

The Red Prince - steal magic armor

Sebille - removes debuffs

Beast - no idea

Fane - no idea.

I mainly wanted to focus on The Red Prince's ability demonic stare. I think it is way underpowered. This ability requires 1 source and takes armor from an enemy, at level 8 I think it is 40-60 magic armor, and gives it to him. Hydromancy has frost armor that is 1 AP 4 turn CD and restores more magic armor on anyone and removes some of the games worst debuffs, again for 1 AP.

I feel like with the name Demonic Stare the ability should have more sinister aspect. My thought was make it once per combat 1 source, steal (level appropriate) amount of magic armor if enemy magic armor is reduced to 0 charm enemy for 1 or 2 turns.

Mostly it seems that origin characters source ability are unsatisfying. I feel like the source abilities are great for lore and character building but they underperform and underdeliver especially when compared to the generic time warp source ability (in all honestly the best ability in the game).

I've been mulling this over for awhile. What do you guys think? Also this is from my phone. Please forgive my typos.

stranger
stranger
I feel like these source powers should be free to cast
That would make you feel more powerful. But we don't know how many of these powers and the the upper level spells will look like. Let's wait and see how the game turns out

veteran
veteran
Frightening would be more fitting than charme, but if they cost source they really don't sound so promising, except for the wolf perhaps.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Fane's abilits seem to be the time warp ability. It was tested as a custom ability in the last build,
but appearently he now has it.

Custom Origins instead get a "bubble" of regenerating armor and magic armor. Quite a good defensive ability but high AP cost (6) and useful for defense only.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Frightening would be more fitting than charme, but if they cost source they really don't sound so promising, except for the wolf perhaps.

I debated with Terrify or Charm. I settled on Charm because The Red Prince is a prince and supposed to be a bit charming, plus their racial ability gives them +1 persuasion. I just felt it aligned more than Terrify, but I could honestly see it going either way.

Originally Posted by MAsterX
Fane's abilits seem to be the time warp ability. It was tested as a custom ability in the last build,

Custom Origins instead get a "bubble" of regenerating armor and magic armor. Quite a good defensive ability but high AP cost (6) and useful for defense only.

This then should be the biggest prompt that the other origin abilities should be improved in some fashion. Fane already can become any race and obtain their racial abilities, drop out of all combat, and apparently he now has the best ability in the game.

[Edit] Let me clarify and say that I am not advocating for a nerf. I hate nerfs. I am advocating the the other characters abilities to be elevated to the same level of awesome.

Last edited by Concarne; 11/09/17 04:33 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's the issue from the start: elves always got far more love than the other races, had far more unique and special stuff and now the undeads even beat the elves.

undead > elves >>> everything else

N
old hand
old hand
N
It's the issue from the start: elves always got far more love than the other races, had far more unique and special stuff and now the undeads even beat the elves.

undead > elves >>> everything else

Let me add >>>>>>^10 Custom Origin characters

The Time Warp? Fane gets it. What do Custom Origin characters get? A Source Point Costing armor healing aura in a game where there are multiple ways to get armor healing auras for no source cost.

Last edited by Neonivek; 11/09/17 05:16 PM.
Sadly the game has a horrible balance right now.
Race balance, skill balance, basic problems the armor system causes, and more... so many things a lot of people brought up... but yeah, what was it good for...

But hey, they're reading it all... ^^

(and decided to ignore everything ^^)

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
veteran
veteran
The core problem seems to remain: The are not good at playing their own gain, the stream so often show that fact.

N
old hand
old hand
N
The core problem seems to remain: The are not good at playing their own gain, the stream so often show that fact.

Makes me sort of dread Tactition mode.

One HUGE advantage of holding it off until EE was that they were able to see how the battles went and make adjustments for how they could be tougher.

Now? I am scared they will be significantly less creative (Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't include a single new enemy in it).

THEN again the sheer number of fights in tactition mode that involved unfair ambushes.

OP Offline

Eh I am not so worried about that. If you look at the streams it is almost always Swen who is playing, with the help and aid of another designer at his shoulder. Almost all of the mistakes he makes are just clumsy mistakes -misclicks, etc., not the I don't understand my own mechanics mistakes. Just because someone isn't a good gamer does not mean that they do not know how to build a good game or tell a good story. He understands all of the concepts and mechanics... He is just their CEO and top of the food chain boss. His focus is on the business aspect of it and making sure his company can keep their doors open. Not to be the best player in the company.

veteran
veteran
I was not talking about Swen. I was talking about when they for example demonstrated the changes of EE. Also there is a difference in knowing the theoretic part of the mechanics and knowing what the mechanics can also achieve in practical use in combination with other mechanics, understandig den deeper synergies and possible consequences for balancing.

For me personnaly and I guess my friend, DOS2 feels less like a successor, an improvement from DOS1, more of the opposite. They made to many and to drastic changes killing a lot of the stuff, that gave for me in DOS1 the feeling of empowerment. And the balance feels totally off.

enthusiast
enthusiast

They have QA testers dedicated for that and those are good at playing the game. It's not because the person on stream isn't the best of player that all the company is bad at playing the game...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by MAsterX

Uh, 6 AP? What lol?

So you have to spend EVERY single Ap to use one ability? Hell, you only get 6 AP is from certain abilities that will grant you more AP or you save up 2 AP from previous turn (i think). Like wtf? Is that serious? And that's also a source ability then? So 1 source point for it as well lol....?

L
addict
addict
L
On the vid it was 1 ap 6 cool down. Don't recall where I saw this

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by LostSoul
On the vid it was 1 ap 6 cool down. Don't recall where I saw this

This is from the odd way it is represented.

The large numbered icon is for cooldown and the tiny blip is for AP.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah you can see it in the Undead reveal video:
One AP
One Source
Increase armor, magical armor and elemental resistances for 5 Turns
6 Turns Cooldown.

With the elemental resistance, that could actually be good for a lone wolf fighter.

L
addict
addict
L
If the protection dome removes cold, frozen etc then I'm more likely to use it

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by LostSoul
If the protection dome removes cold, frozen etc then I'm more likely to use it

It doesn't.

old hand
old hand
Even without it's quite a strong skill. Better than some skills of the origins. Which annoys me a bit because I want to play a custom character and don't like greedy remarks. It's problematic enough to play an elf. I will perhaps write into my signature that I never used Flesh Sacrifice in the EA on my elf main. hahaha

The Red Prince's source skill is weak. A racial with an extremely strong CC like charm is however not the best way to balance in my opinion. It could be a softer CC perhaps. The frosty nature of the smug Prince lets all people be chilled after he stared at them, or so.

Last edited by geala; 12/09/17 12:56 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard