Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Gyloir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Hello, just wondering if anyone has any good tips for making this work.

Was wanting to make a dual wielding fighter who also used some magic (geo/polymorph) with a focus on being really quick/fast and a dps machine.

However I can't figure out if I should go str or finesse? Are there finesse swords in the game or all of them Str based? I know the last one had rapiers that were finesse, are those still in and are they as good as going str/regular one handed swords?

Thanks.

veteran
veteran
Hybrid sucks because of the armor system, except if you use the mage part only for buffing yourself. ^^

There are spears for finesse, don't know about rapiers.

N
stranger
stranger
N
So with the armor system is a hybrid melee fighter completed weak or even if the damage output isn't the greatest couldn't you essentially still use it to either hit elemental weaknesses and/or add additional means of triggering combo effects off other elemental effects in play? It seemed to work in Original Sin 1 for my primary character at least.

"Between Light & Dark, I walk the Shadows"
veteran
veteran
Hybrids have two issue:

1) Physical und magical damage are seperated. If you hit with a flaming sword, the sword will damage the physical armor but the fire will hit the magical armor.

2) Strength is useless for mages and Int is useless for warriors, that was different in the first game.

N
stranger
stranger
N
So at the very least, using the magic primarily as a means to use buff/debuff, or support with effects should still be completely feasible if you aren't looking to primarily focus the magic for damage?

veteran
veteran
Yeah, that is what I said wink

N
stranger
stranger
N
Fair enough smile I was overthinking it a bit. I'm still not completely used to some of the attribute changes. It had seemed like my hybrid battlemage type preferring natural vitality and evasiveness was able to function well with melee damage or hitting a burning or vampiric touch for adequate damage when needed.

veteran
veteran
Sadly, they heavily dumbed down the stats frown

journeyman
journeyman
Is polymorph considered a mage skill? Is a polymorph rouge, fighter or ranger viable?

veteran
veteran
I guess, that depends on which polymorph skills you want to use. some are more physical and some are more utility. Warrior and Scoundrel probably work best with it though. Growing wings on the other hand can help rangers and mages to get a better position.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, that is what so hard about starting a game. I kinda feel like you have to start a few characters before you understand the game well enough. I can see what the starting skills require in terms of attributes, but I have no idea if this translates to later level. Do you feel like the presets are fairly viable? Like the battle mage for instance. I don't mind if they aren't totally min/maxed I just don't want to play a totally sucky build.

veteran
veteran
I never use the presets honestly. Some are probably decent, some are more like bullshit, but I mix my own cocktail anyway.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I just use the presets as a baseline to build off, they at least give me a rough idea on where i want to focus depending on what i'm trying to do. Now i'm just trying to figure how to plan out my party with the changes in attributes

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
2) Strength is useless for mages and Int is useless for warriors, that was different in the first game.

How was it different in the first one? Int was useless for warriors too you were simply forced to get int to have 100% cast chance.
In DOS2 int only affect the damage. So you can learn buff spells without having to put a set amount in intelligence for nothing but to be able to cast the spell.

veteran
veteran
Every 2 intelligence points after 4 int reduces the cooldown of magic school skills by 1 turn until 10, then you don't reduce spells cooldown until 13.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, I'd second that. I just took another look at the skills. I don't know if the skills requirements will get too high as you progress, but about half the spells won't require int, so pairing magic with other types of skills seems viable. Not the most efficient, but viable none the less.

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 15/09/17 07:13 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
The only way I see you pulling this off is by going with Geomancer as your Mage half, because it will increase you Physical Armour passively. Weapon attacks from Warfare will scale off Intelligence if you use a Staff or Wand, so you would be free to pump Int WAY high, and you could pump Geo up and still maintain a decent amount of Physical Armour.

Cas

P.S. There are also a few Geo Skills that give Physical Armour too you.

Last edited by Castielle; 15/09/17 09:31 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard