Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
S
stranger
stranger
S
BTW do you people with corrupted save files also have the problem where game locks up when you go to Fort Joy kitchen area? Like insane memory leak that my entire PC is locked up and I cant alt-tab, only hear in-game music and thats it.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I just got the crash on reload as well. Here's my save files - one that seems to work, one that does not. They're before and after a fight happened in act 1 in a particular cave with roses so it might be useful.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au28bZFM86HIgcN2m0vCu1Mkzswifg

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by Saltful
BTW do you people with corrupted save files also have the problem where game locks up when you go to Fort Joy kitchen area? Like insane memory leak that my entire PC is locked up and I cant alt-tab, only hear in-game music and thats it.

Yeah, that's the memory leak area. If you're unlucky it'll crash your entire PC because windows no longer has any RAM left to keep running.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I restarted my game using a new profile. I did some messing around Fort Joy and here's where I narrowed it down (for me at least).

Tested killing certain NPC, stealing outside loot, stealing from vendors, not stealing, and a few other things. The moment this bug occurred was after initiating the fight with the Fire Slugs in the caves. Loading a quicksave that I created right before the fight carried over the bug, loading a regular save that was a few minutes earlier DID NOT carry the bug over.

I was able to continue my game normally without dealing with the slugs (I did the Red Prince marriage pass) in combat and I haven't had any issues at least for now

C
stranger
stranger
C
[quote=Eolath]That's really interesting and somewhat hopeful, Chris. If you have any save files that are under 7mb, could you tell us if those are also filled with ceramic pots and brutes knives or if it is just in the bloated saves? [/quote]

All of my manual saves and quicksaves are over 7MB. The autosaves are smaller and interestingly, they only have a handful of ceramic pots and brute's knives instead of tens of thousands.

It does look like there is some sort of item duplication that occurs in the levelcache, but maybe the autosave has a different/abbreviated format leaving out that junk.

An experiment to try, load up your latest autosave and see if it has the same freezing problems. Either way, there is a bug in the game and the save file growth is just a symptom of that. i.e. there is nothing we can do for now except temporarily delay the problem.

I am tempted to write a program to parse and fixup the levelcache, but without knowing what is causing the problem, that seems too dangerous.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Not fort Joy, but multiple other areas the same ones always, freezes for about 1 minute completely.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
So basically we know it can happen in multiple acts, at seemingly any time, and for some reason we have tons of duplicate entries for pots and knives.

S
stranger
stranger
S
[quote=CurryCatastrophe]The moment this bug occurred was after initiating the fight with the Fire Slugs in the caves. [/quote]

I did not fight fireslugs at all, but I got that mem leak/long loading bug aswell. So fireslugs are not the case.

I'm going to try to restart a game with the whole Larian folder cleaned, disabled autosaves and 1 quicksave (since you can't disable it). I'm just curious if it will work with manual saving only

T
stranger
stranger
T
[quote=ToxicBurrito]I just got the crash on reload as well. Here's my save files - one that seems to work, one that does not. They're before and after a fight happened in act 1 in a particular cave with roses so it might be useful.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au28bZFM86HIgcN2m0vCu1Mkzswifg[/quote]

To follow up, I've tried to reproduce this.

I loaded up my good save, then saved right after I killed Radeka the Witch again (I only killed her in that encounter before saving again) and my file bloated up by about 1 mb. Reloading that file worked, but resaving over the bugged file increased its bloating by 1 mb.

Guess I am not doing that fight right now :\

Last edited by ToxicBurrito; 17/09/17 06:40 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
^
I don't think it's related to a specific enemy. For me it triggered after Miles, for Curry after the Fire Slugs and for you after Radeka. Or perhaps it's related to all of them, I don't know.

Originally Posted by ChrisPVille
An experiment to try, load up your latest autosave and see if it has the same freezing problems.

My autosaves are also corrupt, it's just that the only save that went back far enough to be before the save game bloat occurred was an auto save smile

S
stranger
stranger
S
This seems to be my last uncorrupted save:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kFkXbsa-xLNVI4ZzRnQjl4ck0

This seems to be the first corrupted save:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kFkXbsa-xLQktzcm9ja1hKdTQ

L
stranger
stranger
L
80% of the uncompressed level cache seems to be the same thing repeated over and over. Removing all that and repacking seems to fix the issues, shorter load times and no freezing, but gives a warning that the same has been tampered with.

Hopefully the root cause of this can be fixed soon.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Originally Posted by livemas
80% of the uncompressed level cache seems to be the same thing repeated over and over. Removing all that and repacking seems to fix the issues, shorter load times and no freezing, but gives a warning that the same has been tampered with.

Hopefully the root cause of this can be fixed soon.

How about the size after repacking, is it about the same as before the bloat?

B
stranger
stranger
B
i load a 10 mb update now maby they have fixed the Problem.Sry for
my bad english

T
stranger
stranger
T
[quote=Eolath]^
I don't think it's related to a specific enemy. For me it triggered after Miles, for Curry after the Fire Slugs and for you after Radeka. Or perhaps it's related to all of them, I don't know.
[/quote]

Yup, the fire slugs don't seem to be triggering bloating for me. This is fascinating as it is annoying.

Edit: HOLY HELL THE 10 MB PATCH FIXED IT FOR ME :O

Last edited by ToxicBurrito; 17/09/17 07:00 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
[quote=livemas]80% of the uncompressed level cache seems to be the same thing repeated over and over. Removing all that and repacking seems to fix the issues, shorter load times and no freezing, but gives a warning that the same has been tampered with.
...[/quote]

I'm glad that worked. I didn't want to try because the duplicated items seemed to have references to their handles in other parts of the file, but it looks like I was either mistaken, or the file is parsed in an order which is insensitive to them (or your game will explode at some later date).

I wonder if the tamper warning is caused by errors during parsing or a failure of the embedded MD5sum or both. Does anyone know if there is a technical description of the levelcache and what it is used for?

S
stranger
stranger
S
I just got a 10mb update on Steam, a fix?

EDIT:

Can confirm, fixed it.

Last edited by Saltful; 17/09/17 07:08 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Hm, I don't see it on GOG yet. Maybe I'm blind or it'll trigger later or something.

L
stranger
stranger
L
The new update fixes corrupted saves??

C
stranger
stranger
C
I just got the patch through Steam, resaved my latest, and my levelcache is now 1/6th the size it was and all the duplicated knives and pots are gone! No freezes yet.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard