Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by michaelgalt1984
Want to see what changes there have been made to crafting... and if we have actual witchcraft spells or not. Kinda bizarre to have witches without an actual spell school, since necromancy seems to be more appropriate to... necromancers. I really liked the witchcraft spell school and would be pretty disappointed if it has indeed been cut. It would be pretty awesome to add that to my nature's avenger... he summons things from the environment, then starts turning his enemies against each other or weakening them against the attacks of his minions.

Witchcraft was renamed Necromancy.
DOS1 Necromantic spell were the witchcraft spec (decaying touch, raise dead, etc.)
So I am fairly certain you won't have new specific "witchcraft" since in DOS1 and DOS2 Witchcraft = Necromancy.

I am sure you'll find ppl complaining in the first game that Witchcraft wasn't called Necromancy. That's just a name what's important is the spell they bring and the gameplay, not the label.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Raze

Release should be about 5 pm Belgium time (GMT+2), so about 8 am PDT.

So from what the other posts after this have said, it sounds like it ought to be most likely somewhere between 8am and 12pm (noon) for those of us on Pacific Time. That sound correct?

And as far as a connection, are we expecting 3-4 hour download on... what kind of connection? I pulled down the EA in something like 20 minutes, but my connection tops out at like 250 Mbps (when it's really rockin'). I know I'm luckier than most, but would that mean the update would wind up being around an hour download? Does it add on the content from the EA?

Thanks all!

journeyman
journeyman
Well, as far as I am aware, the current necromancer skills have nothing to charm or lower resistances.. it's basically all blood magic stuff. Stop healing, cause bleeding, make blood... the witchcraft spells from DOS 1 gave many more interesting and useful options...

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Here's to hoping the mod tools are released at the same time.

Last edited by Foodchain; 13/09/17 05:31 PM.
Originally Posted by geala
So ok, it get's better, from 19:00 to 22:00 CEST (10 am to 1 pm PDT from Facebook) to 17:00 CEST. Nice. However I fear for a long download, Steam is infamous for it.

Eh, Steam downloads my games faster than my torrents downloads. Going on recent experience with even more popular game I'll probably have it all downloaded in half an hour, though my brother is on a 4th party satellite connection so it might take him most of the morning.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Regarding pre-load of the game, It's a bit more awkward than you think.

For example, say they wanted to allow us to pre-download the game. Do they disable the "play" button when they enable game download? They probably don't want to turn off the ability to play something that people already have access to. In fact there could possibly be things on steam's side that wouldn't let them do that.

Do they make a new entry in your steam library to allow two instances, kinda like skyrim and skyrim special edition? Be able to play the early access and download the release? is it worth doing just for a few hours of gameplay? What will they do with the early access instance once release comes? Take up space on everyone's hard drive?

Given Larian's reputation and integrety as a company, I'm pretty willing to bet that they've already gone over all these options and have gone with what they believe to be the best one for everyone. I'm personally going to download the update when I get up in the morning and get to it at my leisure. It's going to be a great experience either way.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Without a preload, and without midnight release I will be clogging up my internet for probably 30 hours. I was hoping for midnight release at the very least so I could kill at least about 7+ hours of download overnight. I still would have had to download all day, but at least it'd be done by Friday morning, but now I'll be downloading it and restricting what I can do while downloading for 2 afternoons.

journeyman
journeyman
Wow, I'm genuinely a little pissed that they haven't officially stated at what time it will be released and that it looks like there won't be preloading.

So, their Facebook says the launch event begins at 1000 PDT... which is noon my time (central). But, someone here claimed Steam had told them 0730 eastern time, which would make it 0630 for me. And, in a different thread, I read it would be 1700 Belgian time... which would make it 1000 for me.

So, basically, sometime between 0630 and 1200 is what I'm working with at this point. Given it takes me about an hour to download 8 gb... if I have to download all 24-35 gb (which is the range which I heard) without preloading.... it'll take me nearly 4 hours to complete. So, sounds like best case scenario is that I will be able to play around 1030, but, possibly not until 1600... too bad I have work at 1730. I might literally only have time to create my character and assemble my party and then have to leave. 1st world problems? Maybe. But, if there was stupid preloading, even if it wasn't released until 1200... I would have FIVE hours to play it instead of 1... :l

I really hope it preloads....

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Wow, I'm genuinely a little pissed that they haven't officially stated at what time it will be released

I do believe Raze is larian staff?

Originally Posted by Raze

Release should be about 5 pm Belgium time (GMT+2), so about 8 am PDT.

journeyman
journeyman
That was a post by Raze? Then yes, that should be the official time. Thanks! I just don't understand why they wouldn't put that in news, or make a thread with all the important information: size of download, time of access, whether there is preloading. At least I know when it will be released now, if not whether it will preload.

Deleted by poster...

Last edited by Ayath The Loafer; 14/09/17 07:59 AM. Reason: unnecessary nitpicking

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
Y
apprentice
apprentice
Y
A little trick, just type in "5 pm Belgium to (whatever your timezone OR location is)" in google and it will tell you.

Kind of annoyed that a timer was not put up on the steam page. Also wished for a midnight release so when I got home I could play it a bit. I work late and have to leave as soon as I get up so I will not get a chance to play any till tomorrow night. However it will not be till sometime this weekend before I can actually play it with any length of time, so it is a wash for me.

Zec Offline
@michaelgat1984
They did stated offical time when they will released it on their tweeter https://twitter.com/larianstudios/with_replies so just patience my friend it is coming soon.

made in Betanija
journeyman
journeyman
Hah... the one place that I didn't look, since I never use Twitter...

Now, if only I knew if there will be preloading... 🤔 😉 I will survive without it, but just be forced to stare at my computer for hours as I wait for it to download... to be clear, DOS 2 is the only pc game which I look forward to for the rest of this year. I only play RPGs, and there are no others coming out which interest me. I very much enjoyed DOS 1, and have LOVED the alpha... so just want to play.

Given that there are a ton of threads asking when it will be released and if there will be preload, clearly I'm not the only one. Yes, a counter would have been splendid.

Also, does anyone know if there will/will not be preloading? Still can't find anything on that.

* Well, I have found a variety of posts saying no preload, and no posts saying yes preload. Just uninstalled my own version to reinstall to see the size... and it is indeed still the EA. So... that is sort of a bummer. Looks like full release will be 0900 my time... but then it is going to need to download all 24-35 gb of it... while everyone in the US is now starting to connect to the interwebs and everyone else is simultaneously trying to download DOS 2... so, optimistically, I will be able to play 4 hours later, 1300 my time. Not terrible, but not optimal...

Does this mean I search for a place with faster download speeds? Finally upgrade my router and modem?? 🤔

Last edited by michaelgalt1984; 14/09/17 09:33 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Deadknight
Want to see what changes there have been made to crafting... and if we have actual witchcraft spells or not. Kinda bizarre to have witches without an actual spell school, since necromancy seems to be more appropriate to... necromancers. I really liked the witchcraft spell school and would be pretty disappointed if it has indeed been cut. It would be pretty awesome to add that to my nature's avenger... he summons things from the environment, then starts turning his enemies against each other or weakening them against the attacks of his minions.

Witchcraft was renamed Necromancy.
DOS1 Necromantic spell were the witchcraft spec (decaying touch, raise dead, etc.)
So I am fairly certain you won't have new specific "witchcraft" since in DOS1 and DOS2 Witchcraft = Necromancy.

I am sure you'll find ppl complaining in the first game that Witchcraft wasn't called Necromancy. That's just a name what's important is the spell they bring and the gameplay, not the label.

Honestly I am going with no... They didn't rename Witchcraft into Necromancy.

Other than sharing a few spells these trees are night and day.

Zec Offline
There was that on tweet too, and answer is sad frown nope no preload

made in Betanija
journeyman
journeyman
Damnation. Well, I came up with a partial solution to my problem.

If you are using a laptop, consider connecting directly to your modem with a cat5 or cat6 cable to download it over Ethernet. I did it, and the exact same download (of the EA) was effectively twice as fast. A download which took between an hour and an hour and a half over wifi has been reduced to slightly over 30 minutes.

My router is kinda old, so results may vary... but, it's worth testing out if your speed is slow. For me, it means that a wifi download which might have taken 4 hours (or more), will hopefully only take 2 hours now... depending on the ultimate size of the download.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh, yeah, I'll always use a wired connection unless I'm using something like the tablet or laptop: it's quicker and doesn't involve witchcraft. Though in my case it doesn't make a huge difference since my XDSL needs some work on it somewhere between my house and the exchange and manages just over 10 Mbits (I think that's about a 10th of the average around here, but high-speed means Virgin Media and... nah.)

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia
[...] it's quicker and doesn't involve witchcraft.[...]

But, ... but, ... Isn't Witchcraft the best?

journeyman
journeyman
So we've got about 2 hours left or so... and definitely going to start a new game once the release is installed (even if current save games are compatible (which I never saw if that's confirmed or not (but probably isn't))).

Should I:

A - play a few rounds of League of Legends while I wait?

B - play Gwent for two hours against NPCs in TW3?

C - drive around and waste some gas to just kill time while I drink some coffee and mentally / physically prepare for this and get some 6-speed action in before I inevitably go into hibernation (hardcore gaming mode) for (at least) 2 months?

D - find a way to contribute to the other threads in this forum in a way that is constructive and non-inflammatory?

E - sleep for 2 more hours and just wake up, install and play - even though I don't think I'll be able to fall back asleep at this rate? (I'm sure there's a potion for that).

In my line of work, it's never a quiet day on the market.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard