Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#612930 17/09/17 12:53 AM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I noticed that the offhand weapon doesn't crit on backstabs any more. That pretty much kills the point of having a 2nd dagger in your offhand right? Since the whole point of daggers is proccing backstabs - if you can't, then any other one hander will fill the role better right?

journeyman
journeyman
May want to check to see if there are any scoundrel abilities that specifically mention off-hand before you go and switch your offhand.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I have to check it out! I knew something was wrong, but I needed you to point it out, only one of every two hits is a crit

I anyone finds out more, do share.

veteran
veteran
So is this a bug, or a balance decision for removing the Backstabber Talent and putting it onto daggers inherently?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Strange my daggers are just fine.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Yeah, it doesn't seem offhand daggers crit.

However, aren't the other one-handed weapons going to scale with STR? I still don't see a reason to use anything but dual daggers.

J
stranger
stranger
J
What about spears? If the offhand isn't critting, what's the point in using two weak daggers when you can use a spear that hits a lot harder, doesn't require positioning and scales off finesse?

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by jdpvagabond
What about spears? If the offhand isn't critting, what's the point in using two weak daggers when you can use a spear that hits a lot harder, doesn't require positioning and scales off finesse?

Because daggers let you use Scoundrel abilities, spears do not. Stuff like Rupture Tendons are some of the best skills in the game.

Last edited by frogl5; 18/09/17 08:09 PM.
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
It does seem pretty useless, though it does help scale up the damage of any abilities you have, I think. Right now I guess if a non dagger 1 hand weapon gives you a better damage total on your character sheet I can't see any reason to not use it instead of a dagger.

Tbh I hope they fix this. Some scoundrel lovers are still saying they are good but the base damage on a two handed weapon is easily the same as the crit damage on a single dagger, so I'm not quite sure what the point of daggers is except to use the dagger skills because it's more work to maneuver into a backstab position without getting ganked than it is to walk up and start smacking away with a 2 handed weapon.

Going to mess around with the class a bit in my next party, maybe I'll find I'm wrong altogether.

apprentice
apprentice
i wish Larian would reply to these kind of posts..

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Did you check to see if Flury can still backstab?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Lol just made a post about the very same issue.

Yes i tried, i confirm flury backstabs on all three attacks for reduced damage tho.

So i guess it's a bug, a kinda bad one too, literally gimping scoundrel dps

This also explains why rogue felt so subpar even with good equip ( level 5 right now, on tactician, with two 15 attack daggers)

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm playing on tactician currently in reapers coast level 14 and my rogue is one of my best characters thus far. I'll leave some of my findings from my experience in regards to some of the issues you guys posted.

INC wall of text:

Originally Posted by Infiltrator
I noticed that the offhand weapon doesn't crit on backstabs any more. That pretty much kills the point of having a 2nd dagger in your offhand right? Since the whole point of daggers is proccing backstabs - if you can't, then any other one hander will fill the role better right?

The offhand weapon DOES crit. Check the combat logs it does in fact say that bot hits are a critical hit. (At least for me, check the double crossed swords on the bottom right)

The problem might be (for you might not have noticed) the offhand weapons do half the damage of main hand weapons, even though the dagger stats are the same, not sure what the thought process was on that. Think there should be a talent that allows more damage for offhand weapons. That or let dual wield also increase offhand damage more. Something like that.

Originally Posted by rickbuzz
Some scoundrel lovers are still saying they are good but the base damage on a two handed weapon is easily the same as the crit damage on a single dagger, so I'm not quite sure what the point of daggers is except to use the dagger skills because it's more work to maneuver into a backstab position without getting ganked than it is to walk up and start smacking away with a 2 handed weapon.

My rogue does more damage than my 2 hander user so long as she gets backstabs off. They have fairly equal gear and my two-hander has a weapon one level higher than the rogues. As long the rogue backstabs (which should be nigh every attack) she does about 20% more damage with a normal auto attack than my two-hander.

Also with backlash/cloak and dagger and "The Pawn" talent it really isn't that bad. 1 ap on two skills that can get you behind for backstabs or out of attacks of opportunity (haven't gotten duck duck goose yet) and a free 1 ap worth of movement it's easy to get to backstab position.

Originally Posted by mrbig
Lol just made a post about the very same issue.

Yes i tried, i confirm flury backstabs on all three attacks for reduced damage tho.

So i guess it's a bug, a kinda bad one too, literally gimping scoundrel dps

This also explains why rogue felt so subpar even with good equip ( level 5 right now, on tactician, with two 15 attack daggers)

My rogue didnt really start to shine until level 8 once you get the critical multiplier up a bit with scoundrel investments and gear. Sitting at 210% right now at level 14.

Flurry seems to do about 20% more damage than a normal attack assuming all attacks land. I never use it since the extra 1 ap is more useful for repositioning movement and using backlash/cloak and dagger. That or using a scroll for fortify or what have you.

If you are wondering about my other party members are
a two hander polymorph warfarer geomancy (geo strictly for mending ad fortify)
a necro hydro huntsman (hydro for resto/soothing cold/amour of frost)
a 1-hand shielder summoner polymorph warfarer that summons strickly a blood incarnate. (thing is op)

Happy to answer questions on stats/party members/gear and what not. Also if anyone finds something different in their experiences please correct me.

veteran
veteran
It's not documented well, but if you hover over your damage, it says that there's a -50% damage penalty for your offhand weapon when Dual wielding. It seems to be intentional for balance reasons.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
it's definitely not useless.
got a lvl 21 scoundrel.

overall the 2nd weapon is a 50% damage increase.
Buffed up sawtooth blade deals 3.6k crits straight to vitality - most enemies have between 5 and 10k vitality on that level.
This is is definitely good enough and gets the job done.

if the 2nd dagger gave full damage that would just be insane ~_~

the 2nd weapon is best used for stat increases though. i found a 3 slot weapon that I now socketet with +9 finesse ^_^

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard