Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
G
stranger
stranger
G
Same problem. It started in Wrecker's Cave around 14 hours in.

My save: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_r6kaeMnpLaRGF2OVduWlN2akU

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
Octaaf commented on steam and they are looking into it. Also some QA testers.

Hey.

Well that's good and it's all I wanted to hear. Just hope they fix this soon. Would there be any chance you could link the thread that he posted in please?

Thanks.

Voice

B
stranger
stranger
B
Hello when Larian Fix this Problem?
I send my Saves to Larian its really a big Problem i didnt wont Play the Game if i allways must restart if i Load.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I loaded uncorrupted save and everything was fine until I pressed F5 to quicksave and it is stuck in saving process. I can't load a save because the option is grayed out and it keeps saying "saving...".

EDIT:

nevermind, this save was also corrupted, because when I went to middle area of Fort Joy then game froze and crashed.

Last edited by Saltful; 17/09/17 10:38 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
The problem with saves crashing lies in levelcache files of your save. Haven't had a problem in the first act (levelcahce of Fort Joy was around 6 MB), in Reapers Coast when the total save size reached over 13 MB (~30 hrs of playtime), boom, 4 minutes loading screen and crashing when loading in-game.

So while hotfix might fix the further bloating of savegames, I wonder if they can do anything for existing saves.

journeyman
journeyman
I don't get why only some people have this problem and why they didn't have it in the EA. It seems like this is completely new to them.

Devpost on steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/6/3223871682614105719/?ctp=2

Last edited by FadeToBlack; 17/09/17 11:28 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
[quote=FadeToBlack]I don't get why only some people have this problem and why they didn't have it in the EA. It seems like this is completely new to them.[/quote]

It's prob because this issue seems to be mostly occurring on the steam platform and because most of the "fixes" revolve around loading a older save file. Meanwhile, players like myself who have no older save files to load, aside from the first autosave at the start of the game (I ain't starting my whole game over from scratch). That this issue is a major one for those players in my shoe who encounter this problem because the only fix would be to start over from the start of the game.

Those who don't encounter this issue are prob not very far in the game as I have noticed that this seems to mainly occur once you leave fort joy. Something in the patch released before this problem occurred screwed up with this save files in the game and they don't know what caused it. It would help if they released patch notes on steam or whatnot so we'd know what they altered/ fixed besides guessing all the time :$

Last edited by mirg; 17/09/17 12:00 PM. Reason: quote not working.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I don't think so tbqh because I had this problem before I applied any patches at all. Idk why you think the patch is responsible. They changed a lot from EA to full release, and the bug was added in the process.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I got it fairly early in the game. I quicksave a lot so that might be why.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I was having this problem almost as soon as I started Driftwood, and it kept getting worse and worse, but I slogged through it anyways. It got better after I cleared the act and moved onto the next zone, so perhaps it's some consolation that whatever the issue is isn't permanent? I'm now an act farther than that and my quicksaving and quickloading are working just fine.

Curiously, the bloating file size thing hasn't changed (my last one was 20.5 mb), but the problems with loading and such have gone away.

Last edited by Nirdish; 17/09/17 12:09 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Nirdish
I was having this problem almost as soon as I started Driftwood, and it kept getting worse and worse, but I slogged through it anyways. It got better after I cleared the act and moved onto the next zone, so perhaps it's some consolation that whatever the issue is isn't permanent? I'm now an act farther than that and my quicksaving and quickloading are working just fine.

Curiously, the bloating file size thing hasn't changed (my last one was 20.5 mb), but the problems with loading and such have gone away.

It's natural, since the issue is with paricular act "general" file in your savegame. So if you had the issue in Fort Joy, it will reset in Reaper's Coast, and issues in Reaper's Coast will dissapear in next zone.

Basically, the bloating is zone-specific (or act specfic).

Last edited by Ratzing; 17/09/17 12:17 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Can anybody confirm that if you avoid using quick saves, and hard save only, this issue won't raise it's ugly head?

apprentice
apprentice
Okay! So...I did some testing with suggestions offered earlier.

I followed some earlier advice about editing the save file---and I extracted the fortjoy level cache file from the saved game of my initial landing on the beach, then took my corrupted save and extracted the fortjoy level cache file--deleted the corrupted one, replaced it with the one from the intial landing at fort joy..and voila! (you actually don't need to replace the fortjoy cache file, you can just delete it and re-package the save and it'll create a new, clean one)

Everything was/is working except--with lots of weird issues. The map and world, including loot thinks you have never been there. You can re-loot everything. Some NPC's dont talk to you, pets don't talk to you, people you killed are now alive again. ETC--lots of weird stuff.

So, while it fixes the loading/saving--it breaks a bunch of other things which I can't seem to un-break.

This game that was corrupted most recently was a complete re-start without stealing anything at all--so it will happen again and again if I were to start again. So I have to stop playing until it's fixed.

The problem with the saves, I think, lies somewhere in the cache file for fort joy. It is possible to edit that cache file as plain text--but as I'm not a coder, nor have idea what to look for-- so it wouldn't help me much. But clearly, the result of the main problem is getting saved in that (and any) cache file. I think if someone knew more about coding/xml than I did (I know nothing)--the problem area could be deleted and the save could be salvaged.

But, as it stands now--fixing the save/load problems introduces a host of other weird issues. More importantly--the original bug causing this to happen will continue to happen in fort joy and whatever other zones you're in.

That means I need to stop playing until it's fixed, sadly. If anyone else has any other ides..by all means!

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by ekidhardt
That means I need to stop playing until it's fixed, sadly. If anyone else has any other ides.. by all means!

Hey.

That is what I've done now. Don't get me wrong. When your in game and playing it's fine and dandy. But, if you need to reload then you're screwed. Not worth it.

Will just have to wait till they fix this.

Voice

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I think the problem is with the amount of useless data the save game needs to deal with.
For example why do corpse not getting removed from the game? Their is no reason they getting saved on how they died or where.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Okay, i think i got it because it works for me. First of all i went to my savefiles -> check properties from all files and delete all files bigger than 6,8mb. Everything over 7mb is corrupted and you'll get 5min loading times and crashes/freezes.

Then i used this method here: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605573 with my latest savefile that is between 6 - 6,8mb that is not corrupted.

Ingame dont use quicksave. always save manually and dont overwrite them. always use a new one.

This method is just temporary. That means you can play for like 2-3 hours befor it gets corrupted again. Every now and then again to your savefiles and check your latest file if its over 7mb or already 8mb. IF SO: delete them, use the method again and play again for few hours.

It works for me, maybe it'll work for you.

I
stranger
stranger
I
[quote=HoppStyle]
Ingame dont use quicksave. always save manually and dont overwrite them. always use a new one.

This method is just temporary. That means you can play for like 2-3 hours befor it gets corrupted again. Every now and then again to your savefiles and check your latest file if its over 7mb or already 8mb. IF SO: delete them, use the method again and play again for few hours.

It works for me, maybe it'll work for you. [/quote]

So even if we dont quicksave and always save manually as a new savegame the game WILL get corrupted anyway?

Maybe (just maybe) the problem is saving itself at the moment.
If you noticed: If you save the game (quicksave or not) the screen will go grey for a short moment where you cant do anything, then the game goes back to normal BUT you can still read on the bottom right "Saving" and the notification that the game is saved comes a few seconds later.
The problem: You can walk, loot, talk, fight, sell, buy ect. while the game is still saving.

Coud this be the reason the save gets corrupted? Course you and the NPCs do "stuff" while the game is still trying to save?

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
@HoppStyle you're not wrong actually. I have a string of 7 autosaves that are all between 6mb and 7mb, no problems loading any of them - the 8th autosave is about 2,5 hours after the 7th and is suddenly close to 10mb and has all kind of issues. I have no idea what could've caused this bug either, the only thing I did was clean up Flesner and his lackeys. If the problem is related to stealing then the only I stole from are the silent monks.

I simply don't get it, seems like you get the bug randomly at normal play..

C
stranger
stranger
C
tl;dr I found at least one big problem with my level cache, but it should be fixable

I too am having this problem at fort joy, which started to become visible once I began stealing things from NPCs. Given that theft probably causes creation of a timers and queued interactions, the software developer in me got suspicious that some resources were being created/duplicated and not properly removed.

I'm not talking about memory management per-se, but the deletion of events either completed or no-longer valid. Given that save files are growing and the crashing starts to happen at memory exhaustion, my guess is a ridiculous number of copies of something in the save file, with the file compression hiding the scope of the problem until you go to load it.

-------

After reading about the level cache change-out fix, I decided to decompress my levelcache and see what was going on. Assuming that ExportTool v1.8.3 isn't lying to me, I wonder if it is normal for the cache to contain 27,642 nearly identical copies of ITEM_Ceramic_Pot_A and 27,661 _FTJ_Brutes_Knife. My uncompressed levelcache in XML format was nearly 300MB, mostly filled with copies of the ceramic pot and the knife.

The good news is if this is truly the problem, our save files are likely fixable in all but the laziest of conceivable patches. There may still be more going on, so only Larian can offer an official explanation and answer whether a restart will be required.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
That's really interesting and somewhat hopeful, Chris. If you have any save files that are under 7mb, could you tell us if those are also filled with ceramic pots and brutes knives or if it is just in the bloated saves?

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard