Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I like to play games Ironman. The problem with Honour Mode in the first divinity original sin is that it was filled with cheap one shots. CONSTANT one shots where the whole party just dies instantly.

Is this game balanced for Ironman gameplay? Did they actually test it?

How often do you guys die instantly?

*Use broom*

*Party instantly dies*

"Oh, the broom of death, of course, I should've assumed that some brooms are combustible on use. "

Last edited by luzariuslive; 17/09/17 05:11 AM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Sadly you will be resorting to save scum with random ambushes that stacks immense odds against you (unless you know). Also to optimise your stats from weapons and armor since they are totally random.

Last edited by Cyka; 17/09/17 05:34 AM.
Z
banned
banned
Z
Difficulty is even more broken than in the first one.

S
S
One of the - if not the - hardest rpgs I have played. Save scum will be necessary.

My latest 4 save files are as follows:

Maybe

Just maybe....

Oh shit this may happen

YES!!!!!!!!!

Thee were saves mid fight, happens a lot.

Last edited by SgtSilock; 17/09/17 09:58 AM.
addict
addict
I rarely save scum for combat and I'm on act 2 atm (level 9).

Examine all your foes on your first turn or before you enter the fight with the lore master. The damage enemies have will give you exactly the idea of what you need to kill first to avoid getting gipped. There's 1 in every boss fight so far.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Honour mode in this game isn't really meant to be played before you know what to expect. It's not balanced for a first playthrough. If you still want to, always explore with 1 character while the rest of the party is somewhere safe and abuse fleeing when you get in combat unexpectedly.

Last edited by Monara; 17/09/17 11:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
If you don't like to save scum, then why are you playing Iron Man. Hell, you probably shouldn't even be playing Tactician before finishing the game once.

Don't expect any sympathy if you complain.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes there are quite a few one shots in this game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh yeah, there are. I'd say even more than in first so far. You have anything between insanely stacked odds that break your usual cheese setup or the good old wrong move/answer and whole party oneshotted right away.

I guess the only way is to have some guinea pig ranger with tons of wits and uncanny evasion scouting ahead of party and doing the talking, so that it can gtfo as soon as things go bad IF HE CAN ^^

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
*use a boat to cross a river*

*dies*

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Luuin

*dies*

lol...

I guess I'm gonna pass on this game. If the devs don't test it or try to balance the difficulty, then I'm not gonna waste my time with pointless frustration.

This is probably one of those games where you constantly alt tab to check a website, I hate that.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by luzariuslive

*dies*

lol...

I guess I'm gonna pass on this game. If the devs don't test it or try to balance the difficulty, then I'm not gonna waste my time with pointless frustration.

This is probably one of those games where you constantly alt tab to check a website, I hate that.

That's actually no longer the case. During EA, there were so many random sudden encounter with no warnings, or very minimal unnoticeable warning. One of the hardest fight was actually an ambush with insane range and the boss having a very powerful source skill.

This has been toned down heavily.

In Act 1 alone

The ambush range has been nerfed. If you proceed with caution, you can even see the enemy first especially if you hold the "Line of Sight" detection.

In one of the key fight of Act 1, they even start talking about how something might join them if they keep fighting.

Both of the ambush warned ahead of time.

Even in Act 2, so far, every ambush will have your char say something like

"What a great location for an ambush!"

Or how the quest dialogue is so obvious if you do it, ambush will happen.

Last edited by Ellezard; 17/09/17 04:21 PM.
veteran
veteran
lol...

You expect to play the game, completely blind, on the hardest difficulty/permadeath mode and be able to breeze through it without needing to save much?

The problem is not with the developers, but with your ridiculous expectations. I'm pretty sure that no game which has optional permadeath at the highest difficulty (as in a standard experience does not have permadeath) is meant to be done in permadeath mode for your first playthrough. They are meant for those who have played once before and know what they are doing.

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Ellezard

*dies*

lol...

That's actually no longer the case. During EA, there were so many random sudden encounter with no warnings, or very minimal unnoticeable warning. One of the hardest fight was actually an ambush with insane range and the boss having a very powerful source skill.

In Act 1 alone

The ambush range has been nerfed. If you proceed with caution, you can even see the enemy first especially if you hold the "Line of Sight" detection.

In one of the key fight of Act 1, they even start talking about how something might join them if they keep fighting.

Even in Act 2, so far, every ambush will have your char say something like

"What a great location for an ambush!"

Or how the quest dialogue is so obvious if you do it, ambush will happen.

Really? Hmm, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'm glad I posted. I can tell you play Ironman. You gave me exactly what I needed to know!

So you're saying as long as I prepare, focus & pay attention I could beat this game blind Ironman?

In Divinity Original Sin Honour Mode, I rolled two tanks in the beginning of the game and a single fireball killed them both when they were at full life and I even pumped up their health points, it was unbelievably stupid. Is there any problems like this in DOSII?

Last edited by luzariuslive; 18/09/17 08:57 PM.
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Stabbey
lol...

You expect to play the game, completely blind, on the hardest difficulty/permadeath mode and be able to breeze through it without needing to save much?

The problem is not with the developers, but with your ridiculous expectations. I'm pretty sure that no game which has optional permadeath at the highest difficulty (as in a standard experience does not have permadeath) is meant to be done in permadeath mode for your first playthrough. They are meant for those who have played once before and know what they are doing.

Games that I played that are great for blind Ironman:

Mass Effect 1,2,3
Dragon Age 1,2
Kotor 1
Vampire Masq Bloodlines
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Game of Thrones RPG
Of Orcs and Men

addict
addict
^Those games aren't really known for their difficulty really. Go play Xcom first playthrough blind ironman. It's turned based so it fits the theme a bit. Not saying that game is hard, but....those games don't really fit the bill for this game.

Hell Xcom even has an option that says "Hit this for ironman mode!".

M
stranger
stranger
M
Stupid oneshots in DoS1 ruined whole ironman experience for me. Like digging that grave inside city that just wiped my party without any warning. I hate oneshots crap in RPGs.

I just finished Act 1 in DoS2 and I did encounter one instadeath where that crucified zombie on poll zaps you for 9999 if you get close.

I hope in DoS3 devs remove ANY oneshot mechanics so that people could play ironmode with first playthrough

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mindw0rk
Stupid oneshots in DoS1 ruined whole ironman experience for me. Like digging that grave inside city that just wiped my party without any warning. I hate oneshots crap in RPGs.

I just finished Act 1 in DoS2 and I did encounter one instadeath where that crucified zombie on poll zaps you for 9999 if you get close.

I hope in DoS3 devs remove ANY oneshot mechanics so that people could play ironmode with first playthrough

In DoS 2, you were warned not to near the shriekers or they kill you. So I mean....

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by mindw0rk

666666 actually :p

But yeah, as the person above said, you were explicitely said "DON'T GO NEAR THEM !" and the whole quest is about finding weapons to depower them, so meh, no sympathy here.
(at most, I'll grant you that yeah, in all games it's always about "this is suicide !" to give the player the feeling he's badass and can take on unbelievable odds and come out on top, so said warnings are often pointless)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ellezard...

In Act 1 alone

What two fights are you hinting at? The worst ambushes for me were the frogs early on (you get a warning) and the four skeletons in Withermoore's tomb (you also should be warned by the three-skeleton-fight before). I lost both fights the first time.

I never lost a fight against the Deepdweller on the other hand but I saw him in advance.

At Radeka I knew that bad things would happen but I was surprised anyway. Good fight design, worth an evil witch.

Last edited by geala; 19/09/17 11:14 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard